ForumsTips & TricksToodledo Mindmap GTD opml iMindmap

Toodledo Mindmap GTD opml iMindmap
Aamy

Posted: Jun 28, 2011
Score: 3 Reference
Hi all,

I found some previous discussions (locked due to age) around using mindmap for GTD. Very interesting.

I find it very hard to brainstorm ideas and plan project or even organise tasks in textual mode. Once I open toodledo and look at my big list and go one by one, I start getting bored after processing around 10 tasks. I think mindmaps might be very useful here. I\'m using iMindmap (damn costly) at the moment.

My plan is to build couple of xsl stylesheets that can transform my Toodledo xml export into multiple opml extracts. For eg, one of my xsl stylesheet will be aimed at daily planning. This will pick and convert only tasks that were completed yesterday, starred list, focused project tasks etc into opml files. Note that the final opml file will have only task names and not other fields (it will ignore scheduling details, notes etc). But the format will have three hierarchies - folder/tasks/subtasks.

Now, I will import this opml format into iMindmap and run the same as a presentation. It will be awesome. In 3D mode, it will just go through each task (centered at my big screen) folder by folder. And I can brainstorm follow-up tasks etc from it.

I haven\'t decided what are the different extracts that I\'m going to use and how but it will include minimum extracts for daily & weekly reviews/planning.

Finally I might pack all the stylesheets into a package and use the Toodledo api and by-pass the manual xml extracting and transformation activity.

Will keep you guys posted on how it works out.

Anyone ever tried bridging Toodledo and any Mindmap applications? Would be great to hear if someone has tried this earlier.

Thanks & Regards
Aamy :-)
joelhfx

Posted: Jul 12, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I had the exact same thought,almost.
I was looking to translate it to freemind since it is open-source and can be imported to pretty much any mind-mapping software. Also importable to www.mind42.com putting into the cloud.
Even mobile devices have apps that support this format.
Imagine being able to select branches called Status, context, folder, and goals that contain the tasks assorted accordingly.
**drool**

It should be easy. I could probably do it in Excel.
Aamy

Posted: Jul 14, 2011
Hi all,

I made it happen... My XSL transforming my Toodledo XML export into eight OPML files (one file for each folder). The OPML files are universal standards for mind-mapping applications and its terrific importing them into iMindmap and brainstorm (in presentation mode).

My next step is to build a simple Java application which will use these XSL, connect directly to Toodledo via its API and produce me these OPML files, which will save me some of the current manual effort/time.

joelhfx, I guess freemind also does import OPML format. Good luck with it.

I wish Toodledo do consider improving their UI to support a mind-mapping view for filtered project(s)/tasks. Would be awesome.

Only drawback is that my mind-maps are only 3 levels deep, which is still alright, since I don't want to dwelve too deeper into any task/project.

Even though mind-maps are a very different subject altogether (its purpose, principle), I would love to see Todo applications and Mind-mapping being integrated which would be a wonderful thing in terms of innovative fun planning.

I know MLO does support this feature with a MindManager plug-in.
alvarxx06

Posted: Nov 04, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
I wish too.
It would be absolutly great.

I think is the best next step of development of toodledo.
Does we know something new about it?
scott

Posted: Dec 20, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Aamy:
Hi all,

I made it happen... My XSL transforming my Toodledo XML export into eight OPML files (one file for each folder). The OPML files are universal standards for mind-mapping applications and its terrific importing them into iMindmap and brainstorm (in presentation mode).

That is awesome Aamy. Is there any way to get that XSL?
tom.boonen

Posted: Feb 01, 2012
Score: 2 Reference
great to see that great minds think alike ;-)
I 'm using both imindmap and toodledo (with DGT GTD on android phone) and would love to have my imindmap control center manage toodledo
aamy, can you please share a 'howto' to copy your xsl process ?
thanks
LizP

Posted: Mar 31, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Any news on this great idea? I find it so difficult to plan using lists and so much easier using a MindMap - but ToodleDo is so much better than the "tasks" feature in Freemind.

There are some Freemind to "to do" type converters/exporters here:

http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Accessories

Does anyone know whether any of these would work with ToodleDo?

I don't know enough about this to have the faintest idea of the answer to that question.

Best wishes,
Liz
curtisc_1337545806

Posted: Jul 07, 2012
Aamy - Is your XSL available?
Liz - Did you ever try the Freemind tools?

Clayton
bgfons

Posted: Jul 11, 2012
I'd be interested in knowing how you exported your tasklists from Toodledo into mind42. I like the idea of seeing my tasklist in a mind map, but not if it meant recreating it and having to update it separately from Toodledo.

I wonder if Toodledo could just add an option to view the task list in a mind map.

Thanks. Bryan

Posted by joelhfx:
I had the exact same thought,almost.
I was looking to translate it to freemind since it is open-source and can be imported to pretty much any mind-mapping software. Also importable to www.mind42.com putting into the cloud.
Even mobile devices have apps that support this format.
Imagine being able to select branches called Status, context, folder, and goals that contain the tasks assorted accordingly.
**drool**

It should be easy. I could probably do it in Excel.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2012.
joelhfx

Posted: Jul 31, 2012
I haven't tried anything with this yet. My next action would be to find the format in which freemind can accept a map then write a program that could use toodledo's exported list to generate a map.
This would be clunky at best as it wouldn't have a sync feature and would be a manual operation prone to errors. A real programmer could pull this off using the APIs I'm sure.
LizP

Posted: Oct 04, 2012
@curtisc_1337545806

Apologies for the delay replying - I don't think I received a notification that there were any more comments. I just happened to land today as I am exploring this again and this thread turned up in Google Search results.

To answer your question, I would have liked to have tried this one, which links ToDoList with Freemind but it runs on Windows and I use a Mac:

http://www.jools.net/archives/6

I am not interested enough to install Parallels or Bootcamp just to try this out - life is too short! I am sure that there must be a Windows-user here somewhere who might be interested in giving it a whirl :-)

Best wishes,

Liz

ps. I am gobsmacked that someone has taken the trouble to "vote down" my previous comment here, which I thought might be helpful - cheers for the encouragement, whoever that was!
mdonahoe

Posted: Dec 18, 2012
Freemind is available for Mac, I use it all the time...
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.