ForumsQuestionsHow to Type in a new Hierarchical Project (feature request?)

How to Type in a new Hierarchical Project (feature request?)
jpv2112-s

Posted: Jun 09, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Hello,

I've been a pro user for a while now (and a GTD user). When planning a new project, I usually start with the result and then write all the tasks that are necessary to complete the end-goal. Then all those tasks get sub-tasks, which beget further sub-tasks, etc.

This makes for a basic outline format of project planning that I believe is widely used (e.g., MS project and other goal-setting systems).

Example:

Ultimate Project Outcome
---Contributory Task 1
------SubTask 1.1 (to complete cont. task 1)
------SubTask 1.2 (to complete cont. task 1)
---------subtask 1.2.1
---------subtask 1.2.2
---------subtask 1.2.3
------SubTask 1.3
---Contributory Task 2
------SubTask 2.1
---Contributory Task 3
---Contributory Task 4
---etc.

However, I don't see an easy way to type in such a hierarchical project plan using Toodledo. Currently Toodledo has 3 tiers of goals (lifelong, long term, short term) and only one level of sub-tasks.

Also, the "add multiple tasks" page doesn't allow sub-tasks to be generated.

Does anyone know how to "hack" this method in to the current Toodledo framework?

If not, I would like to see a page that allows users to type in a project hierarchy/outline and then assign the existing parameters to each task (context, time, due date, etc.). This would require more than one level of subtasks, so perhaps it would take some development time given the existing code.

I think this option would help graduate Toodledo from a full-featured task manager to a project-planning tool.

thanks,

JP
deekod

Posted: Jun 10, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Here's an example of my project planning using TD - this is a cut and paste from a master task note (status set to planning):

*PURPOSE*
--------------------------------------------------------------------
To lower stress, be more effective at work and at home, to be happy.

*PRINCIPLES*
I am not doing this because I want to spend forever finding the perfect GTD system.
Want to able to run a SIMPLE system - low overhead

*VISION / OUTCOME*
Simple and quick GTD management, quick collections, 24/7 access to my system.
Happier me, with less "overhead" in my brain taking me away from important things like having fun with my family and friends.

*BRAINSTORM*
Read the book again from scratch, need a good collection system for this - evernote?

24/7 access to the system - make use of smartphone - consider 5" and 7" tablet phones
Is a tablet phone not workable - too big for short pockets - able to stay in your pocket when doing active things like camping?
Sequence of events to re-structure TD
Use TD searches for issue logs
Need to build in "prompt" so that when a next action is completed, I go back to the project and select the next action - put project name in task name? - use tagging? (already used for energy)
Need a way to ensure I can select the next action using context, time, priority and energy filters - TD slim and andoird apps dont allow this - consider 5" and 7" tablet phones - demo with TD slim? can it fit in my pocket? etc.
Need a way to monitor waiting for tasks - reminder every Friday to chase all waiting for tasks - reminder every day to review top priority waiting for tasks and chase them up
Set up electronic "tickler" file system - read up on this in GTD first
Build in 50k to runway reviews - consider how vision prompts, TD goals and folders relate and can work efficiently
Build in next action selection by context, time, energy, priorty filters

*ORGANISE*
Read GTD book for at least 30mins a day, jott down actions into brainstorm list
Set up searches based on context/energy level/time?

*NEXT ACTIONS*
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Read GTD book for at least 30mins a day, jott down actions into brainstorm list

Hope this helps,

Derek.
deekod

Posted: Jun 10, 2010
PS the above is from my "implementing GTD - MY WAY" project
dent

Posted: Jun 11, 2010
I'm working on a cross-platform desktop app designed primarily to use Toodledo but including a lot of scriptability and synch with other services.

One of the big issues we're debating is how to add structure beyond Toodledo's capabilities, partly to match other services and partly because people like yourself want it.

In this case, say we offered the ability to do an unlimited task hierarchy - it might be saved to Toodledo as normal tasks with special tags used to indicated the levels.

So, you'd see your hierarchy flattened in the Toodledo web app but preserved in your desktop version.

Does this sound appealing, weird, uninteresting?
Transisto

Score: -3 Reference
Very interesting, I guess the note field being also a flexible way around these, Sub-Sub-... tasks.

Toodledo can be such a nightmare, I'm ready to support/finance any way to smoothly escape it.

Go for it.
Transisto

Posted by deekod:

Build in 50k to runway reviews - consider how vision prompts, TD goals and folders relate and can work efficiently
Build in next action selection by context, time, energy, priorty filters

Hope this helps,

Interesting vision, but I don't really understand these words.

"50k to runway" , "vision prompts"

What does energies mean in you context ? (length ?)
PeterW 

Posted by Transisto:
Interesting vision, but I don't really understand these words.

"50k to runway" , "vision prompts"

What does energies mean in you context ? (length ?)

@Transisto - these are concepts from David Allen's "Getting Things Done" book and methodology. The "50K" refers to a "50,000 ft view" of your goals, i.e. a high-level view. "Runway" refers more to the day-to-day tasks you have to do.

"Energies" refers to the concept of tagging your tasks with the energy level required to complete the task. Some tasks require more effort than others just as some require more time than others. For instance at 5pm on a Friday afternoon, you would probably not want to tackle a task that takes 2 hours and requires a lot of effort. Using a time/energy tag can help you locate tasks that you are able to do, similar to using a context.

If you haven't read the GTD book I recommend having a look.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.