ForumsQuestionsNotebook

Notebook
greginfla_

Posted: Nov 28, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I am new to toodledo (found it a few hours ago) and have a question about the notebook features. I searched the forum and it appears the latest updates were May 09, so if I have missed updated info I apologize.

Is there a way to track the progression of completing a task/project? In notebook you can write your notes and update this one entry over the course of completing the task, but is there a way to have new entries each time you update the notebook; stamped with date/Time/Author (if collaborating). And it would be great if you could get an email detailing the updates to shared task. Frequency of updates would be user preference: once a day, every task update, 3 times a day, etc.

Is this avaiable in at the pro level?
piyush_soni

No. What you want is a Source Control system. Use SVN/CVS/Perforce/Git/Mercurial etc. for managing your time stamped files.
greginfla_

Score: 1 Reference
thanks for the reply. but this stuff looks way above what I need or understand. Google Wave is sort of working for me but who knows when that site is going to be taken down.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 29, 2010
What you are suggesting is not available, but it is an interesting idea. We'll think about it.
piyush_soni

There is at least one problem I noticed with your current implementation of notes. I keep the tasks webpage open in office and at home. I had been writing a few paragraphs of notes over time for one of my tasks. When I made some changes in a few points at home, it updated the notes and worked fine. I came to office, and made few changes again. What I noticed two days later that the copy open in office was stale and the changes I did had actually overwritten the new changes I had done at home! This could be really dangerous.

We should use one of the three solutions/workarounds :
1). Whenever the notes change on your server, they should be updated on all open webpages through AJAX or something. 2). Even timely polling for notes updates could be used as a temporary workaround. Or,
3). When we click on a notes section for a possible intention to update it, you should first get the latest and then allow updating.

This is an important bug(if I may call it that).

This message was edited Nov 29, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes we are aware of this bug and we are working on a fix. In the meantime, please remember to refresh the page if you have transitioned from one computer to another.
greginfla_

Posted: Dec 04, 2010
i was thinking about this and I know it would take a lot of coding to implement it. A possible work around would be to have two shortcut keys.

One that inserts a line divider and the second hot-key inserts date and time into the note section.

(even kewler if there was an text field in the account setup where you can enter author's initials. and when you hit the hot key to insert a journal entry with date and time it included the authors initials automatically)

i.e
-------------------------------------------------------------
12/4/10 5:23pm: GBR went to the store and forgot what I wanted

P.S. is there a windows hotkey that enters the system day and time?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 05, 2010
There are many auto-completion tools that you could install on your computer to accomplish this. I am currently using TextExpander on the Mac. The bonus is that it will work in every app you use instead of just Toodledo.com.
greginfla_

Posted: Dec 15, 2010
auto-completion help a lot, using phraseexpress currently.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.