ForumsQuestionsHow do I import into Notebook?

How do I import into Notebook?
jfaughnan

Posted: Sep 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I have a few hundred notes from my Palm I want to bring into Notebook now that Appigo has released Notebook 1.0 (tonight).

Alas, I now realize there's no import facility for notes!!

Any ideas?

Needless to say, I'd like something to be developed by, say, tomorrow :-).

john
[email protected]
tags: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, toodledo notebook
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 13, 2008
Sorry, but the Notebook does not yet have import, export or search. These are all things that we are working on for a future update.

Thanks
jfaughnan

Posted: Sep 13, 2008
Well, I appreciate that you're working on it!

I really want toodledo to succeed. Please email me if you need beta testers. I have a gift for finding bugs!

john
[email protected]
raabrr

Posted: Sep 16, 2008
I need the same feature! I have a several hundred, maybe a thousand, notes I'd like to import from my extinct Sony Clie Palm based device.

I've been waiting since January for Apple to open up the iTouch to third party development so that I can finally ditch my Clie and migrate ALL of my data.

Alas, I can't complete this migration without the help of Toodledo! How much do I need to pay you guys to add this feature?
abettison

I'm sure you're suddenly getting overwhelmed with requests like this now that Appigo has released Notebook, which looks like the best syncing note-taking app on the App Store. I'd just like to add my voice to the chorus :)

I've only just started playing around with this (unlike raabrr for example, I only have 400 notes, but that's still a lot of copy-pasting!) and the first thing I did with toodledo was look for note importing. I'd love to see this; I'm coming from the Palm but could probably whip up a script to convert my Palm data to something (XML? CSV?) that could be imported by toodledo.

Much as I hate to sound like I'm trying to bribe you, I'm with raabrr (if he's serious!) in that I'd willingly donate some money towards this - I guess the best way would be through subscribing to a Pro account? I'm also willing to help with testing; I'm a developer myself and am quite meticulous when submitting bug reports (I'll happily spend a good while working out how to reproduce errors).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you want to help with a donation, please feel free to purchase a Pro or Pro plus account. We do take feature suggestions from Pro members with a little more weight.

Also, if you want to help from a technical point of view, you could send us a sample note export file from your Palm devices. You can send it to [email protected]

Thanks
jebanks

Posted: Sep 17, 2008
(I just sent this to Toodledo via the email form on this site, but I'm posting the text here (and in Appigo's Google Group) so that others who concur can weigh in as well.)

Hello Toodledo,

I'm a new Toodledo Pro member, and I'd like to join in on a frequent Notebook feature request.

I've signed up because I have purchased Appigo Todo & Notebook for my iPhone, and I'll be using Toodledo as the replacement for Microsoft Entourage Notes and Tasks on the Mac. (I bought the Pro subscription for the encryption feature.)

Previously, I used the combination of Entourage and a Palm Treo to make all of my personal information mobile. (Microsoft makes it really easy to replace the Palm desktop application with Entourage through their Palm Conduit, and the Entourage Calendar and Address Book also sync with Mac Sync Services.) Now that I'm using an iPhone, I can no longer sync Entourage Notes and Tasks to my mobile device.

Todo & Notebook are a great solution for me, since they offer both sync and offline/local storage of data on the iPhone. None of the other Note/Task options available for the iPhone work as well for my needs.

Now, I'd like to add my name to the growing chorus of those requesting that import/export options be added a.s.a.p. to the Toodledo Notebook. I have about 500 notes in Entourage and on my Treo which I would like to get into the Toodledo/Appigo Notebook without tedious pruning and hand-copying.

Further, I'd like to lobby for some options that work specifically with Entourage.

Entourage doesn't have good export options built in, but there's an Applescripter named Paul Berkowitz who has created a package of scripts that export virtually everything in the Entourage database in just about any common format. They're available here:

http://scriptbuilders.net/files/exportimportentourage1.3.10.html

If Toodledo introduces import/export options in the same way that you import and export tasks, there would be a workaround for me: disable the Entourage Palm conduit, load my Notes from the Treo back into Palm desktop, and then use your import tool. But if you could create something that works directly with Entourage and/or the Berkowitz export formats, it would be much more convenient.

I think that for both Toodledo and Appigo, the market of Mac Entourage/iPhone users could be a big part of your business. If you could offer import-export options for Notebook, you'd be fulfilling a huge need. The lack of Note/Task options with offline storage kept me from buying an iPhone for over a year, and if others in my situation could find out about the combined Toodledo/Appigo solutions, you'd potentially have lots of new customers.

(And in a perfect world, it would be awesome if Toodledo could sync directly with the Entourage database without the need for importing or exporting. Think about it!)

Thanks for listening,
Jim B.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Believe me, we are very aware of the need to have an import tool for the Notebook and we are working hard to make it. If you want to help, please send us some sample import files so we can test our tool against a wide range of files to make sure that it is compatible.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ok, here is an "experimental" CSV notebook importer. If you are feeling adventurous, you can try this out.

http://www.toodledo.com/import_note.php

We have tested it in the following scenario:

Palm Desktop 4.1.4
Memo export using the Comma Separated (.CSV) file format.
Import via the link above and set the first column to "note" and the last column to "folder".

Please let us know if you get it to work in other scenarios.
stuu

Posted: Sep 18, 2008
Just tried the "experimental" importer with a small UTF-8 (Japanese characters included) text file. Worked fine!

Having edited the file by hand (and being the clumsy typist that I am) I ended up with a lot of funky folder names. Is there any easy way to mass-edit notes once they're uploaded to Toodledo or at least mass-delete so I can fix the CSV offline and re-upload?

Stu
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 18, 2008
Sorry, there is no mass edit/delete of the Notebook yet.
joevie

Posted: Sep 19, 2008
I was wondering if you can make a change on the "experimental" CSV Import....

If you can make the title the first line ( Sentence ) from the imported CSV File.

Right now it is the first line of the CSV and adds part of the second line and then " ... " to it. I end up manually cleaning the title.

So far I imported about 150 Outlook Notes and it is working fine, except for the Title.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
jebanks

Posted: Sep 21, 2008
Thanks for posting the experimental Note importer.

I've been fooling around with it, and there's a problem I can't figure out.

I'm exporting Notes from Mac Entourage using Berkowitz's Export-Import Applescripts. The script exports notes as tab-delimited. I open the Berkowitz exports in Excel in order to re-save them as a CSV file for Toodledo. However, the body of the note comes out in the CSV file with paragraph symbols where there were line breaks before. When I run the CSV through the Toodledo importer, another symbol gets inserted in the note body: a vertical line split in two.

Is there any way to get the line breaks to show up correctly without having to manually edit hundreds of notes?

Thanks for any help.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 22, 2008
You might be able to do a "find and replace" on that character before importing it into Toodledo. You could use excel or any text editor to do this.

Hope that helps.
abettison

Posted: Sep 24, 2008
Wow.

I just came here to post a quick note saying I hadn't yet got around to sending you some example data (my Palm sync is having issues that I need to sort). I was going to say I'd get some together in the next couple of days, but now I find you've already implemented an importer!

I'll give it a play - in the next few days - and see how it fares. Is there still any point me sending you any sample data in different formats (the data file as stored on the Palm, the data file stored on the Mac if you use Missing Sync, etc)?

I'll get myself a pro account when I'm all imported, as promised.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 24, 2008
If your import fails, then yes please send us some sample data.
abettison

Posted: Sep 26, 2008
It does fail. I think that it is interpreting newlines as the start of a new record, yet if I create a test record that includes newlines, it deals with them correctly.

I wonder if any of the problem is to do with me using a Mac instead of Windows? I tried changing the newlines from <CR> (Mac) to <CR><LF> (Win) but that failed.

Looking at the file exported from Palm Desktop, it doesn't actually even look like a CSV file. Note that Palm Desktop for the Mac is a completely different product to Palm Desktop for Windows, so the behaviour/features may be different. Does the Windows version of Palm Desktop specifically mention CSV in the export options? On the Mac, it is either "Tab and Return" or "Palm Desktop". No explicit mention of CSVs.

http://skitch.com/zoara/abfb/export-palm-desktop

I'll get some sample data together that demonstrates the problems and send it on - will hopefully get chance to play this weekend.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
A "Tab and Return" file is definitely not the same thing as a CSV file, which is why your import is failing. You can convert your TSV file to a CSV file by importing it into Excel and then exporting it again.

Hope that helps.
jhsidoc

What about for us previous Windows Mobile Users? The notes files were individual ".pwi" files. How can we import those into the notebook? Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.