ForumsTips & TricksToodledo on the desktop

Toodledo on the desktop
Doubted Edwardo

Posted: May 05, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
This may be an obvious feature for many but I was very happy when I found I could do this. Using Samurize, or Rainmeter, you can embed an RSS feed directly onto the desktop. Doing this with the Toodledo RSS hotlist feed gives you a constantly updated list of tasks that require attention, right on your desktop! The links can also be configured to point to whatever you want, even a program, so you could point the link at an app that lets you access Toodledo without launching a browser.
Anders

Posted: May 05, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Sounds interesting, but I don't understand what you mean about links pointing to wherever you want, apps that access Toodledo, etc. I get the embedded RSS part, and that sounds cool, but what do you mean by the rest?

Thanks,
Anders
Doubted Edwardo

Posted: May 06, 2009
Well, when configuring the RSS feed you have to manually set up the 'click' behaviour. The advantage of that is you can set it so when you click on the task it will launch a program, the toodledo AIR app for instance, if you didn't want to open the browser. Of course you can also set it to open the task in Toodledo on the web. Hope that helps.
Anders

Score: -1 Reference
Thanks for the info Edwardo, no doubt this sounds like a pretty cool desktop enhancement. If you don't mind, I have two further questions for you.

You mentioned a couple of different programs. Is there one you recommend?

How does this sort of thing impact your system performance? I tried, liked, and eventually deleted google desktop, yahoo widgets, and a couple of other somewhat similar tools because they just slowed me down to much, and that was before I was on a netbook.
Doubted Edwardo

I'm currently using Samurize as I can stop maximised programs covering it. I think the differences are generally minor but have a look here for a quick comparison of the two http://lifehacker.com/5087956/customize-your-own-killer-enigma-desktop (you'll need to scroll down a bit). In terms of memory my current config has a few system meters and the RSS feed and is using just under 3 MB's of memory.

Oh and it's Nick btw. Doubted Edwardo is, well, a long story but I still quite like using it.
Anders

Nick it is. Thanks again for taking the time to fill me in. I will give one of these apps a shot after investigating the differences a bit. BTW, my name is actually Anders.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.