ForumsTips & TricksReorder subtasks

Reorder subtasks
jeffkossack

Posted: Oct 09, 2009
Score: 4 Reference
Is there a way to manually reorder subtasks? I would like to be able to drag and drop them in any order I feel is best.
Anders

Posted: Oct 09, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
No. This is one of the most popular feature requests though. There are tricks you can use like putting a number before the title of each subtask, or using tags to order, but you can't just drag them around.
Proximo

Posted: Oct 12, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I don't know why this would be so hard to implement.

You currently can drag a task into another task and it creates a Project/subtask.

So why is it so hard to allow dragging of subtask?

As popular as this request is, you would think that all focus would be in doing this by now.
pvaughn

Posted: Oct 19, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
I'll second the request for drag and drop reordering of subtasks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 20, 2009
We are working on it :)
Gummi

Posted: Oct 23, 2009
Posted by Toodledo:
We are working on it :)

Computer imagined high-five! Just remember to make it awesome. :)
kafene

Posted: Oct 24, 2009
This is why I had to stop using Toodledo. I really wanted it to be able to handle projects like Things, but I at least needed the option to manually reorder tasks. Just checking in. I guess I'll have to keep waiting :-/ It'll be great once it comes.
imonsei

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
you stopped using toodledo for something you could quickly make a little hack for until they had it implemented?
(set tag to a number according to it's order and sort by tag as secondary sort)
for shaaaame :D
Proximo

Posted: Oct 26, 2009
Posted by imonsei:
you stopped using toodledo for something you could quickly make a little hack for until they had it implemented?
(set tag to a number according to it's order and sort by tag as secondary sort)
for shaaaame :D

I currently use a bunch of hacks for things that don't work they way they should or the way I hoped.

The question is, how long are we willing to live with hacks?

Toodledo is by far the best option for me right now and I can only hope it evolves from here to many of the things the users are asking for. I have no problems using hacks but not as a long term solution either. At some point, I want the functionality to be implemented.

The worst thing is not knowing when they are coming and in what order. So it keeps me looking for a different solution all the time.
teknia micro

Posted: Oct 30, 2009
I would really appreciate the ability to order my sub tasks too. In the mean time I will number my ToDo tasks and use a lower case letter for sub tasks a, b, c etc

I've found that the learning curve is part of my adoption process and that these forums provide some really valuable assistance. The tone here is welcoming and I hope I can help others as I learn more organization tricks from this community.
Kelly Regan

Posted: Nov 03, 2009
New user here....
I use the following setup for tasks and subtasks.

A1- Task One
a1- sub task one
a2- sub task two
a3- sub task three
b1- other task one
b2- other task two

B1- Task Two
a1- sub task one
imonsei

Posted: Nov 04, 2009
@Proximo
the thing is with todo software, is that everyone uses it differently, so it's close to impossible to make an easy to use interface that caters to all people.

That's why we need hacks.
Actually it's also why i like hacks, cause it enables us to get the functionality we want, without waiting 6-12 months for the feature to be made officially, bug tested, and ready for consumers, if there's enough a demand for it, to start with.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 04, 2009
Posted by imonsei:
@Proximo
the thing is with todo software, is that everyone uses it differently, so it's close to impossible to make an easy to use interface that caters to all people.

That's why we need hacks.
Actually it's also why i like hacks, cause it enables us to get the functionality we want, without waiting 6-12 months for the feature to be made officially, bug tested, and ready for consumers, if there's enough a demand for it, to start with.

imonsei,

I agree with you 100%. Because of Toodledo's openess and lack of focus in any particular productivity system, it's very difficult if not impossible to make certain changes without considering the entire user base as a whole.

This is one of Toodledo strengths and unfortunately it's biggest weakness.

GTDer's expect certain functionality while other users that adopted different productivity systems expect other things.

This is why I dreamed up the idea of having Toodledo use Templates for different Productivity Systems and also have an open customized option. This would be extremely difficult to do and no one has tried it that I know about.

It would require the GUI to change completely based on the Template (Productivity System) you choose.

I have a lot of great ideas in my head and this is why I am learning Programming now. My background is in Mechanical Engineering because I like to invent things or design things. Now I have a burn to do the same with software and specifically Web Applications.

So far I can make a text box say "Hello, World" so I have a long way to go in this area. :-)

This message was edited Nov 04, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.