ForumsTips & TricksAndroid Easy Task/Note Entry

Android Easy Task/Note Entry
AzDayton

Posted: Jul 25, 2011
Score: 11 Reference
Flame Prevention Clause: There are probably iPhone and other mail client alternatives to this method. I don't know them cos I'm an Android guy, but chances are good that if you can do it on Android, you can probably do it on iPhone, so let's not get caught up in a "My phone is better than your phone" war. This is only about a METHOD. :-)

If you have an Android, you have (or can get free) an app called Voice Search.

This is actually quite a bit more than a search feature. It recognizes a number of commands.

One of these commands is "Note To Self". This will take whatever you say after saying "Note To Self" and create an email from it, already addressed to your GMail account and with a recording of your voice attached, which is handy in case you're in a hurry and speak too fast for good transcription.

Here's where the magic happens...

In GMail, you can set up "Filters" which will recognize messages with a subject of "Note To Self". You can have these messages forwarded. I have mine forwarded to both ToodleDo and EverNote, because some are tasks, and some are other notes.

Either way, once they're in my system, it's a piece of cake to clean them up, making good Tasks or Notes out of them, as the case may warrant.

In actual practice, it looks like this. I pull out my phone, hold down the Search key for two seconds, say "Note To Self, When you're in Chicago, pick up a new Tommygun". A few minutes later, that appears in my ToodleDo tasks and in my EverNote Notes. What could be simpler? Then it's just a matter of cleaning my InBox! Granted, I have to change the Task Name / Subject, but that's cake.

Hope this helps some of you out there!

Setting up the Filters in GMail is pretty simple too (and free). If you can use ToodleDo, you can surely make the filter(s) you need.

I should also point out that I don't think the Voice files will be retained by ToodleDo and EverNote if you have free accounts. Seems I read something about file attachments being a pay feature. But they'll still be in GMail if you need them.

- Dayton - Mon. 07/25/2011 @ 15:38:17

This message was edited Jul 25, 2011.
android_1311784418

Posted: Jul 28, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
This sounds neat! Who's the publisher of this app? It looks like there are at least two apps on the Android market called 'Voice Search', and neither one of them claims to support command-and-control type functionality.
ben

Posted: Jul 30, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by android_1311784418:
This sounds neat! Who's the publisher of this app? It looks like there are at least two apps on the Android market called 'Voice Search', and neither one of them claims to support command-and-control type functionality.

Voice Search by Google aka Voice Actions requires 2.2 of Android or greater and your phone must be set to English.

http://www.google.com/mobile/voice-actions/
Dennis

Posted: Aug 11, 2011
Nice tip, thanks!
It can be handy, because most apps require more actions to add a simple note. Processing can be done later. :)
moabdave

Posted: Sep 06, 2011
This works great for me! And the voice recognition is more accurate than any I've run across. Thanks!
teriaross

Posted: Oct 07, 2011
Very nice tip. Extremely useful. Thanks so much!
bgznkitties

Posted: Oct 17, 2011
How do I do this?
When I do a Voice Search on my Android and say, "Note to self," before the thing I want to have e-mailed to me, it just searches "Note to self" on the internet.
Ideas?
teriaross

Posted: Oct 20, 2011
@bgznkitties - be sure you have the latest version of Android's Voice Search installed, as that is the version that supports voice actions. I had the same problem until I updated the voice app.
EssieGriff

Posted: Oct 26, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 and just downloaded an app called Vlingo. It looks like it will do similar tasks. Though, I think I will set it up just to email Toodledo vs. my gmail account. Thanks for the work-around!
shoya84

Posted: Oct 27, 2011
VocaNote is another Android app that does almost the same thing without the need for "note to self".
nathanb131

Posted: Oct 29, 2011
My Android has this as a native function. I have the Droid3 and maybe this is an update for Gingerbread (v2.3). But just holding down the search button brings up the voice control and 'note to self sends it to gmail'....

However, I didn't think of the ability to autoforward... That saves a step, thanks!

I recently started using an app called Rapidfire Tasks which automates specific email-to-task/note services. It has toodledo, evernote, and a couple other options. You can create an icon shortcut for specific entries, such as grocery list, to-do-today, to-do-next-week, inbox note, someday task...etc. So instead of opening evernote or toodledo and then selecting the appropriate fields you can just hit that particular icon and only have to type the entry without having to specify due date/folder/urgency etc etc.

I love the ability to customize and overcomplicate with toodledo but sometimes this creates a lot of resistance to easily entering a simple little item without the fear of it falling through the cracks. Having these pre-configured quick entry options really helps!
bgreenwood2000

Posted: Nov 06, 2011
Well I've updated to latest Voice Search app, and it still doesn't work (just does the Google search). HTC Wildfire S running Android 2.3

I am in the British though, and came across a comment on the Android market that says Voice Actions only works for US English. Does that mean I have to fake an American accent to get this to work!? Anyone out there able to enlighten me?

Barbara
wav

Posted: Nov 29, 2011
I use ToodleTask on my android phone to add tasks quickly. It works with either the keyboard or the voice button on the keyboard. It does automatically set the tasks with a due date of tomorrow but that makes them come up in my radar pretty easily to deal with them further.
Thanks for the great app suggestions.
jwhoehn

Posted: Jan 25, 2012
I really like the idea of "note to self." I was able to set up the gmail filter to forward to evernote, but I have not been able to figure out how to get the verify code from Toodledo using the normal gmail filter/forwarding address. Has anybody else had this problem?
If I manually forward, I can get it to work, but the email forwarding requires the verify code.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.