ForumsQuestionsSelecting multiple tasks?

Selecting multiple tasks?
felciano

Posted: Apr 05, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
I just imported a bunch of Outlook tasks but realized I mis-mapped the fields. Is there an easy way to select a large number of tasks for deletion? I can easily find these tasks using a Search, but then I'm left to manually click 300+ checkboxes to select them all. Is there a way to do a "Select All" or "Select All Visible"?

Ramon
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 06, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Unfortunately, there is no way to mass-delete a selection of tasks. If you want to delete ALL of your tasks and start over from scratch, you can do this from your account settings page.

Hope that helps
will.sargent

Posted: Apr 06, 2008
There really should be some way to mass edit or delete a set of tasks. If you look at gmail's UI, you can select a bunch of tasks using select boxes, and then perform an action on them.

In Toodledo, the select box is used for completing tasks, but I think having that the 'complete task' column as a submit button would work just as well.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Apr 07, 2008
Well, if you have to click 300 checkboxes and then hit a "delete selected" button, that is not any more convenient than clicking the delete button 300 times.

What we may implement is to have some options on the search page to mass delete/edit all the tasks that match a particular search. This would save clicks, and would probably accomplish what people want in an efficient manner.
muzzybeat

Posted: Apr 07, 2008
I think that's a great idea (to mass delete by search). I just started using Toodledo and had the same experience that Felciano did because all of my recurring tasks came up with dozens of entries each.
thomthowolf

Posted: Apr 09, 2008
Score: 2 Reference
I would like to add a "me too" to this request. In my humble opinion this is the single most important missing feature of this tool. I would like to ask that I be able to also mass select and change dates, as sometimes I have Projects "slip" and would really love to be able to move everything in a project forward a certain number of days.
jwelshjr

Posted: Apr 14, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
Well, if you have to click 300 checkboxes and then hit a "delete selected" button, that is not any more convenient than clicking the delete button 300 times.

What we may implement is to have some options on the search page to mass delete/edit all the tasks that match a particular search. This would save clicks, and would probably accomplish what people want in an efficient manner.

While I think your suggestion sounds like a good solution (and I would find it handy), the opposite approach to the first scenario seems more likely: hit "select all" on a list then uncheck the few you don't want to delete/edit. Not so many clicks.
gbranham

Posted: Apr 14, 2008
How about providing a "find / replace" capability? This would address this issue and provide the capabiity to do mass changes.
polomj

Posted: May 07, 2008
I would agree with a search and replace tool as well. It could give great flexibility if you could search based on the attributes of the tasks beside the task name itself.
whitten

This doesn't really apply to mass deletion, but I have found that if I want to do something like change the priority of a whole list of tasks, that the classic interface is actually easier, because it lets you do stuff to all the tasks at a time.

Toodledo developers, please do NOT get rid of the classic interface, as it really does make doing some things easier.

I guess this capability is called "batch processing" ?
tarch

@whitten
I agree. Vitalist provides batch processing - allowing to change priorities, dates and other items in a multiple fashion. This would be a very worthy feature.
MikeKDidIt

Posted: May 25, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:

Oh please implement this! I agree that this feature is the most obvious deficiency in (an otherwise awesome) Toodledo. I think your idea of working from search results is a good way to skin this. I'd like to be able to mass change nearly every field that gets displayed, with these being the most vital (to me): folder, context, priority, tag, and status.

Not that you aren't doing a fine job on user interface without me, but how about a new second heading line, "Change To", that allows me to specify a new value for one field for every task displayed in search results. So, if I had 20 search results, selecting "SecretFolder" from the Folder picklist would change the folder for all 20 tasks, or selecting "@Garage" from the Context picklist would change the context for all 20 tasks.

Changing items in bulk (or enmass) would be an awesome enhancements. I'd even leave a tip if you had a tip jar!

This message was edited May 25, 2008.
mgd

Posted: Jun 01, 2008
Ill throw my hat in the ring if it helps get this feature implemented. I often want to change one aspect of multiple tasks and set them all to some status, context, etc..
msgphd

Posted: Jun 05, 2008
In case there is some use of "votes" for developing new features, I would strongly vote for some way of batch processing multiple items, especially for changing dates for multiple tasks. I am not a programmer at all but I would love to be able to drag and drop multiple tasks into a calendar to change the date, similar to how one creates subtasks here or changes which calendar in ICal.
Jon

Posted: Jun 05, 2008
I would like to be able to select several items and be able to drag them into another item as subtasks. This would be quicker than grabbing each item individually and dragging them to form subtasks. Thanks! Jon
Peter Scott

Posted: Jan 04, 2009
Oh thank you thank you thank you for implementing multi-edit. I am transferring tasks from RTM and this makes life sooo much easier. You may want to update your RTM import help to reflect this approach to preserving RTM list name: Instead of exporting all RTM tasks, select the list you want, and click on the iCalendar link on the right to export just the tasks for that list. Then import into Toodledo, select all tasks in No Folder, and multi-edit to move them to the correct folder.

You may want to consider adding a "import to specified folder" option to the .ics upload feature.

BTW I notice that in many places the help text refers to changing filter options "at the bottom of the screen." This only applies to using the (no longer default) classic view. Should be changed to reflect that.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jan 05, 2009
Thanks for reminding us about that.
keith

Posted: Feb 23, 2009
Considering how good this app is, it's astounding to me that it doesn't have the select all feature. I mean that is a standard feature of pretty much every application you can think of. Otherwise, pretty groovy app!
NoCatharsis

Posted: Mar 24, 2009
Has there been any development with this idea? I see the original post is almost 1 year old and still no word on whether we can get a mass delete/edit function? I just started using the app and I like it a lot, but after being a Google maniac, it's hard to overlook missing features such as this.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 24, 2009
We now have something called "Multi-Edit" that you can learn about here: http://www.toodledo.com/info/search.php
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.