ForumsQuestionsReuse project (task with same subtasks)

Reuse project (task with same subtasks)
Salgud

Posted: Jul 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times before here, but I tried a couple of searches and didn't find what I'm looking for.

I do what is basically the same project (task with subtasks) fairly often, but not regularly, as part of my job. It has 13 subtasks. I'd like to be able to revive this project after it's done, rename it, and have the same 13 tasks for this one. What are some, if there are more than one, ways to do this in TD?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
Have you tried using task templates?

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=84
Salgud

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I cloned the project I had already created, remamed it as a template, and moved it to a folder named Templates. But none of the tasks moved with it. I tried to figure out how to make a filter that would give me just the subtasks of the template to move them all at once, but couldn't. The filtering of subtasks appears to be somewhat more complex than the filtering of tasks.

I finally had to edit each of the 13 subtasks to move them to my templates folder. So it appears that when I create a copy of my template, I'll have to manually edit each subtask to move it to another folder and change it's status.

It is definitely better than having to start from scratch each time, but it still requires a lot of manual one-at-a-time editing. I think it would be better if there were a setting to make the subtasks follow the task, so if I changed the main task to another status, folder, etc., the subtasks changed with it. This would give much better control of the use of subtasks and templates, I think.

EDIT:
Just found that if I flatten them, I can work with the subtasks and the template and search to isolate them and multi-edit. Not sure this would always work, but it is a step further.

Any suggestions?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
You are correct, that if you want to move each one to a new folder, you will need to edit each one, or use multi-edit to help
Salgud

Posted: Aug 05, 2010
Bummer! So the subtask feature doesn't really do much then. I still have to do all the edits to each subtask in turn, no way to edit them all unless I tag them or move them individually to a folder first. Then I can filter and multi-edit. All the template does is group them so they're all together.

Is it on the list to be able to move a super-task and have it's subtasks move with it? Better yet, have the subtasks inherit the tags, folder, context, etc of the supertask? Maybe even a check-off list so we could select which attributes are inherited and which are not? That would be really nice!

EDIT: Found a way to take a clone of a supertask and isolate it and just it's subtasks.

I renamed the clone task, making sure to use at least one unique work that isn't used anywhere else in any other task. In this case, it was "Saguache", the name of a county in Colorado and the one for which my project is being done. Could just have easily used "Unique" or "Zebra".

Do a Search for tasks with the unique word. The new supertask will be the only one in the search result.

Click on the "Show subtasks" icon. They won't show up yet, but if I click next to the note on the lower right of the task which says "Some subtasks are hidden because of your search" where it says, "Show all", the subtasks are displayed.

I can now do a multi-edit on just the supertask and it's subtasks and move it to a folder, change it's status, tag it, etc.

I'm sure others have figured this out and it's elsewhere in these forums, but I searched and couldn't find it. So here it is again for others who might be trying to do this same thing.

This message was edited Aug 06, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.