ForumsQuestionsReminders

Reminders
Sylanel

Posted: Nov 08, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I am currently evaluating which task manager I'll start using since I just switched to the iPhone. Right now, I'm affraid Remember The Milk has a little edge since it supports sending SMS or email reminders right on time. That would be the one one thing that could definitely assure Toodledo's superiority. Are there any plans of implementing this feature any time soon?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Yes, we hope to have a more flexible reminder system in place soon.
The Mind Doctor

Can you please advise me if sms reminders work for O2 in the UK? How do I do it? Thanks
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 09, 2008
SMS reminders will work for any phone that has an SMS-to-Email gateway address. You can contact O2 to see if they provide this, I don't know.
svhart

Posted: Nov 10, 2008
regarding previous answer, does "a more flexible reminder" include SMS and email reminders or some other form of reminders e.g., pop-ups? Just trying to get clarity.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
It could mean any of those things. The first thing we want to do is allow people to set reminders on a per-task level instead of all or none, and we want to let people decide when to get the reminder (10 minutes, 1 hour, 10 days ahead, etc) Email, SMS and a popup reminder will be good ways to make the reminder happen. We might think of others too.
Sylanel

Posted by Toodledo:
It could mean any of those things. The first thing we want to do is allow people to set reminders on a per-task level instead of all or none, and we want to let people decide when to get the reminder (10 minutes, 1 hour, 10 days ahead, etc) Email, SMS and a popup reminder will be good ways to make the reminder happen. We might think of others too.

For usefulness and "user-friendliness", I would recommend having SMS and Email. We would need the option to choose when to receive the reminders too.

This would bring Toodledo on par with current Google Calendar reminder capability as well as Toodledo's main competitor, Remember The Milk. Right now, RTM has this reminder ability, but its main drawback is that users require to buy a pro account in order to be able to sync on their iPhone. If Toodledo can incorporate the basic functionality with the regular (free) account, there will be no competition left for Toodledo!
timothy.williamson

Posted: Nov 11, 2008
How does the current SMS reminder system determine when to send out the reminder? I've been testing reminders all day and haven't received any. I verified my email to SMS gateway is correct. Any ideas?

Thanks!
timothy.williamson

Okay, I just did a DURRRR...

I tried emailing myself using my ####@tmomail.net address, and it didn't come through. I'm using my iPhone on T-Mo, and it appears that T-Mo does some type of conversion on their end that sends the message as an MMS, which the iPhone can't receive.

So I guess I'm SOL on this (other than loading a 3rd-party MMS program, or waiting for Apple to add MMS)... :-(

I guess I'll just setup my Tasks to shoot a reminder email in the meantime.
timothy.williamson

Okay, here's something odd. I setup a Calendar event in Google Calendar and it was able to send the SMS fine to my iPhone.

It must have to do with the way that ToodleDo is formatting the SMS? Is there a way to adjust the format of the SMS that ToodleDo sends out?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 12, 2008
Sending SMS messages directly to a phone number costs money (which Google can afford, but Toodledo can't). We only support sending an SMS via an email-to-SMS gateway, which is free. Unfortunately, some carriers don't fully support email-to-SMS gateways which makes it a less than ideal solution, but its the best we could afford.
timothy.williamson

Posted: Nov 12, 2008
Makes sense, thanks!

It also appears there's a known issue with T-Mo's email to SMS gateway...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=1246391

This message was edited Nov 12, 2008.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.