ForumsTips & TricksVlingo?

Vlingo?
bretthall

Posted: Sep 05, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Has anyone tried vlingo? I'm looking for a way to record/transcribe voicenotes on my blackberry (while driving or whatever) to toodledo notes.

I've tried reQall, (using the email to the secret toodledo address) which seems to almost work but there's too many clicks on the reQall blackberry interface to navigate. It doesn't recognize things sometimes, but maybe all applications are going to be like that?

I looked at dial2do, but haven't tried it yet. Vlingo looks pretty close.

I'm looking for something simpler than reQall, really all it has to do is record a note, transcribe, and automatically toodledo it.

Thanks for your ideas
Anders

I haven't heard of Vlingo. I used reQuall, but it wasn't for me. Most people who talk about these services in the forums here seem to use dial2do, or Jott. There are a number of good threads on the merits/shortcomings of those two if you search the forums. I'll have to check out this vlingo though. I have recently been thinking of giving this type of thing another try.
bretthall

Thanks Anders, I'll intensify my search of Vlingo and dial2do. I forgot to mention I've liked taskjot so far for toodledo synchronization on the blackberry. $25 was a little high, but having my updated, sync'ed toodledo on my phone without waiting for networks to load to view a webpage is worth it.
Karuna

Posted: Sep 06, 2009
taskjot? They charge $25 per what, week? Year? Month? guess I could look it up. sounds interesting
Anders

Taskjot is a third party task management application for BB that syncs with Toodledo. I don't have a BB, but I know this was under development for a long time, and it seems like a high quality product. Users who post in the forums seem to be very happy with it. They actually have two current versions, one $15, and the other $25. I believe they have another, higher tier version planned. The price is one time, just buy the app and it's yours. I don't know what their policy is for updates and charges though.
Here is their website: http://www.taskjot.com/
Anders

I looked into this Vlingo, and was all ready to try it out on my phone (it does look very cool, and is somewhat unique compared to things like reQall and dial2do), but they don't support my phone model :(
They only offer it for a handful of WM phones.
Karuna

So it's a non-entity for iphone users I guess.
Karuna

Taskjot, that is.
Anders

Yes, TaskJot is only available for Blackberry devices. However, iPhone users are actually in a pretty enviable position when it comes to taking their Toodledo tasks on the go. Toodledo actually makes an iPhone app: http://www.toodledo.com/info/iphone.php
And in addition to the official app, there are several third party apps that sync with Toodledo including Action Lists, LifeFocus, Pocket Informant, Task PRO, Todo, and Ultimate Todos. And there is also an app called Notebook that syncs with the Toodledo Notebook.

Edit: keep in mind, while the Toodledo app supports just about all the features of the website except collaboration and the Notebook, the other apps have different sets of features and fields that they sync with Toodledo (example: only a few support subtasks). So look into any app to make sure it has what you need before buying it.

This message was edited Sep 06, 2009.
kmorrison

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
There is a Vlingo version for iPod.

I use the Vlingo Pro version on my Blackberry Storm. I have a contact set up called 'Getting' (for Getting Things Done). This sends to Toodledo (it was confused by toodledo). I can say 'send an email to Getting', and then say 'subject' with the task title. It recognizes over 50% accurately. The problems I have is setting up contexts in the Subject since I need to enter '@@' in order for Toodledo to recognize it. I usually get send the subject without the context, and then enter it later.
Anders

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Yes, Vlingo has an iPhone version, but it is all but useless for a 1st gen. iPod Touch like mine which has no mic. It might work on a 2nd gen. iPod minus the phone functions of course. I signed up for them to email me if they ever have an HTC Touch Pro compatible version. It does look like a pretty cool product. In addition to the features that are similar to what apps like dial2do can do, Vlingo can be used to operate all kinds of apps on WM, and probably BB too, though I imagine that sort of thing is probably impossible on iPhone due to Apple's way of locking everything down and limiting what 3rd party apps can do.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.