ForumsQuestionsStarring a repeated item shouldn't star all copies in the future

Starring a repeated item shouldn't star all copies in the future
Mike

Posted: Jul 28, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I use "star" to indicate "in progress" or "do this now". For items that repeat, however, this is problematic because as soon as I star a task, all its repeats in the future are now starred, and I have to go and manually un-star them.

Is this a design decision? Can this be fixed?
-Mike
SRhyse

Posted: Jul 28, 2010
I use Starring in pretty much the same way as you.

I get around that by setting the start date and due dates of a task in question to be the same, then hiding future tasks. You can also get alot of mileage out of setting the task to repeat on completion instead of due date. Taken together, they keep me from seeing a bunch of the same tasks in the star view.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 29, 2010
We currently do not have any special behavior to unstar a task on completion, although we know that this would be handy for some people. It is on our to-do list.
Peter S...

Posted: Jul 29, 2010
Posted by Toodledo:
We currently do not have any special behavior to unstar a task on completion, although we know that this would be handy for some people. It is on our to-do list.

Hopefully as an option. I have repeating tasks that I do want starred when they first appear.
Mike

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
I think the big issue here is that repeating tasks are not discrete. Starring one stars "all of them" is one example, but also I should be able to delete a task that I'm not going to do this week, and have all the future repeats unaffected. Right now, this deletes everything.

In this current system, how am I supposed to deal with the situation where I don't or won't get to something this week? All I can do is mark it "done", which isn't technically true, and it ends up showing on my weekly searches for everything I've completed when I write status reports. I have to remember that I didn't do it.

Any plans for turning repeats into discrete tasks?
-Mike
Peter S...

Posted: Jul 30, 2010
You could give it a priority of -1.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 31, 2010
Or a Status of "Cancelled".
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.