ForumsTips & TricksToodleDo User Interface

ToodleDo User Interface
Content_1339022166

Posted: Jul 22, 2015
Score: 2 Reference
My employer pays for ToodleDo and I have used it now for more than 3 years. Out of 5 stars, I easily rate it a 3.5 or 4. I like it and rely on it, but it is not user friendly for my work environment.

I cannot use TD without "studying" it. Not the learning curve, but mentally sorting what doesn't sort as well in the app. This is not an "at-a-glance" app, and I think it should be. I start every morning leaning on one elbow, chin in hand, staring at the list, scrolling back and forth, looking at things I don't really NEED to in search of what I need to get my day rolling. (After lunch it can be much the same.)

How to make it friendlier for people with stacks of tasks?

First: Color-coding. I want to right-click on a task line and set it to a rainbow of shades I can use to see all the greens at one time, but not necessarily all together. It could be a sub-sort method. Our business is complex and tasks can be in more than two subsets of status and context.

Second: If the timer is running on a task, make that "recording" icon POP. Why do I have to squint and scroll to find the thing I was working on when I need to shift to another task on the fly? Some people might enjoy over-billing clients and are just fine with multiple tasks running at once, or tasks continuing to time "accidentally" after having switched to another, but some of us make enough money without needing to cheat our customers.

As it stands, I have to click to sort by one parameter, then click again to sort by another. Sorting ability is wonderful ... but it is also time-consuming. Our minds can do some measure of auto-sorting using our vision. If the task I was working on before the phone call was one of the orange ones, I glance at the 3 orange lines (remembering that it was the middle one) and rock it. This is especially helpful when one has multiple tasks dealing with the same client and all the lines start with "Acme Accelerated Assimilation Associates...".

More glance, less click, please.
TheGriff_2

Posted: Jul 28, 2015
Score: 0 Reference
I use a couple of different methods to get to what needs doing.

Saved searches are very powerful and I use many to help me drill down to context or location. I've started using the start date functionality more and add that to my searches to filter out the things I don't need to see. I wish TD had the option to hide items starting in the future from view without a search.

I've also started to use stars to notate most important items for the following day. I suppose using priority would be a viable option as well but either way it's nice to click hotlist and see a list of items that I deem most important along with anything due today.

I "study" my system once per day, mostly as my last "task" of the day. I review what's been thrown in my inbox, highlight those tasks I feel most important for tomorrow and generally clean up. I then use the hotlist and searches to run the day to day operation.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.