ForumsQuestionsTask dependencies?

Task dependencies?
kathy

Posted: Nov 09, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
I'm just starting with this. The one feature that I really need, but don't see in the list is dependencies. These are different than subtasks.

For example, I have a number of different tasks (some in different projects) that all depend on me getting my DVD fixed. So, each time I go to do those tasks, I realized that I need to get it fixed, don't have time - and then have to reorient myself to look for other tasks to do within the time I have. This may not seem like a big deal for most people, but it wastes a lot of my time.

Has anyone worked out a system for handling these types of situations? Or is there a feature I haven't noticed yet?

-kathy
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 09, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Thanks for the suggestion. We can't comment on a timeframe for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.
kathy

Posted: Nov 10, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Just a note for you. This is a feature I would subscribe for.
Technocrap

Posted: Nov 10, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I have been using Toodledo for more than a year and these are the main reason I'm about to quit.

No task dependencies.
No useful level of priority (low med high, when one has +200 task is futile)
No way to order task manually.

Toodledo is good for setting reminders, but for it being a productivity booster... an important piece is missing.
kathy

Posted: Nov 11, 2010
Can't you use the tag feature for setting your own priorites?

Although I'm still trying to figure out how to get a sort by tag.
Alan

Posted: Nov 12, 2010
Posted by Technocrap:
I have been using Toodledo for more than a year and these are the main reason I'm about to quit.

No task dependencies.
No useful level of priority (low med high, when one has +200 task is futile)
No way to order task manually.
Out of curiousity, is there another service out there that has these features, that you will be moving to?
SRhyse

Posted: Nov 12, 2010
Posted by Alan:
Out of curiousity, is there another service out there that has these features, that you will be moving to?

You weren't talking to me, but I know MyLifeOrganized does all that in spades. They've got an iPhone app coming out near the end of this month to go along with their desktop app that'll sync via a cloud service as well, which is why I'm becoming progressively more interested in it for the reasons Technocrap's looking to switch.

It's pretty much Toodledo with an infinitely hierarchical outline view added on that a sorted/filtered/grouped todo list view is generated from, along with project management features like dependency. Still has saved searches and filters that actually seem to work just like Toodledo's too. Worth looking into if you think you'd get something out of that, and are PC based.
Technocrap

Posted: Nov 19, 2010
Toodledo is breaking the ZOI rule. Zero One Infinity with subtasks

The Zero One or Infinity (ZOI) rule is a rule of thumb in software design. It suggests that arbitrary limits on the number of instances of a particular entity should not be allowed. Specifically, that an entity should either be forbidden entirely, one should be allowed, or any number (presumably, to the limit of available storage) of them should be allowed. It should not be the software that puts a hard limit on the number of instances of the entity.

Examples of this rule may be found in file directories. The top-most directory has zero parent directories. Each subdirectory has exactly one parent directory. Each directory may contain an infinite number of files or subdirectories. An example of a violation of this rule is that some operating systems impose a hard limit of 65,536 files in a directory.[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_One_Infinity

Ps: MyLifeOrganized FTW
Purveyor

Posted by SRhyse:
It's pretty much Toodledo with an infinitely hierarchical outline view added on that a sorted/filtered/grouped todo list view is generated from, along with project management features like dependency.
MyLifeOrganized is pretty much like Toodledo in the same way that a Pontiac Aztek is pretty much like a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. ;)

Problem is that it has taken them over two years to come up with an iPhone version, and it's anybody's guess how good it will be when it does become available.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2010.
Salgud

Score: -1 Reference
And for those who wish to store more than 65,536 files in a single directory, this is a travesty!

We'll miss you, Techno, but I'm sure the folks in the MLO forums will enjoy your wit and wisdom every bit as much as we have here. :)
k2leads

Posted: Nov 27, 2010
k - new to toodledo, but have been a MLO user. Possibly switching to toodledo b/c MLO has been dragging on that droid app. Which one is the Pontiac & which is the Porsche (MLO or Toodledo)?
steve.calamia

Posted: Jan 12, 2011
Task dependencies are a major major feature that most task list productivity systems are lacking. I can understand how it's quite a task from a software development perspective, but it's a crucial hurdle to leap. I would happily pay twice what Toodledo asks if they simply had this feature. Subtasks are really just not enough. And frankly, I use short-term goals for task grouping anyhow.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.