ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
tvchris

Posted: Jan 22, 2010
Score: 18 Reference
I have to say I love toodledo. At least the functionality.

But for the love of GOD, please listen to people and hire a UI designer. I just can't do it anymore. I've used every userstyle out there and it's still the same. Like putting a dress on a pig.

I am a paying member, so you have me another year. But I am am also a paying member over at RTM, and despite the lack of subtasks, I enjoy RTM much better because the UI is clean and useable.

Please take the advice of your critics. If TD could clean up its UI, it would be HANDS DOWN the best GTD online software on the market.
sbgmacb

Posted: Jan 24, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I have to second this comment. I use tooledo thru a third party app on my iTocuh. I like being able to type with a keyboard and move items into e-mails at work, but I cringe every time I think about going to the web site. I am a paying member so that subtasks will work from my itouch app, but I wish I wanted to use the web site. I'll be looking at my options when my years membership is up. Maybe someone else will have their integration my my itouch app worked OK and have a usable UI..
Jrod

Posted: Jan 26, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Vin Thomas: dust off your resume! :)
Andrew

Posted: Jan 30, 2010
This should be posted in the questions forum. It would get so much more attention.
PSzobar

Posted: Jan 31, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I have to agree. I'm a new user, as of yesterday, and this UI makes me cringe. I'm testing this program for a week to see if I can deal with it -- but blergh. If I can find a less cringe-worthy option with the same functionality, I'm going to ditch toodledo.
Andrew

Posted: Feb 01, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Posted by PSzobar:
I have to agree. I'm a new user, as of yesterday, and this UI makes me cringe. I'm testing this program for a week to see if I can deal with it -- but blergh. If I can find a less cringe-worthy option with the same functionality, I'm going to ditch toodledo.

That's what I thought as I was comparing it to Things and Remember the Milk, but I learned to get used to the interface because it really is quite powerful and gives you so many more options than either of the two I mentioned. PLUS, it's cheaper.
PeterW 

I'd suggest you give it some more time. I've found Toodledo to be deceptively powerful. And in my opinion, the interface is very functional.
Vin Thomas

Posted by PSzobar:

Try this: http://bit.ly/toodledoish

It's not a complete fix, but it helps.
Bartosz Gajek

Posted: Feb 02, 2010
I would have to agree: UI is total crap, the rest is superb

room for improvement?
tim

Posted: Feb 03, 2010
Im a new user, just testing out a pro subscription today.
I must say, it does look really bad on teh website, and almost put me off.
Im coming from Cultured Code's Things on teh Mac which is the oppisite, loks fantastic, but has very slow development with poor syncing.

Getitdoneapp.com or even remeberthe milk look better, even the iphone app looks better.

Please redo the UI, it looks like its from the 90s!
Proximo

Score: 3 Reference
Don't get off track here people. This post has nothing to do with the functionality of Toodledo. tvchris made it clear that the functionality and features are the best of any other service.

This topic is about the UI and I don't care how long you use something, it does not make the UI better.

That's like saying... "Mary an ugly woman and eventually she will look beautiful" WRONG. She is still Ugly but you have gotten used to her. Same goes for a man.

My point is that every time someone mentions how the UI for Toodledo is far behind the competitors, someone always wants to defend it by talking about it's features.

We know Toodledo has the best features. But it's still Ugly. It's not as enjoyable to use because the UI is so bad. If feels like a spreadsheet online rather than an application.

In Jake's defense, he already mentioned that he is a coder and not a UI Designer. I would say Jake is a great coder bacause Toodledo has so many powerful features, but is there a UI Designer out there willing to do this for free?

Probably not.

I am a Designer but work with 3D Design and Animation. I am currently learning Web Design and Web Development, but I am a rookie at best. I would honestly consider helping Jake out for free but I would probably destroy everything at this point.

I do agree the UI needs to be completely redone to be more user friendly, visually pleasing and fun to use.

Anyone willing to do this as a free project that actually has the proper skill's?
PeterW 

@Proximo - are you talking about the site's colours, fonts, and placement, size and layout of buttons/folders etc? I.e. purely the way it looks rather than the way it works?

I just don't have that much of a problem with how Toodledo looks. I think the design works well, is very functional and gives me what I need. I use some of Vin's Stylish scripts in FF to change fonts/colours from time to time and sometimes switch back to the default just for a change of scenery.

I'm not sure what I am missing. I started using computers back at MS-DOS 3.3 so I've seen plenty of ugly screens. I don't think Toodledo is one of them.
ataffel

Posted: Feb 04, 2010
Score: 2 Reference
Two things to remember:

1. If your have a 10 key piano it's very easy to learn how to play.

2. Sometimes computer programs and UI's require a period of desensitization. Some people call it learning curve.

(no disrespect intended)

I like Toodledo pretty well. Like anything though, it could be improved, which IMO is constantly being done. :)
Proximo

Posted by PeterW:
@Proximo - are you talking about the site's colours, fonts, and placement, size and layout of buttons/folders etc? I.e. purely the way it looks rather than the way it works?

I just don't have that much of a problem with how Toodledo looks. I think the design works well, is very functional and gives me what I need. I use some of Vin's Stylish scripts in FF to change fonts/colours from time to time and sometimes switch back to the default just for a change of scenery.

I'm not sure what I am missing. I started using computers back at MS-DOS 3.3 so I've seen plenty of ugly screens. I don't think Toodledo is one of them.

I use Vin's scripts as well and it helps to make Toodledo look better, but I am talking about a UI Overhaul.

Toodledo is powerful but the UI Experience is clunky and falls short of many other similar apps. Just look at Nozbe for an example. Very good UI with a nice layout. When you drag things, they look, feel and act like a normal desktop application with smooth animations. Reorder a sub-task and see how nice it flows. Even Vitalist does this.

What many of us are asking for is a UI Redesign that makes Toodledo look beautiful, easy to use and fun.

Just think about how many hidden options Toodledo currently has. Hover over the checkbox or hand icon for a good example. Why is that? It's because the UI is not optimized very well for the functionality found in Toodledo.

It needs an Overhaul to make it easy to use and fun. A new user would have a hard time figuring out these functions unless the veterans tell them how to do it. That is not a good UI.

Toodledo is by far the best there is right now. It's powerful and functional. Now let's make it easy to use and fun to work with.

This is just my opinion but I know many feel the same.

I think highly of Toodledo and have already directed several paid users to the service. Just like anything else, eventually you need a new coat of paint.
PeterW 

Fair enough. I certainly won't complain about any improvements that are made!
Surcy Peoples

Posted: Feb 05, 2010
I have used and have paid memeberships to Nozbe, RTM, Toodledo, Vitalist and a few others and no doubt Toodledo has one of, if not, the worst UI. Nozbe is very friendly to use and is very close to being my product of choice but development is slow and lack of solid Iphone app kills it for me. Vitalist is dead. After comparing Toodledo and RTM each over a couple of weeks I came to the following conclusion. I am better organized with Toodledo but I get more done with RTM. My opinion is that I worked the system quicker and more frequently in RTM because of the UI. If Toodledo would update/upgrade the UI to have a friendly UI it would be my tool of choice. Until then its back to RTM and molding it to fit my system. (After all IMO its all about getting things done not necessarily "Getting Things Done".
JCLATWORK

Posted: Feb 06, 2010
I probably have a similar story to many users of Toodledo.

I compared Toodledo and RTM with free accounts for a few months, then paid for an account at RTM because it felt better--just like I feel better getting much more accomplished on my Mac at home than my PC at work. Toodledo frankly put me off because it did not look and feel like a modern product. I did, however, keep coming back to try out Toodledo. I had to keep from cringing and try out all of Vin's styles (I still use Toodledoish), and in the end I decided Toodledo was my home because it has the best features of any of the sites I've seen. BUT I still spend so much time wishing it looked better!

My wife is an entrepreneur, so I get that it may not be immediately possible, but I agree with many here that hiring a UI designer when Toodledo can afford it would be a leap forward. Toodledo is awesome, but it could attract more users with a sleeker design. I've said it elsewhere on the forums, but with a nice design and Google Gears, there would be no reason for me to look at any of the pretty Mac desktop GTD apps. Toodledo would then have it all!
Proximo

Posted: Feb 09, 2010
I love what Toodledo does for me. I have a Web Application that has more features and capabilities than anything else.

I have an iPhone app that links me to that functionality.

I love what Toodledo does for me, but I hate looking at it. The iPhone is a better experience overall but I still think there is far too much information on the iPhone making it appear complicated.
PeterW 

I've got both Appigo Todo and Toodledo on my iPhone and at present, much prefer using Todo due to the UI.

However the more I play with Toodledo, the more I realise it is quite powerful, moreso that Todo. Toodledo iPhone really needs a makeover so that it is easier to use. I'd love to see a little bit of colour too.
drgopoos

+ million times
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.