ForumsQuestionsNative Android Application

Native Android Application
jesseperla

Posted: Jun 01, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Hi there,
Love the product but I am moving from this god-awful iPhone to an Android 2.1 device in a few weeks. Any hope for a native application on Android?
If not, I won't be renewing my subscription as I need a fat client when inside of subways.

-Jesse
buesingde

Score: 0 Reference
Got to do is a pretty good toodledo client for android...check it out as there is a free version with ads and a paid one (~2 €)...

Cheers,
Matze
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Check our "Tools & Services" section for a link to the Android app.
esthon

Posted: Nov 24, 2010
Hi there,
I just bought a Nexus One and didn't find a native app for Android... I do my words jesseperla's ones.
It is disappoint not have a native app. Is there a prevision on how are we going to have?

I am a very enthusiast for toodledo and always say that there are support for all platforms, how was my surprise to discover this is not true. As I know Android is now the second smartphone platform in the market and Gartner predicts it will be the first...

Please, let me know what are your plans to have a native app for Android.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 25, 2010
There are at least 4 android apps that sync with Toodledo already. We don't have any immediate plans to make our own, so I would try one of them.
aidanw

Posted: Nov 25, 2010
I've tried most of the Android apps for 2.1 and found that "Got To Do" worked the best because:
- It was fast and responsive
- It looked good
- I liked the automatic colour coding for importance
- The reports (Due Today, Hotlist, Folders etc) are useful
- It brings in all data from Got To Do including sub-tasks (although, it doesn't display them clearly)
- Notes were displayed on the same page, not requiring another click.

Most importantly, and even the reason I'm here instead of using RTM, is that the sync has been flawless.
dlmsantiago

Posted: Dec 28, 2010
I'm confused by this response:

Posted by Toodledo:
Check our "Tools & Services" section for a link to the Android app.

... particularly given that the title if this thread is "Native Android Application" - when I check the section you referenced all I see are links to third-party applications. Am I missing the native app that would logically be present in order for this response to make sense?

I'm looking for a better-priced alternative to Nozbe (your feature list for them is in serious need of updating, BTW), but my regular use of PC/Mac desktops, iPad, and Android phone (HTC Incredible) require that I have a solid Android app that can be used offline. Given the current Android market-share, I think it shows a serious lack of judgement for a pay service to be so far behind in making this available (for the record, while not yet available on the Marketplace, Nozbe's native Android app is entering the beta testing stage). The fact that the question of an Android app has been on the table in your forums for over a year now is far from encouraging.

Is Toodledo the solution for me, or can I expect the lackluster attitude toward support of the fastest-growing smartphone platform to continue. I need to know BEFORE I put my money somewhere.
Andrew A

Posted: Dec 28, 2010
Probably just a vocabulary issue. Native usually means something built for that platform.

Native software: Software specifically written, compiled, or assembled to run on a particular system. Native code uses all the individual features of the target system with no regard for generality or portability.

So there are lots of native android apps that synch with toodledo. That said, I would, looking forward to when I move away from my iphone, love one from the TD developers or SOMEONE that mimics the workflow and interface of their iPhone app. I like it as it is.

That said, TD is well worth the money, or you can continue to use the free version. Both android and iphone and whatever else with a new browser can handle both the web interface and slim web versions. And I would suspect that the whole reason that companies publish APIs is so that other developers can fill customer needs or evolve the app to something else without the primary's permission or input.

This message was edited Dec 28, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 29, 2010
We would like to have an official native app for all smart phone platforms, but we don't have the resources for this at the moment. There are many good quality third-party apps that can fill the void until we have a free developer to throw at Android or WM7 or Palm or Blackberry, or whatever. In an ideal world we would like to have it all, but we are a small company with limited time.
NMD

Posted: Jan 05, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I'd like to add my voice to those requesting Toodledo for Android. I am currently looking for a GTD app for my new Android phone that also has good web and desktop interfaces, and if I find one, it will unfortunately be goodbye to Toodledo.

I love Toodledo, but I'm frustrated that I have to use third parties for phone and desktop apps. My current set up using Toodledo (web), Task Angel (desktop), and Done! (Palm Pre phone) is not at all optimal. The sync of Toodledo with TaskAngel is very subpar. And I just switched my smart phone from Palm/WebOS to Android precisely because the WebOS platform does not offer the apps I want or need.

Please note that Toodledo is missing out on $ because of this. Of the $38 total I've spent for my for my current set up, only $15 went to Toodledo.

With iOS and Android clearly emerging as the two successful smartphone/tablet operating systems, and with consumers willing to use both systems (e.g. a Droid phone and iPad), it seems to me that any application that wants to thrive will need to develop good syncing versions for both platforms.

Thanks for listening.
sprouty76

Posted: Jan 19, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Toodledo:
We would like to have an official native app for all smart phone platforms, but we don't have the resources for this at the moment. There are many good quality third-party apps that can fill the void until we have a free developer to throw at Android or WM7 or Palm or Blackberry, or whatever. In an ideal world we would like to have it all, but we are a small company with limited time.

The problem is that the developer of the best known android app also seems to be suffering with limited time, and it's becoming an issue. With the current state of Android apps for ToodleDo, I'm now having to consider whether or not I look for alternative task managers.
john_1294942208

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
Is toodeldo coming out with a android app? Ive held back upgrading for this fact. BTW Iphone is not the only smartphone out there. 2011 and still no app and no responses.
john_1294942208

I think we have our answer, i will not be using tooledo, why would i trust a company with my tasks, if "they do not have the resources to do a andorid app" which i probably could do in a few week oversees. oh well. search continues
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are focusing on the iPhone and website right now. We don't want to spread ourselves too thin. There are several really good Android apps already that sync with Toodledo. You can find them in the 3rd party section of our Tools & Services page.

http://www.toodledo.com/connections.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.