ForumsTips & TricksAnyone using Dial2Do.com?

Anyone using Dial2Do.com?
Jeremy

Posted: Dec 09, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I just discovered dial2do after learning of Sandy's terminal condition. Looks like a powerful program that allows for a lot of functionality through your phone.

The transcription seems to be a billion times better than Jott and right now its still free.

Does anyone use this service and are there any Toodledo hacks that anyone is using (Dial2Do.com has a Toodledo connection)?

Jeremy
KatBoy

Posted: Dec 10, 2008
I've signed up for this but just played around/tested so far. Everything I've tried has been brill:

ToodleDo entry
Google calendar entry
Translating: French and German
Sending text
Sending email

Must start using it more....
davidholliday

Interesting.

I've been using Jott and this does seem to be more accurate at deciphering my mumblings . I'll keep my Jott account for now, but Dial2Do is looking to be very promising.

With the iPhone, the more that can be done by voice, the better.
Jeremy

What is the syntax for entering a ToodleDo entry?
sventhebrit

Posted: Dec 11, 2008
Just tried Dial2Do -- seems to work OK. It is much so faster than Reqall.

Jeremy -- There is no syntax for ToodleDo Entry with Dial2Do. You need to enable it by going to the DoMore tab on the Dial2Do website and then search for Toodledo. You will need to enter your account details into the Dial2Do website which I was a little dubious about.

Toodledo -- Could API access be enabled for Dial2Do (similar to how Vitalist works with Dial2Do) which means we wouldn't have to give our login details to them ?

Regards
Steve
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Our API is free to use. We don't know how Dial2Do is doing it, but I suspect that they are using the API.
sventhebrit

Ok Thanks,
I would prefer to give them the "Unique Id" rather than my Username and Password -- just seems safer.
Steve
Gregory Suvalian

Posted: Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for this find. I stopped using Jott after they went pay-for.
JWest

Posted: Jan 01, 2009
If you look at how to add a task via email, there is already a simple way to add tasks with revealing username or password. You can also give this 'private' email address to your boss or wife who could email you tasks on the fly.

This message was edited Jan 01, 2009.
jmeyer21

Posted: Jan 01, 2009
I just signed up for Dial2Do today after working awhile with Jott. I liked the Jott Iphone App, but this seems like a nice way to get quick items into Toodledo. Very promising.

I was surprised to see new tasks posted to Toodledo come in without any of the defaults for folder, context, etc.

This message was edited Jan 01, 2009.
sylviemcgee

Posted: Mar 05, 2009
Hmmm, just signed up for Dial2do - thanks for the heads up on this...but when I try to send an email to add a task to Toodledo, I got this message sent to me (I've enabled getting a copy of the emails I send):

<[email protected]>: cannot access mailbox /var/mail/mail_archive
for user mail_archive. error writing message: File too large

The whole message was: Test message. Check Dial2do.

Any help appreciated - I love the idea of being able to call in quick things like pick up milk, buy heater, etc...

Thanks!
sylviemcgee

Never mind - the message has arrived as a task. Can't figure out why I got that email, but it seems to be working fine. WOW, this stuff is AMAZING! ;)
Vin Thomas

I have been using Dial2Do mainly for my ToodleDo. It is great when I am driving and need to make sure my task gets recorded. It's like Jott, but free!
sventhebrit

Posted: Mar 06, 2009
Posted by Vin Thomas:
I have been using Dial2Do mainly for my ToodleDo. It is great when I am driving and need to make sure my task gets recorded. It's like Jott, but free!

Me too - it works very well.
Steve
cj

Posted: Aug 15, 2009
I am a huge fan of Dial2Do (lots of improvements over the past few months - and way better than Jott was) - though google voice I can see one day doing the dial2do functionality.

I use it for toodledo - lots ... but has anyone figured out yet if (or how) other options can be sent via dial2do to toodledo???

I actually think I can say things like "due next week" - but not sure. When I say "high priority" it is typed out in the task.

I wish I knew more about dial2do integration to program is to it passed on parameters to toodledo. it would be awesome.

anyone?
Vin Thomas

Posted: Aug 15, 2009
It is funny because if I use the word "Today" or "Tomorrow" or "Wednesday" etc, it will set that as the due date. But I haven't really experimented with it further.

Would be cool to set those from the phone, but I suspect it would be darn near impossible. If I need to set those options, I SMS the task in via twitter.
lite1

Posted: Aug 16, 2009
?s/your experience with Dial2Do - I just setup acct and am emailing the message to my unique TD email address.
1) It seems that there is slightly less than 30 second limit on anyone message. Is that correct? I did not see any mention of this on Dial2Do, but it'd make some sense that it is limited. Regardless,the Dial2Do cut me off in just under 30 seconds and prompted me What do you want to do?
2)Differences in the amount of information that is available for a single message. A) On Dial2Do website I can listen to the message that they have recorded. B) They send email to me at my registered account with transcription. and C) They send email to TD to my unique email address. For one of my test messages the three "versions" did not match each other. Namely,
B & C match each other exactly as I'd expect as they are both emails; yet both have about 5 or 6 seconds of the information at the end of the recording that is in A that has not been transcribed.
Do other people have problems with Dial2Do failing to transcribe the latter part of their recorded message?

The transcription was quite accurate which is amazing however if it drops text, it can not be trusted as part of a task system except for tasks that are personal and fairly unimportant.

Thanks for any advice and your own experience.
cj

Posted: Aug 16, 2009
Posted by lite1:
?s/your experience with Dial2Do - I just setup acct a
The transcription was quite accurate which is amazing however if it drops text, it can not be trusted as part of a task system except for tasks that are personal and fairly unimportant.
Thanks for any advice and your own experience.

Dial2Do and Toodledo are the two services I use daily, hourly - or even more frequently :-) I am wild about both services (except for Toodledo's high future tasks approach!!).

I never noticed any time limit on Dial2do messages, it's always been more than enough for me -- and I use it a lot -- but it's not supposed to be used for dictation, at least not yet. If Dial2do is timing out on you, my guess is that it might have something to do with your cell phone or Bluetooth connection, where Dial2do interprets static or silence as the end of your message.

Anyway, half of my Dial2do use is in sending tasks to Toodledo. I was experimenting a few dozen times last night, and the only discovery I made was that Dial2do passes along the due date (as the prior poster stated). I can say, merely "today, tomorrow or next week" or even "September 12" or any date and Toodledo will interpret that as the due date. I tried, and I don't think Toodledo recognizes priority, tag, context, or any other fields.

But the really really cool thing about Dial2do is the feeds: I can have Dial2do read all my e-mails, and news feeds... and I can listen probably for an hour. When I turn on the RSS feature in Toodledo, I can have Dial2do read my tasks for today, and also read any reminders sent to email.

It's not perfect... yet. It would be perfect if Dial2do and Toodledo (or qualified developers) would collaborate just a little bit... I don't think it would take much: just the ability to dictate some extra parameters for Toodledo, and the ability to create more custom and flexible Toodledo RSS feeds.

Hope this helps!

CJ
jeanmichellebeau

Posted: Aug 17, 2009
What is the best : Dial2Do or Jott?
Anders

Posted: Aug 17, 2009
I think you are going to find people who swear by both. The biggest difference IMO is that Jott charges a monthly fee now while Dial2Do is still free I believe. I haven't used either. I used ReQall and it seemed like a good service, but I just found that the whole concept just didn't do much for me.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.