ForumsTips & TricksJP's Task Management Process with Toodledo - Part 4: Data Entry

JP's Task Management Process with Toodledo - Part 4: Data Entry
johnprince2112

Posted: Oct 16, 2015
Score: 1 Reference
Full disclosure I am no expert with Toodledo or Productivity Mgt Systems/Processes. I'm a long time consumer. It's amazing how much the Productivity tools themselves have driven processes, and as someone who has watched this discipline grow for 20+ years, the bars on both have been raised and met time and again

In my previous post (Part 2) I noted how imperative views are to me. However, to get views I want, I must use a system. Consequently, I divide my intents in to two areas:
1. I need to quickly enter information.
2. I need to quickly obtain that information in a cubed format on demand.

Thus the schema in which I enter it is different than how I view it, However, my requirement for both is that I only have to make one selection to do either (other than accessing the application). This means I begin my views at the top level, and drill in to each property.

DATA ENTRY
--The highest level for me is based on fewest instances. So...Contexts, I only have 7 of those. I've found they work best by covering what I "do" during the day Send emails, schedule meetings, strategy and articulate said strategies in a 360 fashion, etc.

--I essentially create three objects "do", "about" "with whom". Status types, Priority, etc are attributes to these objects.

--I defined a the 'stuff' I do for 10 days. My goal was to come up with a streamlined approach for data entry by finding the common "DO". "ABOUT" AND "WITH WHOM" classes.

Examples
1. Remind me to get with Carlton about our next OS upgrade event.
2. I have a great idea for a groovy dashboard to display during the deployment.

I then matrix ed the classes as such:
DO (Contexts): These are items such as send email, talk to, log ideas, inquire about, schedule meetings, etc

ABOUT (Folders): These were either a project, issue with software, or development strategy idea.

WITH WHOM (Tags): Mainly my colleagues, direct reports, my boss and a few of his key collegaues. Perhaps 10-15 people, total.
I get a little more granular as an example folders can be 'ABOUT' a project, or 'ABOUT' and area of focus. Thus folder names would be +Project, #AOF. Tags are delineated to and I use a schema to further drill down in my views.

USING THE EXAMPLES ABOVE:

So, in alignment with my one press requirement:
Example #1 above, I'd select "Meetings to Schedule" as the context and enter my task. Later during my review I apply additional objects, OS Upgrade folder and 'Carlton' tag.

In example #2 I would use "Improvement Ideas" as the context,. When I do my daily processing I'll easily remember what the task is 'ABOUT' and apply the "Next Deployment" as the folder and no tag.

Additionally, I'll apply other proprties such as Status and priority when I feel like it. The key is I can quickly enter in a way that allowse to quickly organize at a later time.

DATA GLEANING
In Part 4 I will discuss how I glean the data with a single press. One primer to note is I use use the three 'objects' in a different manner than how I use them for entry. Once I free'd myself from this it was eazy breazy! ;-)

This message was edited Oct 16, 2015.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.