ForumsTips & TricksOutlook 2007 Forward To Toodledo Email Import As You File To Fol

Outlook 2007 Forward To Toodledo Email Import As You File To Fol
Joshua

Posted: Dec 30, 2008
Score: 1 Reference
I am using a GTD style task system and I wanted a way to add emails I have a Next Action on from Outlook 2007 into Toodledo. Found VBA Macros would help me do that. Please feel free to use this in your workflow.

Directions:
1- Put this code in Tools > Macros > Visual Basic Editor. Expand the tree Microsoft Office Outlook and doubleclick ThisOutlookSession. Copy the code here.
2- Edit CAP fields to match your FOLDER_NAME_HERE, YOURSECRETEMAIL.XXXXXX, etc. You can also edit "! *Next Actions @Work" per Toodledo's Email Import special syntax rules to allow for auto filing upon import. http://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php
3- Save. Then close VBA Editor and Outlook.
4- Reopen Outlook and test. When you drag/drop an email in the said folder you should get a confirm/OK prompt.

Note:
1- The folder you are applying this macro to must be inside the Inbox in your Outlook folders. You can probably customize this if you know some VBA, but this was how my workflow was setup.
2- Only tested on Outlook 2007.
3- Modified script found at http://www.peculier.com/code/outlook.html.

I'm happy to help if anyone is having any problems. Happy Toodledo-ing.

--Macro--

' Copyright under GPL by Mark Grimes
' Edited by Joshua McNary (with help from Vaish Pidathala) for use with Toodledo.com

Option Explicit

Private WithEvents objActionItems As Items

' instantiate Items collections for folders we want to monitor
Private Sub Application_Startup()
Dim objNS As NameSpace
Set objNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set objActionItems = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox).Folders.Item("FOLDER_NAME_HERE").Items
Set objNS = Nothing
End Sub

' disassociate global objects declared WithEvents
Private Sub Application_Quit()
Set objActionItems = Nothing
End Sub

' Forward msg when new msg added to folder
' Prompt before sending
Private Sub objActionItems_ItemAdd(ByVal Item As Object)
Dim Response As Variant
Dim myForward As Variant

Response = MsgBox("Forward message (" + Item.Subject + ") to Toodledo", vbYesNo)
If Response = vbYes Then
Set myForward = Item.Forward
myForward.Subject = "" + Item.Subject + " ! *Next Actions @@Work"
myForward.Recipients.Add "[email protected]"
myForward.Send
End If
End Sub

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008.
gjergjs

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi Joshua,

i just read your post and it`s amazing that you`ve found a work around in order to have emails going as tasks. I was wondering if it is possible to have emails as tasks by only flagging them or something like that.

Thanks a lot,
Gjergj
Anders

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
Gjergj, you may already know about this, but I thought I would mention Toodledo's email import system which Joshua's macro utilizes. You can simply forward emails to Toodledo to be added as tasks, and you can even set things like Priority, Context, etc.
https://www.toodledo.com/info/help_email.php
gjergjs

Posted: Jul 17, 2009
Thanks for your post Anders! I have parallel inboxes in two different machines (one at work and one at home) and i wanted to be able to flag all the messages that i have to work on and have the same flag appear on the machine at home (although the email forwarding option, as you suggested, is also a solution, still i find it easier the flagging idea). From reading posts around i`ve noticed that this is a wanted/awaited option for many other users. Do you know of any work around? Thanks, gj
Joshua

Posted: Aug 23, 2009
In Outlook I was unable to find a way to use flags (or any other method) to do the forward to Toodledo. This macro was it. I will note, as Anders did, that while I still use this macro, I am also now using the Toodledo email import directly in my subject line when forwarding from my iPhone for instance. The codes are a bit tricky, but if you memorize them you can just do that really quick.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.