ForumsQuestionsTask counts on Search tabs

Task counts on Search tabs
PeterW 

Posted: Aug 02, 2010
Score: 3 Reference
Hi,

Search tabs do not show task counts like all other tabs do.

Can we have this added please? It would make a big difference to those of us who use search tabs for their Hotlist, Inbox, etc.

Thanks.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 03, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
PeterW 

Posted: Aug 23, 2010
Excellent!

BTW this request came about becuase of your response to this thread:
http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/6719/0/add-star-as-criteria-for-hotlist.html
...so if improvements to the Hotlist filter are made, this would be less important although I think would improve Toodledo in terms of UI consistency.

Thanks.
PeterW 

Posted: Oct 17, 2010
Jake - any news on where this might be on your Todo list?

Sorry for asking again so soon but I do think that the Search tabs are inconsistent with the rest of Toodledo by not having task counts displayed.

I'm hoping that this might be a small update that might find its way into production soon.
piyush_soni

The search tab on the top doesn't display the count, but it does show that just below it(Something like - "31 To-dos sorted by Folder"). Am I missing something?

This message was edited Oct 17, 2010.
PeterW 

Score: 1 Reference
Yes - I spend most of my time working out of my Hotlist (a saved search) but really need to be able to see if there is anything sitting in my Inbox (another saved search) that needs processing. At the moment I have to switch to that tab to see if anything is there. Task counts let me know what is in other tabs without having to open them.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 18, 2010
Task counts on the search page are very expensive from a computation point of view, because we would need to run each search to see how many tasks matched. This would cause the search page to load very slowly for people with a dozen or more saved searches. This is the roadblock that we are trying to work around. It is on our to-do list.
PeterW 

Posted: Oct 18, 2010
OK, thanks - that makes sense.

I guess maybe if it was an option so that users have to turn it on it could avoid grief. And maybe even if it was an option on a tab-by-tab basis - I could then activate it on my Inbox search only.
piyush_soni

Posted: Oct 19, 2010
Score: 3 Reference
I was having a lonely Sunday yesterday and I thought of writing some interesting code.
So, Here I came up with a script for you, which will automatically show all the tab counts in Search page after installing it. (If you are using Firefox or Chrome). As the Admin (Jake?) said, it of course has to make a real time search to know the actual count, but the script uses an asynchronous AJAX call for doing that so will not slow down the normal page loading. On a decent internet connection it should be fast enough to find them all very quickly (though you can 'feel' with your eyes each tab getting its count). Faster than doing it by hand though in any case.

I will integrate it with my other ToodleDo script, but for now you can just install this. I guess the code is self explanatory and you can change it for your needs as well (to even make it faster!).

One time operations:

1). Install Greasemonkey for Firefox, one of the most popular & useful add-ons(if using Firefox, otherwise skip it for Chrome - there is built in support there) from here , Restart browser.

2). Install ToodleDo Search Tab Counts by pressing the install button in chrome or FF. Done.

From then, each time you open your search page it should show the counts. If this works for you, we can modify it to just make the count query for your 'Inbox' named search.

Piyush
PeterW 

@piyush_soni: I love you. ;-)

Seriously - that's fantastic! It works perfectly. I'm quite happy with it displaying task counts on all tabs. The delay is not very much as I don't have lots of search tabs not too many tasks in them.

This is brilliant. I have been using FireFox until recently but am now on Chrome and the installation couldn't have been simply.

Thank you so much.
piyush_soni

Glad that helped you. Anyway, though the installation is simple in Chrome, in the long run there are still some problems with it if you want to do more things with user scripts - as Chrome doesn't support so many things like persistent storage yet which Greasemonkey does. Anyway, that's discussion on some other forum :)
Technocrap

Posted by piyush_soni:
lonely Sunday yesterday ...
So, Here I came up with a script for you,

You're the man !
PeterW 

@piyush_soni:

Just noticed something - if I add a task while on a search tab the count is not updated upon save which I can understand.

However if I click the tab itself to force a reload of the tab, the count is not updated either. Or if I switch tabs within the search view it isn't updated.

I have to reload the entire page (browser reload button) to get the count to update, or switch View-by to another view and go back.

This message was edited Oct 19, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Please keep in mind that this will cause a great deal of strain on our servers. When you reload the page, you are effectively reloading the page dozens of times (one reload for every saved searches you have). If too many people use this, it could cause degraded performance for our website.
PeterW 

OK, will do.

I only have 6 saved searches and don't plan to force a reload unless I've added a task which is not that often during the day - most are synced in from Todo.
piyush_soni

Posted: Oct 20, 2010
Ok. You don't have to reload the page anymore. When you click one of the search tabs, you don't have to do even a single extra search than what ToodleDo already does for showing you the results.

So as you said, just after adding a task it will not update the tab count. But if you click it to reload ToodleDo's search, it will read the returned result from the HTML page only, and update the count.

You just have to install it again from that link.
piyush_soni

@ToodleDo,
I don't think there are too many people who use Search as there default view. And as you said before, a very tiny percent of those come to forums, and an even smaller percentage will install this script, and on top of that not many people have 'a dozen' search counts. And after I updated the script, it doesn't do any extra search after adding the tasks, so I think we should be good to go - until you provide us with a good way to do it in ToodleDo itself.
PeterW 

@piyush_soni:

Many thanks! I will install now and give it a try.

Posted by piyush_soni:
@ToodleDo,
I don't think there are too many people who use Search as there default view. And as you said before, a very tiny percent of those come to forums, and an even smaller percentage will install this script, and on top of that not many people have 'a dozen' search counts.

Very good point.
PeterW 

Hi piyush_soni,

Quick question on the updated script - I have one search tab that is not displaying a task count. It is named 'Completed today' and it's set to show tasks where checked off = yes and completed date = today.

I first thought it might be because the tasks were completed but if that were the case, the count should display(0). But there is no count at all on that tab.

Any clue why this one tab doesn't display a task count?

This message was edited Oct 20, 2010.
piyush_soni

Humm ... Strange. I set the same search criteria on one of my tabs, and it did display proper count in both Firefox and Chrome. When I deleted the tasks I completed today, it was showing me (0) as well. When you click that particular tab, what does the header just below it show (which generally reports "x To-dos sorted by Folder")? Does it say nothing? Does it happen each time you load the page?

(If you want, you can make an account on userscripts.org to PM me instead of writing here)

Also, if you install Greasemonkey, does it happen in Firefox as well?

This message was edited Oct 20, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.