ForumsQuestionsSync with Google Tasks

Sync with Google Tasks
emkb2271

Posted: Feb 10, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
Is there any way to sync Toodledo with Google Tasks on an ongoing basis? Maybe this is an obvious question, but I've tried searching the forum and haven't found anything.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 10, 2011
As far as I am aware, Google does not allow anything to sync with Google Tasks. This may change in the future and if it does we will consider it.
duncanshannon

Posted: Feb 15, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
just curious... why would you want to sync one task system with another?
jkratz

Posted: Feb 16, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
I'm curious why you'd want to sync with a task system that is nothing more than a simple checklist. Would it not be easier to use one of the Google gadgets provided by Toodledo to show your task list in either gmail or gcal?
saskia.x

Posted: Mar 30, 2011
I would be very interested in such a function, or perhaps just an easy way to move individual tasks between the two. I much prefer Toodledo for organising all of my tasks, projects, goals etc, but I find Google tasks handy for noting particularly important or urgent tasks - things I want to have "in my face"! I have Google Tasks displayed alongside my Google calendar; I also have the Toodledo widget there but I find the way that Google Tasks is fully integrated with the calendar much more useful & I like its simplicity. If I have a particular task that REALLY needs to get done asap, or that I intend to do on a specific date, I can have it appear directly in my calendar (as though it were an appointment) by merely setting a due date; I can also add tasks to the calendar in exactly the same way I'd add an event - by clicking on that day on the calendar (I don't even have to decide before I've clicked the date whether it's going to be a task or an appointment). The Google Tasks widget sits there like a little post-it note on the side of my calendar, keeping me constantly reminded of the key tasks I need to do, and makes it really easy to add new tasks. At the moment I tend to either type things into Google Tasks manually, or sometimes I copy & paste between Toodledo & Google Tasks, but this is a bit tedious to do and loses associated information like the note & due date.

I think Toodledo is the best task managing app out there, but Google Tasks is very different kind of tool. Personally, I don't think it would be at all suited to managing large volumes of tasks (it's just too simple, and to make it more complicated would spoil some of the things that are good about it), and it doesn't really provide much scope for deeper levels of organisation. Toodledo has a very powerful set of features, that allow a high degree of flexibility & organisation - perfect for managing a large &/or complex set of tasks. I think of Toodledo as my "master list" and planning tool, whereas Google Tasks is more of a daily todo list, like you might scrawl on a post-it note or scrap of paper. The very fact that it is merely a "simple checkist" is the reason I want to use it - when I'm just trying to get important stuff done, I don't want the distraction of dealing with my entire task list and all of the options for fiddling with it that Toodledo provides!

Obviously it would be great if Toodledo had a straightforward means of displaying a distraction-free daily todo list that I could display prominently alongside my calendar and on my phone home screen (which I can currently do with an Android app that syncs with my Google Tasks), but I can see the merit of not overcomplicating Toodledo with features that are adequately provided by other services that it could sync with.

On the issue of whether Google Tasks allows syncing, I do know that Android apps can do this - I have a calendar & task app called "Jorte" that syncs with my Google Tasks (another reason it would be handy to be able to sync Toodledo with them!). So presumably it is theoretically possible to sync third party services with it, it's just a question of whether this exists in a way that is usable by Toodledo.

Personally, my ideal syncing function between the two would be to only import tasks from Toodledo that match certain criteria; for instance only those tasks which are marked "next action" or that have a particular tag. I don't really need any complicated mapping between the two, it would be fine if all my Toodledo tasks were just imported into one list and I could just manually reorganise them (information about the task that needs to be stored in order to sync correctly back to Toodledo could perhaps just be contained in the note field if there wasn't any other way to handle it).

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011.
piyush_soni

Posted: Mar 30, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
1). ToodleDo is right, Google currently doesn't have an API to sync with their tasks, but they have a plan for it now. It is one of Google's top priorities for tasks, but I guess they can't comment on a timeframe ;) (Sorry, was tempted to write this :))
See:
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/top-tasks-for-google-tasks.html

There are other services as well which 'kind of' sync with Google Tasks, but it is through their Calendar API, and is done in an 'unspecified' way - so it is 'possible' but fragile as of today.

2). I'm afraid that with the tasks plans Google has, it won't be 'simple' anymore which is probably what you want. So ToodleDo slim or 'gadgets' would probably be a better way to go. I use them along with the ToodleDo<->Google 'iCal syncing' which helps me see my ToodleDo tasks in Google Calendar as they were events as well.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011.
piyush_soni

Posted: May 11, 2011
And for all those who have been waiting for this, Google has finally announced an API for their Tasks. :) Might be a good news or bad news for Toodledo, depending on how they see it :)

See here:
http://googleappsdeveloper.blogspot.com/2011/05/getting-organized-with-tasks-api.html

or here:
http://code.google.com/apis/tasks/
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 12, 2011
Yeah, we saw this today too. We put this on our to-do list. Syncing with Google Tasks would be a nice feature.
juanantoniod

Posted: Jun 23, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Hello everyone,

Here is why one would want to sync Google Tasks with Toodledo Tasks:

In the vein of trying to switch to Web apps, I am using the Gmail native Web based email client. In the Gmail client, there is a command to make an email into a task. So, I would like the tasks that are created inside the Gmail client as Google Tasks, to sync with my Toodledo Tasks.

I have been an Outlook enthusiast since 1997, and now, in 2011, am trying to switch all of my PIM applications to Web based applications.

Therefore, I chose Toodledo as my Task List manager, and, although I do not _love_ the Web interface, it does work well on iPhone.

I am also able to integrate Toodledo with reQall by using reQall's "Share" function to send voice to text tasks to Toodledo. I activated the availability to email Toodledo tasks, then set up a Contact in reQall named, "Task List" with that email address. So, now I can call in my tasks to reQall by simply saying, "Share" and then recording my task, and then sharing with "Task List". It works perfectly.

Can someone comment on any ideas of how to make the syncing of Google Tasks with Toodledo Tasks possible? It would sure help me a lot, even if I had to go to a desktop based app that sync'd with both, as a mediator in between.

Thanks for any help!

~Antonio
Jon_R

Posted: Jul 02, 2011
Any chance you have looked more into this? It would be great to have Google Tasks sync up to Toodledo - would replace your current widgets and provide a great integration with Google.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 02, 2011
We are still looking into it.
simon

Posted: Jul 09, 2011
For what it's worth, Pocket Informant will be adding Google Task synching to their next release which is due at the end of July. As PI synchs with Toodledo, perhaps it could act as a conduit. I agree, it would be very nice to have Google Tasks in Toodledo.
leejilang

Posted: Aug 21, 2011
Any updates from Toodledo on Syncing w. Google Tasks?
cj

Posted: Aug 30, 2011
I too like the idea off synching with google tasks. And to reinforce what others are saying: I love toodledo and have been a pro subscriber for over 2 years, I don't want give up the functionality or organization of toodledo ... but Gmail (and other google products) are the ones I use most frequently on an hourly even min by min basis. I have many other apps (such as on my ipad and driod) that have convenient one-stop integration of all my google apps. While I can sometimes add in toodledo as a gadget, many times I cannot, or rather google-tasks is more integrated (it sucks, but I don't blame them for integrating). So, if toodledo were integrated or otherwise connected to google tasks, that would be just another thing to make life easier.
naruto137

Posted: Sep 24, 2011
Please implement this!
Tim

Posted: Sep 24, 2011
+1
matt.eggers

Posted: Sep 27, 2011
please implement this!
ookubo.y

Posted: Sep 28, 2011
please implement this!
Mapdoc

Posted: Oct 03, 2011
Posted by naruto137:
Please implement this!

DITTO!!!
darkpollo

Posted: Oct 13, 2011
+1
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.