ForumsQuestionsFilter option: Doesn't begin with

Filter option: Doesn't begin with
Rob

Posted: Aug 18, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I often to write next actions without a next action verb. An example would be "Website stats". Does that mean "Read website stats", "Install website statistic software" or is it a project?

To counter this, I'd like to have a saved search which lists all of my actions which don't start with a next action verb (as advocated by Merlin Mann). The problem is Toodledo has a "doesn't contain" filter option, but there is no "doesn't begin with" option. This makes it hard to write such a search as a next action verb could be contained in a "bad" next action.

For example, if I have a next action "HP2400 Printer", then the filter doesn't pick up that is a next action which doesn't begin with a verb as it contains one of my next action verbs "Print" as part of the text. Oddly, there is a "begins with" option which allows me to select all my good next actions, but that search cannot then be negated to show the bad actions.

In SQL terms this should be simple - doesn't contain obviously runs a not like '*text*' query, doesn't begin with would simply be not like 'text*' so I am hoping this is a simple request ;-)

Can I request a new filter option "Doesn't begin with". Anyone else find this useful?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
Rob

Posted: Aug 19, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the acknowledgement. I look forward to its implementation at some point in the future.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.