ForumsTips & TricksDaily tasks

Daily tasks
mitra

Posted: Sep 15, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
Hi - I have a set of tasks I like to do daily, and another set for weekly and so on. I'm not quite sure how to set them up.

If I set them as repeating daily, then as soon as I check them off, the new repeating task is set up, and clutters up the list (the only way to tell if its today's task or not is to look over at the due date). Is there any way to setup the task so it doesn't get recreated until the next day?
mco

Posted: Sep 15, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Look at repeating events with start dates. You will probably need to make the start date field visible, and experiment a bit to achieve the effect you want.
Folke X

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
mitra,

If you use a saved search (or the built-in hotlist) you could easiliy avoid this problem. In a saved search, just specify "due before tomorrow". You can also specify "repeat is none" etc to exclude repeating items.
Salgud

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
If these tasks are Starred, the next one will automatically be starred and reappear on your Starred list automatically. You have to de-Star a starred repeating task every time you mark it complete.

This is one of my pet peeves about TD and would like to see an option to auto-destar a task when it is marked competed.
saskia.x

Posted: Sep 22, 2011
If you set start dates on these tasks to be the same as the due dates, then the task will be hidden until it becomes due (assuming you have future tasks hidden). This is what I do with all of my repeating tasks, the only time it doesn't work is when I reschedule a task that I haven't managed to do on time and forget to alter the start date!
bottomley.cs

Posted: Sep 25, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I do this by creating a task called Daily, setting it to repeat daily, and then sticking all my daily tasks under there as subtasks that repeat with parent. Last thing at night, when I take a few minutes to set up the next day's task list, part of that process is to check off Daily (even if I've missed some of the subtasks) so it starts fresh tomorrow.

This might be a bit trickier to adapt to once-a-week tasks, but I bet there's a way.
dg33ad

Posted: Oct 26, 2011
I had a similar problem, and what I did was set the Hotlist to contain items that had either a due date within the next 1 day OR the status of Next Action. Then I marked the status of the repeating tasks as Active (because they are!) instead of Next Action. So they end up on my Hotlist if they are due that day (because of their due date), but once I check them off they don't reappear until their next appointed time because their status is not Next Action nor is their due date today. I hope that makes sense. It really helped to declutter my lists of those repeating tasks that I didn't need to worry about until later.
PTaubman

Posted: Dec 19, 2011
I am using this to help me do tasks that I want to do daily. By having it on my list of things to accomplish, I am more likely to get it done.

However, there are times when I do not get to a task for a couple of days. These daily tasks are more 'nice-to-do' items and are not mandatory, so if I miss it, it is ok.

But, I end up having to mark it done for maybe 4 days in a row. I click the box as done, then update. Click, then update. Click, then update.

Is there a way to make a daily task as complete (5 days ago) and have it brought up to date to today?

Thanks.
Paul.
PeterW 

Posted: Dec 20, 2011
If you make the task optionally due (due date modifier) then it won't need to be checked off to regenerate.
CharleneTX

Posted: Dec 20, 2011
If you still want to manually check off the tasks to advance them, you can change the repeat from "repeat from due date" to "repeat from completion date."
Richard_

Posted: Jan 08, 2012
I had the same problem.
My Solution is now tallyzoo for daily tasks:
http://tallyzoo.com/
So my todo-list consists of real "todos" while regular stuff (an apple a day, Workout, Vitamins etc.) is stored in a separate App (I use the Iphone extensively)
Michael_49

Posted: Jan 15, 2012
Anything like TallyZoo for Android? This could be awesome for me!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.