ForumsQuestionsHow to create links to a file

How to create links to a file
curt.schneider

Posted: Jul 06, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm a new user trying to work my way through all the functionality. Does anyone know of a way to create a link in my notes areas that could take me to a subdirectory and/or open a file. This would be very handy for linking to my project reference materials oft scattered everywhere. I tried to figure out and html tag but no success. Any ideas?
Andrew A

Posted: Jul 07, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Notes take HTTP references through an anchor tag, but not file:// references.

In any case, even with File references the files would have to be in the same place on every PC you used and local to that system (one way or the other) and accessible (not likely) or available in via browser somewhere for HTTP.

There are services that will host files for you, but then you would have to organize all those materials that are "oft scattered"

Edit: (which, upon reflection, is probably a good thing)

This message was edited Jul 07, 2010.
curt.schneider

Posted: Jul 07, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Thanks Andrew for the clarifying comment on the HTTP references available in notes. Other tools like SharePoint etc have this kind of functionality. I'm trying to use Toodledo to manage technology projects I work with multiple customers in our internal company network. The customers provide data files etc on shared servers and I need to keep a reference to them which is my "oft scattered" reference... so not personal habit! Easy enough to just include in the note, but a hyperlink would be better.
powelstock

Posted: Jul 23, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
I have purposely set up my data file systems to be mirrors of one another on all my machines, and use SugarSync to keep them all in sync. This gives me great flexibility in my access to ANY file from within any application that will allow me to link to files--and most do. The advantage over attachments is that I have ONE file system, instead of a file system plus some pod full of attachments floating apart from the mothership. Cloud-sync solutions like SugarSync & Dropbox allow you to link to files and folders via a URL, but it can be complicated making sure your edits get back to the cloud version. SugarSync has a nifty little applet that lets you open and edit a file via the cloud and automatically upload your changes when you're finished. It has limitations though.

To make a long story short, I really do wish ToodleDo would allow the option of linking to local files.

Beyond that, I am really enjoying ToodleDo--it is beautifully designed!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.