ForumsTips & TricksJust invented a new kind of Search

Just invented a new kind of Search
Salgud

Posted: Jul 27, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
Not that someone else hasn't thought of this before.

I have a 1:1 meeting with my boss every Monday morning. I have a task called "Prep for 1:1" in TD where I make a list of all the things I need to discuss with him. This tasks starts on Tues and ends the following Monday and repeats every week. So far, so good. The problem was, finding this task amongst all the others every time I needed to add something to it. I was doing an ad hoc search for 1:1 every time, which was a PITA.

This morning, I tagged it "1:1", and created a saved Search for 1:1. Now, I just click on that Saved Search, click on the Notes icon in the task, and there I am. Never thought of using a Search just to find one task, but it sure saves time here.

It has also occurred to me that this would be good use of a Note in the Notebook. Might try that too.
alexandremrj_2

Posted: Jul 27, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I use my boss as a context - that way, active tasks, waiting or plain notes are all tagged with the context
CharleneTX

Posted: Aug 02, 2011
Another way to handle this situation is the have a task "Prep for 1:1" and put the items in the notebook. That's how I do something similar.

--Charlene
lparanal

Posted: Aug 04, 2011
If it's an issue coming from an email outside our 1:1 schedule, I change the subject of the email to F (for follow-up):X(boss' initial) - question? i.e. F:K-has the test file been reviewed? and forward it to my toodledo address or I add a task inside TD with this format. For our weekly 1-on-1s, I collate everything in a note, titled Agenda and put the current items on top of the old ones, separated by the date.
Salgud

Posted: Aug 04, 2011
Posted by lparanal:
If it's an issue coming from an email outside our 1:1 schedule, I change the subject of the email to F (for follow-up):X(boss' initial) - question? i.e. F:K-has the test file been reviewed? and forward it to my toodledo address or I add a task inside TD with this format. For our weekly 1-on-1s, I collate everything in a note, titled Agenda and put the current items on top of the old ones, separated by the date.

If that works for you, great. Personally, I'm a KISS kinda guy!
saskia.x

Posted: Sep 26, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
If this task is one that you frequently add things to (especially if it's something you might want to add to when you don't already have Toodledo open), you could consider creating something like a browser bookmark or a desktop link to the task itself, using the "permanent link" feature (copy the task link by right clicking on "permanent link" under the "actions" menu for the task in question). That way you don't even have to bother switching to Toodledo from wherever you already are, navigating to search & finding your saved search in the list, you just click on your bookmark or desktop icon & you're there! Whether you use a bookmark or a desktop link mostly depends on whether you are someone who always has their browser open - if you have the browser running almost permanently it probably makes more sense to use a bookmark, otherwise a desktop link makes the most sense as clicking on the link will actually launch the browser for you too.

I have done something similar by putting a list of links to tasks in a note on my desktop (my Notepad replacement app, Metapad, automatically makes links clickable) or in Evernote, or in the note field of another task. For instance, I have a text file on my desktop that acts as a kind of "index" of all of my most used views & tasks, which is very handy for launching Toodledo in exactly the view that I want to see at that moment. Another situation where this kind of thing is very useful is when I'm trying to establish new routines for working with my tasks, using a series of links to individual tasks & views corresponding to each step I need to take in the routine. This is a great way to create an ordered, step-by-step process. In fact, just thinking about it now, I'm getting ideas about how to use this even more! There are quite a lot of instances where I want to complete a series of tasks in a step-by-step fashion but since Toodledo doesn't offer things like dependencies yet I work around this by just making a list of links to each task in the parent task's note.

Anyway, in your situation it might make more sense to just create an individual link to this specific task via your bookmarks or as a desktop link, but if you tend to find you have a few tasks like this that you need frequent access to perhaps you could put them all in a list somewhere. Obviously this idea can be applied to anywhere you can create links: bookmarks, links in other applications that allow hyperlinking, desktop links, links pasted into notes, sticky notes apps, etc. I often put links to relevant tasks in the description field of calendar events (although annoyingly Google calendar doesn't make these clickable, but if I select the link & right click I can easily launch it so it's not too bad!).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.