ForumsTips & TricksContexts, Motivation and Character Strengths

Contexts, Motivation and Character Strengths
Axl.l

Posted: Apr 19, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
For a VERY long time, I've had serious issues with motivating myself to do all the mind-numbing, lifeforce-sucking, self discipline challenging tasks I've accumulated! They are all important to do, but (on my part) requires an ENORMOUS amount of self discipline (aka selfregulation ability/energy) to complete.

Now I've found, and still testing a new way of motivating myself!

There are some thing you need to know before this will work:

1. Knowledge of your Character Strengths (found here: https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/questionnaires/survey-character-strengths requires login).
When your using your strengths, your tasks will give you energy, and it will be a natural motivation to do the tasks. When using your strengths, you are exercising the very things that make you happy/content/state of flow!

2. Set up your contexts with a character strength, e.g. Read-review (6. Love of learning). In my case "Love of Learning" is my 6 strength, and by using my love of learning, I'll have a better life. All your contexts should have one or more attached Character Strength.

3. Do the tasks, and start feeling energized and happy!!

It works for me, and I hope to hear about your experience!!
TheGriff

Posted: Apr 22, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
What an interesting idea! I've been focusing on character strengths as part of a class I'm taking on the way to being an ADHD coach. I think I may try this but with the goals field instead of contexts.

Do you have character strengths for all of your tasks? I'd find it difficult to find a strength to associate with vacuuming or cleaning out the garage
Salgud

Posted: Apr 22, 2016
Score: 3 Reference
Posted by TheGriff:
What an interesting idea! I've been focusing on character strengths as part of a class I'm taking on the way to being an ADHD coach. I think I may try this but with the goals field instead of contexts.

Do you have character strengths for all of your tasks? I'd find it difficult to find a strength to associate with vacuuming or cleaning out the garage

I've found the answer to the vacuuming thing, at least for now. I bought an expensive new vacuum, and I'll feel bad if I don't use it every week. How long this will last...
CJD

Posted: Apr 24, 2016
Wow that was long, but enlightening.

Your Top Strength

Creativity, ingenuity, and originality - Thinking of new ways to do things is a crucial part of who you are. You are never content with doing something the conventional way if a better way is possible.

Your Second Strength - Humor and playfulness -

You like to laugh and tease. Bringing smiles to other people is important to you. You try to see the light side of all situations.

Strength #3- Curiosity and interest in the world - You are curious about everything. You are always asking questions, and you find all subjects and topics fascinating. You like exploration and discovery.

Strength #4- Love of learning - You love learning new things, whether in a class or on your own. You have always loved school, reading, and museums-anywhere and everywhere there is an opportunity to learn.
Axl.l

Posted: Apr 26, 2016
Great hearing from others!

TheGriff: I thought of the same thing as you, but decided it wasn't a good idea to start messing with my Goals -> Folders -> Tasks -> Subtasks hierarchy. I wish for a new hierarchy for contexts or Character Strenghts.

Salgud: Good suggestion. You can also use this : https://www.stickk.com/tour/3

CJD: Here are mine :-)
1. Fairness, equity, and justice
2. Leadership
3. Kindness and generosity
4. Judgment, critical thinking, and open-mindedness
5. Perspective wisdom

The theory of using Character Strengths is that the more you use them, the more you feel fullfilled. There are OBVIOUSLY other 'things' that are important too, but these are a good place to start!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.