ForumsQuestionsWhen can we have repeat task yearly by day of week function?

When can we have repeat task yearly by day of week function?
Infoholic

Posted: May 29, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am a new Toodledo Pro user and am starting to transfer recurring tasks from my old task management tool.

Many of these recurring tasks repeat yearly on a given day of the week in a given month. For example:

- Every third Sunday of October - Change clocks for daylight saving
- Every first Sunday of May - Ring mum for Mother's Day

This functionality is also handy when you are scheduling a task to call to make, for example, an appointment annual check-up with your doctor. If the repeat date is set by day of month (5 June) there is approximately a 2 in 7 chance that the due date for that task will be on a weekend day. It would be better to be able to set the repeat for such a task to be, for example, Every first Monday on June.

I searched the forums and found this question asked a few time and the last response from Toodledo about a year ago was roughly: "Good idea. It's on the list. We'll get to it soon"

Can Toodledo advise when or if we can expect this functionality to be added because not having it is a mild annoyance for me and I am guessing some other users too.

Thanks in advance for you reply.
Linden

Posted: May 29, 2010
Toodledo doesn't comment on timelines for feature updates: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2/0/read-me-first.html

You can rest assured that it's on their list of features to implement, though!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jun 01, 2010
Its on the list :)
Infoholic

Posted: Jun 04, 2010
Thanks to Linden and Toodledo for the reply.

While I understand that exact dates of features can't be published surely something better than "It's on the list" can be published. "It's on the list" could mean it will be available next month or it could be available in two years.

The "repeat task yearly by day of week function" is important to the way I (and possibly other users) want to enter things in a task list. I really don't want to enter a whole lot of information into Toodledo only to find out the feature is "on the list" with a priority of "Yeah. Some day when we get around to it"

I am sure the Toodledo developers have some idea about the development priority of features and as such I do not think it is unreasonable for Toodledo to at least provide some general indication (e.g. next three months, next six months, next years, etc) of the current development priority of a feature.

Fortunately I have not invested too much time in moving my to-do list to Toodledo. I will now have to reconsider my options.
Linden

Posted: Jun 05, 2010
You're welcome, Infoholic. You make a good point, of course, about the ability to plan whether to stick around.

Unfortunately, even if Toodledo was plannning the upgrade for, say, a month from now (and announced it), something critical could come along and derail the original timeframe. That would be understandably frustrating if you had been sticking around on the promise of the short turnaround and you'd be left in a bind having dedicated the time to entering all your tasks in the meantime.

Because of this, it's really best to make your decision based on the current feature set. If something's really a dealbreaker, it's not worth the risk of it not being implemented on schedule -- you need to find something that can do it now.

If I had to take a guess, I'd say the repeat options will be upgraded within the next 6 months or so. But I'm not affiliated with Toodledo beyond being a customer, so this guess is just that -- a guess based off my vague impression of the relative complexity of this change compared to some of the other big upgrades in the works.

Best of luck, whichever way you choose to go!

This message was edited Jun 05, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.