ForumsQuestionsQuestion about using email import

Question about using email import
edjerum

Posted: Nov 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am a new user of Toodledoo. I have started to replace putting emails that I send out in my Outlook "Waiting For" folder and instead, so I will have all my items in one place, I put my secret toodledoo address as a BCC: and I also create subject headings in my email that will identify to me the type of response that I'm waiting for. So far so good.

What I also want to do is add to the subject line syntax so when the email arrives in Toodledoo it will go to the right place and I won't have to work on it anymore. The most import one is $waiting so I know it is waiting for a response to my email. The only problem is that if I add this to the subject of my outgoing email it does look a bit strange and even more so if I add a whole string. I tried to make this invisible but in Outlook 2011 (MAC) at least it is not possible to format what goes in the subject line.

Anyone have any ideas about how to do this without just having it show in the subject line? Thanks.
PeterW 

I had the same issue and have tried a few things.

I didn't want to confuse recipients with additional characters so I just sent the email and then went into my sent folder and forwarded the message to my Toodledo account with whatever changes to the subject I wanted.

I've stopped doing that now and have simplified further. I now just BCC the original outbound message to my Toodledo account without any changes at all. It arrives in my Inbox at Toodledo and I process all items in there when I have time. Sometimes it's right away and other times it might be later that day. But either way it's always clear what needs to be done (i.e. what my next action is or who I am waiting for), so the pre-processing just isn't necessary in my case.

And as a GTD-follower, I like the routine of processing my various inboxes each day.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2010.
edjerum

Thank you for your helpful comment.

In thinking about why I'm so motivated to include the syntax I realized that I don't spend enough time THINKING about what I have to do about my list of actions. I'm feeling so hurried, which is having me not taking the time to consider what is the next most urgent thing so I don't get into overwhelm. So I'll take the time to go through my inbox as you are doing.
harrymac1972

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
I was wondering if it bothered people when they see the extra syntax in the subject line. It depends who you are sending it to I guess. I know that our staff feel like they're being tracked and take emails more seriously.

Eg:

Have Gerry solidify schedule with Mel !!! @Agenda #Friday %Waiting %Gerry *Work

...it demands their attention, lol.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.