ForumsTips & TricksRepeating tasks

Repeating tasks
epetrack

Posted: Jul 20, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
I'm new here, so bear with me. I set up a daily repeating task. When I check it off as completed today, I'd expect it to then show up as a new task (uncompleted) for tomorrow. Am I missing something? Can it be configured to do this?

Thanks--
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 21, 2008
Yes, it should be doing that. A daily repeating task completed today will get rescheduled for tomorrow.

Is that not working for you?
epetrack

Thanks... just looked a bit more closely and re-tested it. It *is* working correctly if just using Toodledo. However.... I bought the ToDo app for the iPhone, which syncs with Toodledo. Overall, this works very well. However, it seems that if I create a daily repeating task in Toodledo, sycn with iPhone, and then check off (complete) the task on the iPhone, and resync, it now *disappears* from Toodledo, instead of showing up there the next day. And it does not appear on the Iphone at all either.

Am I missing something, or is this just not working right with the sync for repeating tasks? Thanks-
Jake

Toodledo Founder
While Toodledo.com fully supports repeating tasks, the To Do application for the iPhone does not. If you want this feature, I encourage you to contact the developers of that application. They can be found here: http://www.appigo.com/
epetrack

Will do.
However, I figured that once I marked it "completed" on their iphone app, and it synced with Toodledo, that toodledo would then also see it as "completed" (as it does with non-repeating tasks), and then automatically move a daily task to the next day in Toodledo. A second sync would theoretically then cause that update to sync back to the iphone app, *not* requiring native support on the iphone app.

Any thought as to why that wouldn't happen? Thanks-
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Because a third-party application may want to treat repeating tasks differently from how we treat them, the third party applications are responsible for rescheduling repeating tasks themselves. We may make this an option in a future version of our API.
epetrack

ok- thanks. I think the workaround for this until this is fixed is simply to check completed tasks ONLY on Toodledo itself. This will then move the repeated task to the next correct date, and then iPhone can sync it in.
cantalinik

Posted: Jul 23, 2008
yes this is thread is what i was looking for...

at first i thought the repeating task problem was Appigo's todo apps fault for the non recurring problem described in this thread, but im having the same problem with outlooks recurring tasks. i dont know if that one is just the syncing software or what but i have outlook, toodledo, and ToDo synchronized and the only way they stay synchronized is if I change and check off recurring tasks through Toodledo. Something goes wrong with both outlook and ToDo if i check something off there. Im not sure where the problem lies.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 23, 2008
The problem is that the end application that you are using (Outlook, ToDo or Toodledo.com) is the one that is responsible for rescheduling repeating tasks.

Right now, the Outlook sync app and the ToDo iPhone app do not reschedule repeating tasks, although I am sure that this will be improved when the developers of those apps release updates.
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 24, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
The problem is that the end application that you are using (Outlook, ToDo or Toodledo.com) is the one that is responsible for rescheduling repeating tasks.

Right now, the Outlook sync app and the ToDo iPhone app do not reschedule repeating tasks, although I am sure that this will be improved when the developers of those apps release updates.

Really? With Outlook too? I doubt it. Spent time with the programmers on MSDN and they still insist that Office users for the most part don't use tasks - so they don't bother doing much with them either. Sad, really.

Jim
wzachmann

Posted: Jul 27, 2008
Posted by epetrack:
ok- thanks. I think the workaround for this until this is fixed is simply to check completed tasks ONLY on Toodledo itself. This will then move the repeated task to the next correct date, and then iPhone can sync it in.

Way I handle this is to type a [R] in front of any repeating ToDo text to insure that in the iPhone I do not mark as done- otherwise I loose the repeat functionality if I mark it done in Appigo It works for me.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008.
microsesame

Posted: Apr 25, 2009
i bought toodledo app for my ipod,same thing happend.Repeating tasks didn't work!
Anders

Posted: Apr 25, 2009
Posted by microsesame:
i bought toodledo app for my ipod,same thing happend.Repeating tasks didn't work!

Repeating tasks are working for me on the iPod. Are you sure you have the official Toodledo app?
dpbrick

Posted: May 19, 2009
Posted by epetrack:
I'm new here, so bear with me. I set up a daily repeating task. When I check it off as completed today, I'd expect it to then show up as a new task (uncompleted) for tomorrow. Am I missing something? Can it be configured to do this?

Thanks--

I guess this is the way Toodledo works repeating tasks by design. IMHO, though, this is not the best way to make them work when "Repeat by Due Date" has been selected. Sometimes repeated tasks get overlooked in the shuffle (life happens) and don't get completed before the next repeat due date. In this case,with the current strategy, they will never get rescheduled. That's not good!

A better strategy would be to have the app automatically schedule the next repeat on the current task's due date, regardless of whether the current task is completed.
Anders

Posted: May 19, 2009
I'm not sure if I understand the sort of situation you are referring to, but if you fail to complete a recurring task before its due date, as long as it is not optional (?), the task will simply become overdue. When you complete the overdue task, the new occurrence will still be generated. If the overdue task is already past the due date of the next occurrence, then you will get another overdue task before the next upcoming occurrence will appear (Edit: I think, but maybe it just skips to the next upcoming version), but if the task is really than non-crucial it should probably be an optional task anyway. If you simply want the original occurrence to disappear once it is passed so you can focus on the next one, use the "?" optional due date modifier.

This message was edited May 19, 2009.
Linden

Posted: May 25, 2009
Hmm. It appears that this poster was using an app, rather than Toodledo directly, which Toodledo staff are saying would possibly treat repeating tasks differently.

When I have a non-crucial daily-repeating task (that may often become overdue), I have it repeat from completion date. This prevents the new repeated task from starting out as overdue.

Your solution of the optional (?) marker brought a question to mind. If I've set an optional task to repeat daily and miss a day, does it become permanently removed, or is the overdue task removed and the repeat task created for the next day? That would be even better than my existing solution!
If you use the optional (?) marker, will it set up the repeat task if it disappears?
Anders

Posted: May 25, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Linden:
If I've set an optional task to repeat daily and miss a day, does it become permanently removed, or is the overdue task removed and the repeat task created for the next day?

The optional task is removed once the due date passes, and the next occurrence is automatically generated in that scenario.

If you use the optional (?) marker, will it set up the repeat task if it disappears?

Yes, that is why it is so cool. :)
Linden

Posted: May 28, 2009
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by Anders:
Posted by Linden:

Yes, that is why it is so cool. :)

I second that "cool" judgement in this case. I'll be updating a few of my tasks accordingly, as well! Thanks for highlighting this feature. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.