ForumsQuestionsFiles and File Names and Pro Plus

Files and File Names and Pro Plus
Andrew A

Posted: Jun 09, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I wouldn't mind going super duper pro so I could attach files... but...

https://www.toodledo.com/info/files.php
"Keep in mind that filenames must be unique. If you upload a file that has the same name as an existing file, the new file will replace the old file."

Now I am just a schmuck who likely has lots of files with the same name (ok, really just a few) and I just know I would not think anything about it as I was uploading these files and accidentally clobber an existing file with a new file of the same name.

1) It really isn't that hard to rename files on the way up or down (back to the original name) and track 'em in the db and
2) Is there a warning of some kind that the file name already exists?

I know files are the value proposition to upgrade, I'm hooked, I just can't use it as documented and kick a couple of extra bucks your way.

Hey, maybe the docs are old and need to be updated and the enhancement is already there?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Currently, there is no warning or renaming. It just clobbers the old version. We have plans to improve upon this in the future.
Andrew A

Thanks. I look forward to it!
AA

Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
Currently, there is no warning or renaming. It just clobbers the old version. We have plans to improve upon this in the future.

That will be nice to see. The lack of a warning is probably the last thing right now that keeps me from upgrading from Pro to Pro Plus. I receive lots of important files that my collaborators simply name (for example) Doc1.docx. It would be a hassle for me to have to remember to rename each such file, and since there is currently no overwrite warning from Toodledo, I'd no doubt destroy some of my attachment files inadvertently.

Toodledo.com might perhaps automate this the way it's done by my email software. When I open the Doc1.docx document from inside my email software, it displays as Doc1.docx inside the Windows Temp directory. But, if I open another document titled Doc1.docx a minute later (and I often need to), then this document gets automatically renamed by the email software to Doc1(2).docx and opens in Windows Temp directory under that modified name. Any further documents with the same name open as Doc1(3).docx, Doc1(4).docx, Doc1(5).docx, etc.

So the fix on Toodledo.com might go like this: whenever a user attempts to upload a file under an already existing file-name, pop up the following dialog window for the user:

Do you wish to overwrite your current Doc1.docx file? Yes / No

If the user clicks No, the file would get uploaded and stored as Doc1(2).docx. Any subsequent files with the same name would get stored as Doc1(3).docx, Doc1(4).docx, Doc1(5).docx, etc., unless the user specifically selects the overwrite option.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Yes, this is what we are going to do. We already rename files when they are reassigned by a collaborator, to prevent someone else from clobbering your file, but we plan to make it more straight forward for your own files as well.
shun

Posted: Sep 02, 2010
I upgraded to Pro Plus recently.

I almost upload file via email file is attached, so file maybe overwrited without my awareness.

I hope filename will be renamed automatically when the same filename's file exists.

Also, I want to set the folder for files like a notebook.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.