ForumsQuestionsQuestion re: Using files

Question re: Using files
kentpavelka

Posted: Aug 27, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm running into problems with the way I am trying to use files. The following is what I am doing and the trouble I'm having...

1. In "Manage Files", I choose a word file under "Add a File"..no problem doing that.

2. I then upload that file and it becomes one of my Toodledo files...no problem doing that.

3. I then go to a task and attach the new file from "Existing files"...no problem doing that.

4. I then download that attached file ....no problems doing that.

It is at this point that problems/issues/questions start:

5. The file doesn't open. It drops to the bottom of my screen and wants to be opened from there. Is this behaving correctly or should it pop open when I click the file icon inside Toodledo?

6. When I open the file, I want to be able not only to view it...but to change it (add updated text). I, of course, can do this...but then I apparently don't know how to save it showing the changes. It is saved (in word) as it existed before I made the changes. What am I doing wrong?
Claudio

First, although you can upload your file in Manage Files and then attach it to a task, you also can directly attach it to a task by clicking on the paper clip icon and choosing New File.

Next, when you "open" the file you are actually downloading it. BTW, are you using Chrome as your browser?

And, you can't edit a file directly. You have to download it, edit it, delete the existing file in Toodledo, and then upload the new file.

If you are doing a lot of editing of documents that are attached to Toodledo tasks, it's probably better to import the document into Google Docs (or create a new document there) and create a link in Toodledo by copying the document's address (from your address bar when you are in the document) and pasting it into the note in a task. This will create a hyperlink to the document in Google Docs.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2010.
kentpavelka

Thank you. Trying to understand your instuctions.

Yes, I am using Google Chrome. Is that good, bad, or indifferent?
kentpavelka

Regarding this part of your reply:

"If you are doing a lot of editing of documents that are attached to Toodledo tasks, it's probably better to import the document into Google Docs (or create a new document there) and create a link in Toodledo by copying the document's address (from your address bar when you are in the document) and pasting it into the note in a task. This will create a hyperlink to the document in Google Docs."

Are you saying to do this INSTEAD of attaching the file? In other words...don't use the file attachment option?

I assume doing it this way would allow me to edit and save...and thus, have it be a sort of living, breathing thing. Would be identical after this process in both Google Docs & inside Toodledo (as a link...in the task's note)

If this is so, what real value is the attachment option, considering all the "problems" it creates? (i.e. in trying..in essence... to maintain the "same" file in "Word" and as an attached file in Toodledo?
kentpavelka

"create a link in Toodledo by copying the document's address (from your address bar when you are in the document) and pasting it into the note in a task. This will create a hyperlink to the document in Google Docs."

Note: When I do this, the text of the document's address shows up in the note...but not in a form that, by clicking on it, will take me to the document. It's just text.
Claudio

Posted by kentpavelka:
Are you saying to do this INSTEAD of attaching the file? In other words...don't use the file attachment option?
Yes. If you are doing a lot of editing of documents.
I assume doing it this way would allow me to edit and save...and thus, have it be a sort of living, breathing thing. Would be identical after this process in both Google Docs & inside Toodledo (as a link...in the task's note)
Yes.
If this is so, what real value is the attachment option, considering all the "problems" it creates?
For files that don't change, eg. photos, pdf files.
Claudio

Posted by kentpavelka:
When I do this, the text of the document's address shows up in the note...but not in a form that, by clicking on it, will take me to the document. It's just text.
You need to paste the entire address, including the beginning with "https://"

It should be something like: https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id= plus a long string of numbers and letters.

You can also do this to create a link to a folder in Google Docs.

kentpavelka

The link, copied and pasted, looks like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1pGmzOjT-4UzBXPwbKlwmPzKM5D7W7Gl9NwvNeJIPi34&hl=en#

Doesn't turn into a "link" as it does here (not underlined)....just shows as that copy in the note.

Claudio

Wow! You're right.

I don't understand what's happening. I've used this feature with other web addresses. eg. http://www.toodledo.com, and I thought I had it working with Google Docs, but I can't get it to work now.

Sorry. Seemed like a great idea.
kentpavelka

Also curious if there is some significance to using Google Chrome vs. other browsers. You had asked about that.
kentpavelka

The very strange thing is that it posts as a link here...but not from inside the task note! hmmmm...
Claudio

Posted by kentpavelka:
Also curious if there is some significance to using Google Chrome vs. other browsers. You had asked about that.
No big significance.
You mentioned that the file "drops to the bottom of your screen". That's what happens in Chrome when you download a file. This behavior can be a bit confusing the first time it happens.
AA

Posted: Aug 29, 2010
Posted by kentpavelka:
The link, copied and pasted, looks like this:

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1pGmzOjT-4UzBXPwbKlwmPzKM5D7W7Gl9NwvNeJIPi34&hl=en#

Doesn't turn into a "link" as it does here (not underlined)....just shows as that copy in the note.

This occasionally happens in Toodledo's Notes field for me as well. 99% of URLs that I enter into the Notes field become clickable links, but sometimes there seems to be a bug where the URL doesn't become clickable for some reason.

However, there's a (cumbersome) workaround for you to force every link (and any text!) to be clickable nevertheless. Just surround the link with HTML link tags. They look like this: < a href="https://docs.google.com/blabla" >https://docs.google.com/blabla< /a >. Please leave out the spaces inside the < a > tags for this to work.

Yes, this is awkward, but it works 100% every time, guaranteed. :-)

(BTW: I was surprised to learn by reading this forum topic that you can, actually, directly attach files to specific tasks. I'm a new Toodledo user, and a week ago, when I was thinking about whether to buy a Pro or a Pro Plus subscription, the seeming inability to attach files to specific tasks made me choose the lower-priced upgrade option. I did read all of the FAQs carefully, but this feature did not seem to be highlighted, or highlighted enough, in the FAQs. So, I might perhaps upgrade to Pro Plus now after all, because the option to have files attached to specific tasks is very useful for me, even if the files can't be edited right here on Toodledo's server. I will need to upgrade to Pro Plus later on in any case, because I can't afford to have any completed tasks deleted; there's just too much relevant information inside my tasks, completed or not; so if I still use Toodledo in 2 years from now, I'll definitely be upgrading to Pro Plus to avoid the deletion of any completed tasks.)

PS: Now I see that the Files feature is explained in detail here: https://www.toodledo.com/info/files.php It's a mystery to me as to how I could have missed this webpage when deciding about which upgrade option to choose! :-D

This message was edited Aug 29, 2010.
kentpavelka

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
faterson:

Would you mind looking at your post above and let me know if that is, indeed, the correct text that needs to go before and after the link (that isn't a link). I'm not clear on what exactly needs to be added. If you could, please just write what comes before....then what comes after....leaving out the hypothetical link. What I'm led to believe is that < a href=
should be added before and < /a > should be added after. Is that right?

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
AA

Posted: Aug 31, 2010
Posted by kentpavelka:
What I'm led to believe is that < a href= should be added before and < /a > should be added after. Is that right?

That's almost correct, Kent. Just leave out the spaces inside those tags, and the first tag, too, must be closed with >. The result looks like this:

This is the link to my Google document.

Working, isn't it? :-) Here is what the code of the above sentence looks like:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10440809/standard_HTML_tags.txt

Just click this link, Kent, and you will find the correct tags structure there. You can replace the words Google document with anything you like, of course (such as the description of that particular Google document).

(Too bad Toodledo uses a stripped-down version of these forums so I can't include this example right here inside my post, but the [code] tags don't work here.)

Yes, a cumbersome workaround, because you need to type in or copy those HTML tags manually every time... but at least it works every time. ;-)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2010.
kentpavelka

Posted: Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the effort here, faterson. Can't get it to work. Probably me. :(
kentpavelka

Posted: Sep 05, 2010
Claudio...

Any chance you can come up with a solution for this for Chrome?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.