ForumsQuestionsTimer on Itouch

Timer on Itouch
PaulJohnson1222

Posted: Jan 02, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I love the timer function is is one of the prime reasons I choose Toodledo.

I am quite disappointed the timer field does not seem available on the Itouch Application.

Are there any plans for this in the future??
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 04, 2011
Yes, we have plans for this in the future. Sorry for the delay with this feature. It has been a little tricky to implement.
Jeff Putney

Posted: Feb 04, 2011
We've been told that timer is coming since June of 2009. It isn't THAT tricky. How about making the timer require an internet connection, and just calling a web service to trigger it directly on the server. No syncing required. Then you can assess the demand for a disconnected syncing timer.

if you get around to implementing a disconnected mode, it isn't tricky at all, it is just ugly. You have to keep a log of start times and end times; there is no way around it. Also it isn't that hard to account for multiple overlapping starts and stops coming from an unknown number of devices, say you press start on your iPad, and on your iPhone, and then press stop on the web site. Assuming a SQL database, if you had a separate table for starts and stops the duration of all past (i.e have been stopped) for a task would look like (indentation has been lost):

create table stops (
taskId numeric(18,0),
stopTime timestamp
)
create unique index stopsTaskTimes on stops ( taskId, stopTime )

create table starts (
taskId numeric(18,0),
startTime timestamp
)
create unique index startsTaskTimes on starts ( taskId, startTime )

select sum(timestampdiff(SECOND, start.startTime, nextStop.stopTime)) as duration
from starts start
inner join stops nextStop on start.taskId = nextStop.taskId and nextStop.stopTime > start.startTime
and not exists (select 1 from stops innerStops where innerStops.taskId = start.taskId and innerStops.stopTime < nextStop.stopTime and innerStops.stopTime > start.startTime)
left join stops prevStop on prevStop.taskId = start.taskId and prevStop.stopTime < start.startTime
and not exists (select 1 from stops innerStops where innerStops.taskId = start.taskId and innerStops.stopTime > prevStop.stopTime and innerStops.stopTime < start.startTime)
where
(prevStop.stopTime is null and not exists (select 1 from starts innerStarts where innerStarts.taskId = start.taskId and innerStarts.startTime < start.startTime))
or (prevStop.stopTime is not null and not exists (select 1 from starts innerStarts where innerStarts.taskId = start.taskId and innerStarts.startTime < start.startTime and innerStarts.startTime > prevStop.stopTime))

The currently running duration would just be:

select timestampdiff(SECOND, min(starts.startTime), CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) as duration
from starts
where not exists (select 1 from stops where stops.stopTime > starts.startTime)

This message was edited Feb 04, 2011.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 04, 2011
The timer isn't implemented yet because we haven't had time, and it is an unpopular feature, but it is on our to-do list and we do plan to implement it sooner rather than later.
Snake008

Posted: Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

This is something I think would greatly improve Toodledo and will also enable me to use my iPhone and iPad at work to manage my time better. Please push this mod through!

Thanks
kestutiz

Posted: Mar 25, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I have explored many services for tasks and there are better for my needs, because I'm GTD fan. Better I mean more clean, oriented to GTD, simple.

But my neends is to track my time on tasks, so I want have feedback for analyse and grow-up.

Timer is one of unique Toodledo feature and have value for me. I don't use timer for billing my client. But I want to use timer for "billing myself" because time is money or I spend my time (sometimes waste) on tasks and time is the stuff life is made of.

I'll be glad if timer will be developed. There is Tsheet plugin which work well on my droid phone. I can start on desktop browser and stop on my phone or visa versa. But I do not want 2 systems and dulplicate tasks... I need timer on task. Slim page don't have timer, full page look inappropriate on small phone sreen and timer don't wrk on default droid browser.

Another value can be reports of time usage by day, week month like chrometa do: piechart for used by tasks, folders, contexts, etc. and activity by time line on day. (Can be pro?)
vegheadjones_1388757078

Posted: Aug 05, 2011
+1!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.