ForumsTips & TricksPausing Tasks

Pausing Tasks
fizzyice

Posted: Jul 01, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Pausing tasks can be achieved by creating a saved search.
Add Tag -0 to a task and the task will disappear from that search for today and automatically re-appear tomorrow.
Add Tag -1 to a task and the task will disappear from that search for today and tomorrow then automatically re-appear the day after tomorrow.
Just don’t modify the tagged tasks whilst hidden and it should work correctly.
Dedicate the symbol - only to these tags.

I have been using this system for a long time on another task manager system where the credit goes to the person that originally created ‘sleeper tags’ years ago to act like start dates, this system can also be adapted for other uses such as review dates etc

My saved search with pausing tags looks similar to this:-

“ANY”

Start date is before tomorrow
AND Tag doesn’t contain -

OR
Due date is before tomorrow
AND Tag doesn’t contain -

OR
Tag is -0
AND date modified is not Today

OR
Tag is -1
AND date modified was not in the last 1 days

OR
Tag is -2
AND date modified was not in the last 2 days

OR
Tag is -3
AND date modified was not in the last 3 days

You can also pause by minutes and hours by adding to the saved search:-
Activate the timer of the task first then add the tag, the task will disappear and then re-appear once the stated time has elapsed.

For example:

OR
Tag is -30m
AND Timer is more than 0h 30m

OR
Tag is -1h
AND Timer is more than 1h 00m
Purveyor

Posted by fizzyice:
the credit goes to the person that originally created ‘sleeper tags’ years ago to act like start dates
Why create something to act like start dates when there already is a Start Date field and there's the ability to filter by that field?
Just don’t modify the tagged tasks whilst hidden and it should work correctly.
If you use Start Date instead of Tags and Date Modified, it will work correctly. What are the advantages of your system that offset the greater complexity and fragility? I guess there's the ability to hide a task for a predefined number of days by adding a Tag. Is that it?

This message was edited Jul 01, 2017.
fizzyice

...."I guess there's the ability to hide a task for a predefined number of days by adding a Tag. Is that it?"
Yes...hence the first line, "Pausing tasks can be achieved by creating a saved search."

I have not created it to act like start dates because this particular formula doesn’t do that, I’ve created it to pause/hide tasks for a specified amount of time.

I mentioned start dates because a similar formula was originally invented by someone on another task manager called ’remember the milk’ before it had start dates, I’ve changed the formula though to pause/hide tasks instead but didn’t want to take the credit for the original idea. Maybe I should not have mentioned start dates.

When using repeating tasks, I find that postponing/deferring/altering the start or due dates can sometimes affect the future dates of the task when it repeats again, so this formula also avoids the hassle of that.

Using the timer and tags is an idea of mine in response to someone who asked a question on here recently on how to pause tasks up to a particular time.

It’s just a simple idea that I thought I might share, and that someone might find useful.
Purveyor

Posted by fizzyice:
When using repeating tasks, I find that postponing/deferring/altering the start or due dates can sometimes affect the future dates of the task when it repeats again, so this formula also avoids the hassle of that.
Good point!
Thanks.
:-)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.