ForumsQuestionsSequencing of subtasks / dependencies. When will we have this fu

Sequencing of subtasks / dependencies. When will we have this fu
gn1sxn102

Posted: Nov 13, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Dear Toodledo,

May I request a best estimate on when this functionality may be available. Its one of the top requested features and something which many would like to know in their evaluation of TD. I understand that you may not want to set expectations, in which case perhaps just an indication of which quarter of the year..

Your consideration would be much appreciated.

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 13, 2008
This is a very complicated feature to add to Toodledo and we haven't fully figured out how it would work without making the interface overly confusing. It's near the top of our to-do list, and thats the best indication I can give, sorry.
jsmail63-reg

Posted: Nov 14, 2008
Hey, here's an idea..

Even "basic" sequencing for top-level tasks would be awesome and VERY helpful.

How about just adding a Task "sequence" field and having this be one of the choices for sort order?

I for one wouldn't mind having to put a "1, 2, 3", etc into the sequence field to get basic sort/prioritizing.

This is how other systems like Franklin Covey handled sequencing and basic 'ordering' of task lists.. Their system used a letter (A, B, or C) for priority (corresponding to high, medium and low), and then a number after it - like, "A1, A2, B1, B2, B3", etc.

Seems like all it would take for a basic solution here would be having a field we could put something like that into. Or, just put "1, 2, 3" in.

The downside is that wouldn't be particularly elegant - ie: there'd be no drag and drop to re-sequence. But it would be an excellent "stop gap" for those of us who need basic task sequencing.

This would be a HUGE improvement for those of us who's task lists have lots of things on it every day, as even ordering by priority really isn't enough to be able to put a basic order of "do this first, THEN this", etc to the list.

Thanks!
Claudio

How about an all-purpose custom field that could be used in sorting?

It could be used for sequencing or for anything else.

BTW, one current alternative is to use Tags like 1, 2, 3, etc. and then have a secondary sort by Tag to put the tasks in sequence.
jsmail63-reg

Yep! An "all-purpose"/custom field for sorting would be awesome, and at least give us a stop-gap until something more elegant/fully featured (eg: drag-and-drop sequencing) could be implemented.

I use tags for other things (eg: account name), so using tags for sequencing really isn't 'ideal'.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 15, 2008
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.