ForumsTips & TricksDragon Dictation

Dragon Dictation
mossman4x4

Posted: Jan 26, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Great FREE app for iPhone users. Proximo has mentioned this in another thread but I feel it deserves it's own. Plus I think there may have been some updates since the last comments.

Dragon will record you and transcribe to text which you can then email, text, or copy to clip board. With Toodledo and Evernote set up in my contacts notes or tasks are added easily even when I'm driving or other times when I can't write them down. If you haven't seen this it is worth a look.
gjblair

Posted: Feb 01, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
I looked into this over the weekend. As I suspected, it appears that your voice item is transferred to a server, along with possibly many other items from your iPhone, for 'transcription'.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 03, 2010
Dragon Dictation works great and I use it all the time.

Dragon Search is also great. Speak your search term and it will allow you to switch from Google, Wikipedia, Twitter, Youtube and iTunes with the search result intact.

This message was edited Feb 03, 2010.
gjblair

Posted: Feb 03, 2010
It may be great functionality, but it may come at a security price too high for some people. Pay your dues and take your chances, so to speak.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 04, 2010
Posted by gjblair:
It may be great functionality, but it may come at a security price too high for some people. Pay your dues and take your chances, so to speak.

I guess I am lost here. How is having my voice transcribed in order to send an email or text message a security risk?
mossman4x4

Posted: Feb 08, 2010
When I'm putting things in like, "email note to Emily" security isn't a big concern. I could see an issue though if there was sensitive info involved. I was not aware that the speech went to a server and then back. Nuance is a publicly traded co though NUAN so it should be fairly easy to research them.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 09, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I guess I am one of those weird people who are not paranoid by things like this. I do 90% of my computing in the Cloud already.

The only time I am scared is when I am Flying some where and the plane goes through the clouds. I just hope that's not the cloud with my information in it. :-)
thayes

Posted: Feb 12, 2010
"With Toodledo and Evernote set up in my contacts..."

Can you tell me how to do this? I'm a newbie to Toodledo. I tried Evernote last year but it was so slow I finally gave up. Plus, the UI on a PC sucked.
mossman4x4

Posted: Feb 16, 2010
just look in your profile settings and find or establish the option. it will generate the address for you and then you just add it to your contacts, voila. you can even add contexts, status, etc i believe but i'm not the one to explain that. i simply mail them to my "inbox" and then sort it out from there on my pc/laptop.
Proximo

Posted: Feb 17, 2010
Posted by mossman4x4:
just look in your profile settings and find or establish the option. it will generate the address for you and then you just add it to your contacts, voila. you can even add contexts, status, etc i believe but i'm not the one to explain that. i simply mail them to my "inbox" and then sort it out from there on my pc/laptop.

I do the same. I always send to my inbox for processing later. What I want from my email forwards is a quick mind dump into my Toodledo. With the iPhone, I dumb everything in my brain into my inbox (No Folder). If it's an email, I forward it to my Toodledo contact. very easy.
tbaker

Posted: Feb 27, 2010
As an IT consultant who's constantly on the road I found the same need in recording thoughts and tasks while driving and otherwise hands-capacitated.

I tried fitting Dragon into my productivity, but it didn't work well. What I was ultimately looking for was voice recording to my inbox (ideally directly to toodledo...) and also tried Jott and was severely underwhelmed.

What I finally ended up using was a fantastic iPhone app called MailMe Voice. It's a paid app that simply starts recording when it's opened and then emails the voice recording to a predefined email address.

There is no security concern here, since you can (and in fact have to) define your own email server for the data to go through.

I couple this with an outlook rule that grabs the emails incoming and sticks them right into a "Voice Notes" folder and I have outlook list this folder right in my main view with the total number of items (not unread, but total items). This is a great way of listing what you have on your mind without having to type it when you can't.

Once back in front of a computer, I play the wav file and all the thoughts I had are replayed for me, which I can act on then. Using the toodledo email address I have assigned, I can foward that email on using the convention to add it to the folder I need, with the due-date and priority I need. The best part of this, is doing it this way, I have my original voice note attached to the toodledo task (Pro Plus member).

This message was edited Feb 27, 2010.
gjblair

Posted: Mar 02, 2010
In my Feb 3 post I said

"it may come at a security price too high for some people."

Just because one or many individuals don't have security concerns doesn't mean that other people won't have those concerns.

The previous post by tbaker has a flawed statement:

"There is no security concern here, since you can (and in fact have to) define your own email server for the data to go through."

Unless the transmission to your email server is encrypted, there are potentially many hops along the way to your server where the message could be read/heard and/or copied and later replayed.

I'm sure there are many people who won't care about that, but some might. As a security professional (CISSP), it's what I do all day long. I find voice memos very effective, but am painfully aware that all non-encrypted Internet transmissions are subject to intercept.
mossman4x4

Posted: Mar 03, 2010
What if my gmail is set to go secure (https)? Does that even help. I know we're talking about two things here; email vulnerability, and the process of Dragon running the voice memo through their own server.
mossman4x4

Posted by tbaker:[/quote]

You're very close to what I want to see. The .wav may be ok but I prefer the ability to cut and paste into other applications. If I could set Dragon up with a default email then I'd be golden. As of now it takes longer to pick the address and send the email than it does to record the thought.
gjblair

Using encryption generally resolves a lot of privacy issues. However, go to Wikipedia and search for "man-in-the-middle attack".

Not everyone, and not every transaction, demands the same degree of security. However, being unaware of major pitfalls can lead to all kinds of bad things, not the least of which is identify theft if you transmit the wrong kind of information via an unsecure mechanism.

As for me, I was born paranoid and my job pays me to be paranoid. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you :-)

-Gary
rex

Posted: Mar 19, 2010
Posted by mossman4x4:
Great FREE app for iPhone users. Proximo has mentioned this in another thread but I feel it deserves it's own. Plus I think there may have been some updates since the last comments.

Dragon will record you and transcribe to text which you can then email, text, or copy to clip board. With Toodledo and Evernote set up in my contacts notes or tasks are added easily even when I'm driving or other times when I can't write them down. If you haven't seen this it is worth a look.

dragon puts the dictated text into the body of the email but toodledo wants it in the subject.
It would be great if toodledo would use the body text as the todo item text when the subject is blank,
but sadly toodledo ignores emails with blank subjects. Please consider fixing this- it would make
toodledo+dragon the perfect combo!
msnoel68

Posted: Mar 21, 2010
dragon puts the dictated text into the body of the email but toodledo wants it in the subject.
It would be great if toodledo would use the body text as the todo item text when the subject is blank,
but sadly toodledo ignores emails with blank subjects. Please consider fixing this- it would make
toodledo+dragon the perfect combo!
You use Vlingo for this

This message was edited Mar 21, 2010.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.