ForumsQuestionsHow to get more levels under a project? organizing projects

How to get more levels under a project? organizing projects
etanafinkler

Posted: Aug 01, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm a new ToDo and Toodledo user, 2 weeks. I got a bit lost entering my info I have so many different projects and most of them need more than just one level under them. For example, my projects are:
Creativity
Home
Daily tasks,
Finances and investing

Under Home: I may have:
1. Tidy, clean
2. Garden
3. Home Renovation, I have
- Flooring
- Kitchen cabinets
- Countertop

and under each of these I'd like to have lists, such as:
I. Home
..A. Home Renovation
- ..1. Flooring
.......a. Pergo
....... 1) go to Home Depot
........2) find other discount stores
........3) ask Denise about where she went

So it seems I don't have more than just the one project level and under that the one task or normal or checklist. I think I'd like to get projects within projects but can ToDo/Toodledo do that? Is there something I'm missing?

thanks, Etaa
etanafinkler

Me again: so I am reading in the forum here: Todo App vs. Toodledo App. (iPhone)

Can I use both ToDo and Toodledo on my ipod Touch interchangeably? I have the pro Toodledo account. If I buy the Toodledo app, it seems I can switch back and forth from ToDo if I'm getting frustrated?? Don't know if that would help me get stuff where I want it and be able to see at a glance things for say "Thursday/today," but also things for the coming weekend..
PeterW 

Hi Etana,

First up - yes, you can use both Todo and Toodledo on your iPhone both syncing with one Toodledo account. Just be aware that you should sync either app before closing it and going to use another or the website to make sure everything is up to date.

Second, regarding "projects within projects": Toodledo provides three levels of organisation: folders, tasks and subtasks. So for example you could create a folder for each project, then within each folder have tasks that would be your sub-projects (projects within projects) and each tasks can have subtasks.

Regarding the rest of your post and the other thread you started on a similar topic, these are things that only you can answer depending on how you want to structure your workflow. There is no right or wrong answer and Toodledo is quite flexible so can be setup to work in a variety of ways.

One thing I would suggest given the many questions you pose is that you read David Allen's book "Getting Things Done". It can provide some structure to how you might go about setting up your personal workflow and that in turn might give you some guidance on how to go about setting up an organisational system such as Toodledo or Todo.

I'd also suggest looking at some of the "setup" threads in the GTD section of the forums - lots of good info there. One recent post I made described (briefly) my own setup:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6945/-36287/how-do-you-use-folderscontextstags.html and you can see some screenshots of my setup here:
http://www.davidco.com/forum/showthread.php?11316-Recommendation-needed-for-Task-Management-please!& p=80276#post80276
(you might need to sign up to the DavidCo forums to see this post).

But as I mentioned, what I am doing is just one of many many possible ways you can use Toodledo.

This message was edited Aug 01, 2010.
etanafinkler

Thanks for the quick reply, and especially for the reference and links; I'll check these out...
looking at some of the "setup" threads in the GTD section of the forums

First up - yes, you can use both Todo and Toodledo on your iPhone both syncing with one Toodledo account. Just be aware that you should sync either app before closing it and going to use another or the website to make sure everything is up to date.

So If I am on my Touch, not near wifi, I should only work in either ToDo or Toodledo, not both, until I can get to somewhere where I can sync? That makes sense, but is too bad, since the darn Touch doesn't find wifi all that often on the way to work, which is mostly when I am organizing. Well, maybe I'll buy the iPhone sooner rather than later... since waiting for Verizon to get one isn't happening...

thanks again.

Wish there was just one or 2 more level besides folder, task, subtask
PeterW 

Posted by etanafinkler:
So If I am on my Touch, not near wifi, I should only work in either ToDo or Toodledo, not both, until I can get to somewhere where I can sync?

Yes, unless you can be certain that you won't be working on the same task on both devices. Might be a bit tricky!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.