ForumsTips & TricksSubtasks

Subtasks
tom.arnold

Posted: Mar 12, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hello. I try to use GTD, and I really enjoy Toodledo. The one suggestion I made to Jake was to consider not showing both the parent and the subtask in a list. Rather I would prefer just seeing the subtask, in that they are essentially one and the same. If I see them both, I consider them both actionable tasks, when in reality only one is. My workaround is to not put a due date on the parent (perhaps just in the note). I put due dates in the subtasks. This way I see only the subtasks, and not the parent in my hotlist.
vegheadjones

Posted: Mar 13, 2008
Hi,

Interesting workaround. I too (usually) don't make the parent task an actionable item, but I am not sure I would want the parent task to not show up on a list. My workaround has been to make a special context for parent tasks and a different context for next action subtasks.
Qrystal

Posted: Mar 18, 2008
Thank you Tom, your "workaround" is exactly what I needed!!!

I didn't want my main task to show up on the Hotlist either, because I'm using the parent as a sort of project "folder" for the pile of tasks.

However, my tasks repeat every week. With no due date on the parent, it stays out of the way while the tasks inside just keep cycling around, appearing on the Hotlist when they should.

The other thing I'm doing is numbering the tasks, because they can really only happen in a specific order:
1. pick up assignments to mark
2. mark assignments
3. return assignments to students
4. submit grades to prof

It's a simple enough task-of-several-parts that this works just fine.
John

Posted: Apr 21, 2008
Great idea for sequential tasks! I'm gonna use this. Thanks!

Posted by Qrystal:
Thank you Tom, your "workaround" is exactly what I needed!!!

I didn't want my main task to show up on the Hotlist either, because I'm using the parent as a sort of project "folder" for the pile of tasks.

However, my tasks repeat every week. With no due date on the parent, it stays out of the way while the tasks inside just keep cycling around, appearing on the Hotlist when they should.

The other thing I'm doing is numbering the tasks, because they can really only happen in a specific order:
1. pick up assignments to mark
2. mark assignments
3. return assignments to students
4. submit grades to prof

It's a simple enough task-of-several-parts that this works just fine.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.