ForumsQuestionsZenDesk

ZenDesk
iDazz

Posted: Feb 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
Hi

Couldn't find anything on the forum related to this so apologies if it's been asked before.

I'm using ZenDesk to collate support requests from clients. I have ToodleDo setup as a "target" and when a ZenDesk ticket is updated with certain values a trigger kicks in and sends an email to my ToodleDo account which creates a new task with the required values.

This all works fine, except the ticket notes which are sent in the body of the email are not being populated in the task.

If I have the ZenDesk tickets sent to my email address instead, and then have that email forwarded to ToodleDo, the notes are retained in the new task.

Anyone have any idea why the notes sent directly from ZenDesk to ToodleDo are not importing the notes?

Thanks
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Feb 28, 2011
Make sure ZenDesk is forwarding the new email with data in the body and not as an attachement (like it happens with outlook).

If the email from ZenDesk creates the task but not the notes perhpas there are special characters in the email that are being stripped when you send it to your personal address. Is your email in html mode?
iDazz

Posted: Mar 01, 2011
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, ZenDesk essentially sends a regular email with subject line being the ticket subject and the body being the comments. Nothing strange about it, no attachments or odd characters etc. The email is multi-part mime so I have no control over how ToodleDo picks them up directly from ZenDesk, but I've tried forwarding both plain text and the original email which works ok.

It works fine when I forward them manually (either from Outlook or GMail) just not directly from ZenDesk which only creates the task and doesn't import the notes. I've also tried setting up a filter in gmail to automatically forward them to ToodleDo, but this also creates the task but skips the email body.

It seems that it only works if I forward them myself.
iDazz

I've been experimenting to see what works and what doesn't.

What I want to do is have ZenDesk send an email to ToodleDo and have the body text saved as notes in the resulting task. No human intervention.

What doesn't work:

* ZD sends the email directly to TD - task created but no notes.
* ZD sends email to alternative email address, and Gmail forwards it to TD using a filter - task created but no notes.

What does works:

* ZD sends email to alternative email address, and the email is forwarded manually either through Outlook or GMail - task created and notes saved.
* As above but have Outlook rule forward email to TD - task created and notes saved.

I have also used a different email address in place of TD in the above processes so I can see what is actually being sent to TD, and the only difference is that emails forwarded from Outlook have a content type of multipart/mixed whereas zendesk and gmail emails are multipart/alternative. I don't see how this is an issue though.

Would love to sort it out.
iDazz

It just occured to me that I hadn't tried sending myself an email and having gmail filter it and send it TD. From ZenDesk to TD that doesn't work but it seems to work when I send my own email.

This leads me to believe something happens to the email when I forward it manually that doesn't happen when it's sent from ZenDesk to TD or forwarded by a gmail filter. No idea what though. :-\
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.