ForumsQuestionsScheduling Suggestion

Scheduling Suggestion
haileyhasmail

Posted: Sep 04, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Firstly, I love Toodledo. BUT I have one major suggestion. Once I have my ToDo list made (complete with priorities, lengths, etc...), I would like to have an easy way of SCHEDULING my tasks into a calendar that includes my work/home schedule, appointments etc...

Would it be at all possible to develop something where you could drag and drop a task into an open time slot on the calendar? I'm trying to minimize the amount of time I spend writing and rewriting my tasks each day.

Thanks!
JCLATWORK

Posted: Sep 04, 2010
I agree that this would be an excellent feature. I have worked around it in the following way. Bear in mind that it requires working on a Mac.

1) Export your Toodledo database to an XML file to save as backup in case you are not happy with the method below.

2) Backup your iCal data for the same reason as above.

3) Download Appigo Sync, which has Toodledo sync in beta.

4) Sync Toodledo with iCal. This will create calendars in iCal for each folder you have set up in Toodledo. You can decide if you want this to be manual or automatic, and if automatic, how frequently it happens.

5) Open iCal, and open the right-hand pane that shows your to-dos. These can be sorted in various ways in iCal. Though the to-do function is lacking in features, at least the items from Toodledoo are visible.

6) During your regular review of to-dos, simply drag these from the right-hand pane onto your calendar to create appointments that can be edited for duration, location, etc. I sort into a next action folder in my review, so after the sync, these to-dos are easier to find in iCal.

This is how I get my to-dos on my calendar to ensure I have time to actually get them done. I call them "do-dates." I still only create the to-dos in Toodledo, but this lets me schedule them.

For the final link in my system, I have iCal synced to my Google Apps account at work through CalDAV so these appointments then show up on my iPhone through Exchange. If something keeps me from completing the to-do at the scheduled time, I can just drag the event to another date/time on iCal, iPhone, or Google Calendar. I leave the original due date in Toodledo to give me a sense of urgency. I don't know if that is best practice, but it seems to help me.

With Appigo ToDo on my iPhone and this system keeping my calendar up-to-date, I now have fewer (!) excuses when I don't get something done.
haileyhasmail

Posted: Sep 05, 2010
Hey Courtney,

Thanks for the tip! While this is still more cumbersome than I'd like (I prefer having everything in one program, and I'd also like to avoid having to re-enter times/lengths etc...), it's definitely an improvement from what I'd been doing. I'll be using this work-around until Toodledo gives me something better ;).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 07, 2010
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
haileyhasmail

Posted: Sep 08, 2010
Sweet. Thanks!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.