ForumsTips & TricksSubtask Due Date set Based on Due date of parent

Subtask Due Date set Based on Due date of parent
bkhmd

Posted: Nov 27, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
I would like to know if I can set due dates of subtask's based on the due date of the parent. for example:

Paernt task xyz --- Due November 30, 2011
subtask 1 Due 15 days prior to the Parent
subtask 2 Due 15 days after the parent

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Brian

Opps after reading I see it was not clear. I want to be able to set the due date of the parent and have the subtask due dates set automatically so I dont have to manually set due dates of each subtask. I know that the parent is due on a certain day and each subtask are due on set days before the parent or after the parent due date

This message was edited Nov 27, 2011.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 28, 2011
Posted by bkhmd:
I would like to know if I can set due dates of subtask's based on the due date of the parent. for example:

Paernt task xyz --- Due November 30, 2011
subtask 1 Due 15 days prior to the Parent
subtask 2 Due 15 days after the parent

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Brian

Opps after reading I see it was not clear. I want to be able to set the due date of the parent and have the subtask due dates set automatically so I dont have to manually set due dates of each subtask. I know that the parent is due on a certain day and each subtask are due on set days before the parent or after the parent due date

How could software automatically know that you want one task done 15 days before the due date and another done 15 days after?

As it is, when you create sub-tasks, they are automatically assigned a Due Date copied from the Parent, if the Parent has a Due Date. What more could software do?
tina.flauger

Posted: Nov 28, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
@Salgud:
"As it is, when you create sub-tasks, they are automatically assigned a Due Date copied from the Parent, if the Parent has a Due Date. What more could software do?"

It could let me define a relative date like "due date of parent minus x days".

Would be a good idea. If you change the due date of the parent (which for me naturally is the end date of the total bunch of child tasks) the due dates of the subtasks would automatically change too.

This would solve a problem I have: I can only make subtaks with a certain due date show up on the due date if I give the parent task the same due date and I have to do it manually.
Salgud

Posted: Nov 29, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
You can do that in M$ Project.
moultonne

Posted: Dec 14, 2011
I would like to see this feature as well. I would see it working the same as how a subtask can be repeated "with parent" so any changes to the parent due date would be reflected in the subtask as well. I would still need the functionality as it is today where I can set due dates for subtasks to be different than the parents due date.
j.eggen

Posted: Dec 19, 2011
I'd like the opposite.. so that if I change the due dates of subtasks (or event start dates) that the dates for the parent task would automatically change to cover the start/end date for all subtasks.
alisonparratt

Posted: Feb 02, 2012
Just like j.eggen, I would like to be able to set the due date of the parent task to be automatically the earliest due date of all the subtasks.
Salgud

Posted: Feb 02, 2012
Just curious, what is "earliest due date"?
kdesign007

Posted: Feb 21, 2012
I understand the functionality you are wanting either calculating based on the parent due date and the flexibility to move that out if needed and then to have all subtasks adjust accordingly.

Also it would be amazing to have the other feature mentioned with the ability to basically start a project, make a list of __# of sub tasks each with it's unique conservative projections of time to complete and have the algorithm estimate approximate date of completion but dynamically update as the project progresses and things fluctuate.

I also think it would be cool if those little robot vacuum cleaners actually thoroughly cleaned my carpet but it's not likely to work out that way. ;)
jirving

Posted: Jul 26, 2012
Score: 0 Reference
Actually, this seems like a pretty easy feature to implement. I've seen it in AddressTwo.com CRM, although that program is otherwise very week.

Primary Task is due on date X
SubTask 1 is due on date X + ___ days
Subtask 2 is due on date X + ___ Days

...and so on.

So all you have to do is create a primary task with a due date, then go into each subtask and put how many days AFTER or BEFORE that due date you want the subtask to be due.

You set this up one time for a regular set of repeatable tasks. Then when you need to assign it to a new project or customer, you copy that task template, give the primary a due date and the rest of the subtasks fall in line.

I don't recommend AddressTwo.com, but I would suggest that ToodleDo check out their "Task Series" underneath "Task Automation" and implement something similar. It is an awesome feature.
Salgud

Posted: Jul 27, 2012
Posted by jirving:
Actually, this seems like a pretty easy feature to implement.

They're all easy if you don't have to do them yourself. :)
Salgud

Posted: Jul 27, 2012
Posted by kdesign007:

Also it would be amazing to have the other feature mentioned with the ability to basically start a project, make a list of __# of sub tasks each with it's unique conservative projections of time to complete and have the algorithm estimate approximate date of completion but dynamically update as the project progresses and things fluctuate.

M$ Project, and other scheduling software, does that quite well.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.