ForumsTips & TricksPlease hire a UI Designer

Please hire a UI Designer
gabe_1297998692

Posted: Feb 20, 2011
Score: 3 Reference
The clarity of this enhancement should be part of the standard interface, perhaps with a few minor tweaks. My enthusiasm is not about the bling: The horizontal/vertical design menu is so much clearer and better than the stock interface.

Thanks!

Posted by twangus:
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely, despite having been working on it only a few days. I'm also of the thinking that Toodledo needs a ground-up UI overhaul, and I tried to make bigger changes with this style than I've seen in most of the other ones. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/40980
jackiemathys

Posted: Feb 21, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I'm a partner in a creative staffing agency in Portland, OR. UX/UI designers are our specialty.

I see you're currently advertising for a Javascript Developer/Interaction Designer. That may be your problem right there. Those are two different people.

You need someone coming from a graphics background to improve the look and feel of your site. Devs are not designers. They may be information architects, but they're not the ones who will make the site something we users clamor to get to every morning.

You have my email, Toodledoians. Let's do this.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2011.
javierplumey

Posted: Feb 25, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I just took a look at both ToDo's beta app and Nirvana and all I have to say is: wow!

If it weren't for the fact that PocketInformant already sync with ToodleDo, I might be outta here.

I love how ToDo shows a "project" that has subtasks. And the overall interface of Nirvana is, well, nirvana. Too bad they don't sync with ToodleDo.
PeterW 

Posted: Feb 26, 2011
Score: 1 Reference
At the moment, Nirvana doesn't sync with anything. They don't have a mobile app and there is no API yet so all you can is use their mobile browser version (which is quite good).
AJS

Posted: Mar 01, 2011
I've been using Gqueues for the last week or so despite it not having a mobile app and while it's certainly not as comprehensive as Toodledo, I must admit coming back to the TD UI was a rude shock. Got to say that the Gqueues mobile browser version works surprisingly well but I miss things like start date.
vespagrrl

Posted: Apr 11, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Would love to have support for: 1) font/display personalization; 2) color support (i.e. folders). Dunno if that would help when synching with iCal, but that's ultimately my goal.

It is so ugly. So, so ugly. It depresses me to look at it. Would it be so hard to fancy it up a bit?

Please!
vihendi

Posted: Apr 14, 2011
I think it could be prettier, however, this is easy to solve with a Greasemonkey userstyle.

If there is an overhaul planned, one could think about implementing a true vertical and horizontal navigation that is independent from one another. Most userstyle-solutions show a dependent vertical bar. I click on tags, then vertically all my tags appear.

It would increase functionality if I could e.g. chose my vertical bar, e.g. Priority or Context or Status, within preferences. So I could see e.g. Folders horizontally and at the same time filter for Status vertically within a Folder.

(If someone suggested this before, this should have been just a +1 ;-) )
emarz

Posted: Apr 17, 2011
I love Toodledo and it has all the features one can expect from a GTD app, however I do agree the UI and the website in general is really outdated and needs to be brought up to date. There are really nice looking apps out there such as Nirvana and Flow, but they're eaither really overpriced and/or they lack many of Toodledo features.

I think in general it should be fairly easy for the Toodledo team to update, the website just needs some CSS and someone with good taste and a good eye for design. As pointed out by several other people the userstyles site has some nice ones themes, I particularly like the Mac OSX theme, but it does lack icons which would give visual cues to the user, and therefore making it more effective and easier to navigate.

Just my two cents.
aquinter

Posted: May 01, 2011
Posted by gabe_1297998692:
The clarity of this enhancement should be part of the standard interface, perhaps with a few minor tweaks. My enthusiasm is not about the bling: The horizontal/vertical design menu is so much clearer and better than the stock interface.

Thanks!

Posted by twangus:
By the way, I just created a new style that I think has been coming along quite nicely, despite having been working on it only a few days. I'm also of the thinking that Toodledo needs a ground-up UI overhaul, and I tried to make bigger changes with this style than I've seen in most of the other ones. Please check it out and let me know what you think!

http://userstyles.org/styles/40980
simon

Posted: May 01, 2011
It's interesting to me to read the UI comments because obviously, I agree (who wouldn't?). I have tried, and often paid for, all of the obvious alternatives but I always come back to Toodledo. Over the years I have analysed this pattern and realised that I go looking for something better when I'm bored and obviously that coincides with an ebb in the workflow. When life gets a little easier I go looking. However, as soon as I have that feeling of the work piling up and I need a trusted system that requires absolutely no effort and won't get in the way or force me to work in a way that feels unnatural, guess what, I'm back to Toodledo. I can email tasks, use a smartphone, speak them (Dial2Do), etc. I use all sorts of hybrid systems from GTD to Covey to simple lists but never, never, never does something slip through. It's always there. So, like everyone here, I'm not crazy about the UI but with the help of Stylish and a few talented people I have it looking ok and it works.
Mark.M

Posted: May 03, 2011
Are you guys checking out Stylish? I have found some great ui mods that allow me to enjoy the Toddledo environment a lot more.

IF you not aware, go to userstyles.org for dozens of variations.
verdii

Posted: May 27, 2011
Score: 0 Reference
I agree with having a UI overhaul. When this is done, I promide to get two pro subscriptions. One for me, one for my wife. If I show her this UI, she will not use it.
Luizhrocha

Posted: Nov 08, 2011
Score: 2 Reference
I really don't like the UI. One more to vote for a fresh design.
Andrew A

LOL... this is the new UI! #threadsthatneverdie
Frank Reimann

WTF?!? I usually use Toodledo on my iPad - and now I come on here to do a SIMPLE thing - edit a task to add an alarm to it, and I can't F'ing figure it out how to do it without having to add a new column to my Main View - which I DON'T WANT.

I JUST WANT TO EDIT THIS ONE TASK IN THIS ONE DETAIL - Well, I have had it. My Pro Subscription will not be renewed next year.

This is just so incomprehensibly stupid!
Salgud

Posted: Nov 09, 2011
Posted by Sasha von Stahl:
This is just so incomprehensibly stupid!

I agree!;)
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 03, 2011
sure - would like manual sort and drag/drop ...

And, I agree that there is still a problem in design. I am guessing that it comes from the prospective of what question the Toodledo program is trying to answer.

I think the the question that is being answered wonderfully is 'what do I do next?'. I think the question being missed is 'what data entry would allow me the clearest mind?'.

Figuring out what tasks to add in for the user is a thinking proposition. When our schedule is slammed and we open up Toodledo with a mental checklist of what what tasks we need to add it is easy. When we have more time on our hands and open up Toodledo because we want to make progress and figure out what kinds of things we could be working on - the brain storming end of things - then we lose our creative focus because the interface is set up review and entry / not focus and thinking (in that way). I hope this makes sense ;)

I would suggest the following ...

-Allow the user to edit in the grid or open a window for viewing / editing of a task. This lets the user focus on the task at hand. I actually prefer creating tasks on my phone because it lets me focus.

-Allow fields to be used, but not visible in the grid. The field would be there in the individual view.

-And of course add manual sorting (and the ability to revert to how it was manually sorted - so the manual sort is saved 'behind the scenes') with drag and drop. This isn't for function - this is a right brain / left brain kind of thing. It can be easier to think creatively when dragging and dropping than typing - and that zen state of awareness is what I think users are searching for when they say 'I love the function of Toodledo but I keep looking elsewhere'.

It isn't about the fonts / colors / layout (that is darn pretty), it is about the focus (when trying to think, that is darn cluttered).

I hope this is of some help,
Roger
PeterW 

Posted: Dec 03, 2011
darkroom-devil:

Try running Toodledo in "Multi-line mode" instead of the default grid mode. It doesn't look the way it sounds, i.e. you only see a single line for each task. All it displays is the task name and the primary sort field you have for that view, plus the star field. It's much more minimalistic and therefore provides you with the focus you desire without the clutter.

To display the other fields for a task, simply click on a drop-down arrow and the task will expand to display across a few additional lines. You can keep the browser window smaller in this mode without needing to scroll left/right too.
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 05, 2011
PeterW,

Thanks, I have actually been doing that :) ...

I was trying to communicate the idea that when work is done it becomes a reflection of the workers. Tell a puzzle master you want to get from A to B and I bet you don't get a straight line :). Tell a programmer you want a to do program and the focus is going to be around what it can do. Give it to a designer and it is the user experience. Usually the creative person (in the crazy creative way, not the fix it problem solving way) is usually less technical. A strength in one area creates a weakness in another - normal human stuff :) ... and why most companies attract just the customers that reflect their company no matter how much they think they are 'competing'.

I just wanted to throw into the mix that I think that having a vision for what to do comes from talking about the why and questioning perspectives ... so just starting that conversation to see if it could help :)

All the best,
Roger

This message was edited Dec 05, 2011.
darkroom-devil

Posted: Dec 05, 2011
In full disclosure :) I checked out Toodledo, and trialed Nozbe along with many others. I purchased Nozbe. I came back to looking at Toodledo because I was frustrated with the actual ToDo capabilities of Nozbe. Nozbe has more feature bells and whistles, but way less core capability in the actual ToDo area. So, I am back looking to see how I get along with Toodledo (about a week now) :) If I stay it will be as a paid user - our whole motivation in searching for a ToDo app is for sharing with my business partner ... brainstorming what we want to do, deciding on what needs to be done and how we do it. An easy example is there is a reminder to pay sales tax and a back up person to do it. :)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.