ForumsTips & TricksGetting Active Status to show up in HotList

Getting Active Status to show up in HotList
mitra

Posted: Sep 16, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
The term "Active" in status is a bit ambiguous, the way I use it is for tasks that I have Started but not completed.

I really want these to show up in my HotList, as a prompt to go back and complete - for example I might have interrupted a task for a meeting, or to allow for a download, or do something urgent.

It is different from "next Action" which matches GTD methodology, and is tasks that haven't been Started.

The HotList configuration is strange, you don't get to pick which Status's show up, only whehter "next Action" does.

Any ideas?
Folke X

Posted: Sep 17, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
What many of us do is we create our own hotlists using Search - searches that we save and reuse. This is one of the really strong features of Toodledo.

For example, in my own custom hotlist for Today, I include due before tomorrow, next action, starred active, starred planning and a few other things. You could easily tweak the search to suit your particular system.

Then you could also have other similar hotlists (saved searches), for example one with a sligtly longer horizon.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2011.
Salgud

This is difficult for some, but you could use any status that you're not otherwise using for your "Active" tasks, or for "Next Action". IOW, if you're not using "Delegated" or "Planning", use one of those to mean "Active" to you.

You can choose to look at those labels that the TD crew created to be whatever you choose them to be. They're only labels, not reality.
Folke X

Yes, as Salgud says, you certainly can define things any way you like.

As for Next Action and Active, this is how I use them:

Next action = current action; already started or must be started immediately; I believe this is also the GTD sense

Active = perfectly doable, but I have decided to treat these as "spare" or next in line, until I have finished more pf the next actions.

I also make use of the other statuses, most of them probably roughly in the way they were intended, except Postponed, which I have hijacked for an entirely different purpose.
teriaross

Posted: Oct 09, 2011
Posted by mitra:
The term "Active" in status is a bit ambiguous, the way I use it is for tasks that I have Started but not completed.

... The HotList configuration is strange, you don't get to pick which Status's show up, only whehter "next Action" does.

Any ideas?

Mitra,
The Hotlist Setting let you configure "Next Action" as well as Priority and Due Date. Can't you accomplish your objective by using those criteria as well?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.