ForumsTips & TricksMy workaround allowing me to manually sort tasks

My workaround allowing me to manually sort tasks
mbeshara

Posted: Sep 15, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I first prioritize my tasks and then use the goals field to assign a different sequential number (01, 02, etc.) to each top priority task. This, of course, is not how the goals field is supposed to be used, but it works. I then sort first by priority and then by "goal."

This message was edited Sep 16, 2011.
CharleneTX

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Do you use the Franklin Covey method of task management? This sounds like a good workaround for that.
mbeshara

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
No, I'm not familiar with that. Did you mean the Franklin Covey method is also a good workaround for the inability to manually sort tasks?
CharleneTX

Posted: Sep 17, 2011
The Franklin Covery method has you separate your priorities into A-B-C, then order your tasks 1-2-3, so you have A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, C1, etc.
mbeshara

Posted: Sep 18, 2011
I guess I stumbled onto their method by myself!
SJThomas1

Posted: Nov 30, 2011
If you prefer the Franklin Covey system, you can use the Goals fields to set it up easily. Works great, easy to change, easy to sort. I prefer to sort by Due Date, then Goals (A1, A2...)

Under Goals, add a new goal;

Enter A 1,
(Put a space in between the letter and number. When you get to a letter and a two-digit number, do not add the space. This is to format for sorting.)

(Choose "Short-term" from the Goal drop-down menu and save.)

(You can add as many or as little (A,B&C) as you wish.)

(Now, the A,B,C priorities will show in the Goals section of each task.)

A 1,
A 2,
A10, etc

B 1,
B 2,
B10 etc

C 1,
C 2,
C10 etc
johnsonwarren

Posted: Dec 15, 2011
I was also frustrated by not having more control over manually sorting priorities and almost gave up on Toodledo. Then I came across The one minute to do list by Michael Linenberger (1mtd.biz) which has a whole section on Toodle integrating with his approach.

Toodledo even has a link to preset your settings to match the Linenberger system. His system uses a start date approach to help reorder items so the fresh ones are on top, and you change the start date to give more fine tuning to the ordering of items in toodledo. It's not manual control, but it actually works nicely and has some logic behind it.
http://www.toodledo.com/systems.php

This message was edited Dec 15, 2011.
stephen.p.carney

Posted: Jan 09, 2012
I use the "time" part of date/time to get the sequential sorting I want. Sometimes I target actual times: Do this task 9-10 am, that one at 10, next at 11 etc. Other times, I cluster all the tasks that I'll do after lunch, but with fake times to just get the sequence I want: 1:01 pm, 1:02 pm, etc., for 6 tasks thru 1:06, even if those 6 will together take the rest of the day. I do that sometimes when I don't want to think too hard about the precise timing of each.
davidtatum

Posted: Jan 21, 2012
I'm new to Toodledo so forgive me if I'm missing something. I really like the program/app but why oh why can't you manually sort tasks? The present way of having to change priorities (or using A1, A2, B1 etc) seems like going back to the dark ages of computing (perhaps I'm being a little harsh but you get my drift), when a simple reorder facility would be perfect.

Or should I address my query to Toodledo?

This message was edited Jan 21, 2012.
Purveyor

The owner/developer of Toodledo is already aware of the need for manual sorting but it is obvious that this feature is way down on his list of priorities, and he has only one other guy to help him.

There have been many requests for manual sorting. For example, this topic from May 2009:
Is there a way to control the display order of tasks?
From that topic, here is a comment by one of the most prolific contributors to the Toodledo forums:
Using the Alphabetical hack for this is just not acceptable long term. I see it as a good short term solution, but the lack of sorting by dragging is a real issue for many.
To be fair, the following comment by Jake makes sense:
Other to-do sites have manual sorting because they don't have any of the other sorting methods that we have (due-date, importance, priority, etc). When you try to have both sorting by criteria and manual sorting, it gets really messy.

This message was edited Jan 22, 2012.
PeterW 

Posted by davidtatum:
Or should I address my query to Toodledo?

Yes, in the Questions forum.
naruto137

Posted: Jan 24, 2012
You can sort subtasks (you just need to enable this in the settings) / i think you may need to have a pro subscription to enable subtasks.

My primary reason for sorting tasks is to arrange what I am going to do at the current moment. Hence I have created a task called "Now" with subtasks manually ordered to which I am going to do first.
Folke X

Posted: Jan 25, 2012
Posted by johnsonwarren:
I was also frustrated by not having more control over manually sorting priorities and almost gave up on Toodledo. Then I came across The one minute to do list by Michael Linenberger (1mtd.biz) which has a whole section on Toodle integrating with his approach.

Toodledo even has a link to preset your settings to match the Linenberger system. His system uses a start date approach to help reorder items so the fresh ones are on top, and you change the start date to give more fine tuning to the ordering of items in toodledo. It's not manual control, but it actually works nicely and has some logic behind it.
http://www.toodledo.com/systems.php

I would like to emphasize this recommendation by johnsonwarren. Linenberger's free PDF book ( http://michaellinenberger.com/free1MTD.htm ) is a good read. His MYN metodology itself is GTD-ish, but simpler - very rational. The setup for Toodledo is unproblematic and the resulting main list is very useful as it is and is sorted "manually" using Start date (task entry date) as your "tweak" parameter. You probably want to add some filters and tags etc of your own, if you perhaps want a waiting list, an errands list etc. Try it!

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 26, 2012
Posted by naruto137:
My primary reason for sorting tasks is to arrange what I am going to do at the current moment. Hence I have created a task called "Now" with subtasks manually ordered to which I am going to do first.

Excellent idea! Consider it stolen! :)
CharleneTX

Posted: Jan 27, 2012
I was greatful for the original posting about Michael Linenberger. I had never heard of him before. I downloaded the PDF, then ended up reading his other books. So far the system seems to be working for me. I'll reserve final judgement until I see how it works over a few months.
Scott

Posted: Jan 27, 2012
I've implemented the 1 Minute ToDo (with modifications) after reading the PDF and I like the simplicity of it. Haven't gone past that to his other work yet but am pleased so far. The start date filtering / freshness idea is really quite good.
timk

Posted: Feb 16, 2012
Well, I use the Franklin Covey A1,..A2... method. The way I do it is, I created three folders in ToodleDo:

A
B
C

...and then within each folder my tasks are priority Top, High, Medium, Low etc instead of 1-2-3 but it's the same effect. This works well for this long-time (15 years) Franklin Covey method user!

Don't forget to Plan Daily - if you aren't looking at your Daily Priorized Task list every day you're losing out on the whole benefit, which is to Get Things Done.

I organize sometimes by computer, sometimes use the Android App which helps me keep it with me, and I configured to receive an e-mail daily of the Hot List.

May you accomplish all of your goals! Cheers!

Timothy Kukler

PS there is much more to the Franklin Covey method than I'm typing here I encourage you to check it out, worked for me.

PPS - I am not a salesperson for/ not affiliated with them in any way. Just a regular guy and (now) a productive person.
jpcirone

Posted: Mar 01, 2012
I too am a converted and long time Franklin-Covey user. The system is great, but their software stinks so I gave up a few years ago and find Michael Lineberger's Outlook system.

Linenberger's system works great and saved me from task overload, but it lacked the Franklin Covey system touch.

I then did what timk did - I created the A B C and a D folder then used the Toodledo 0, 1, 2, 3 priorities.

This way, I get the effect of Franklin Covey sorting and best yet, I get the folder views to look at what is important that day (It works great on my Windows 7 phone App too - See Linenberger's site for that info on the To Do App!)
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 01, 2012
I've long wanted manual sorting. Now that I've switched to Appigo's Todo Online I finally have it. And because I use their iPhone app, the manual sort syncs between the two.

It probably doesn't seem like a big deal to some but it's bliss. I don't know how I lived without it. I just have to remind myself that I can do it because I occasionally forget, having used Toodledo for a few years.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.