ForumsTips & Tricks"Completed" tasks that aren't complete

"Completed" tasks that aren't complete
Dan

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I'm looking for a tip on a technique for this as I've come across it before and I'm sure will come across it in the future...

I have a project that has some tasks in it. The project was canceled. I have quite a bit of notes and such in the tasks that I'd like to keep because I think they could be useful in another similar project down the road. So I don't want to delete the tasks, but I also don't want to mark them "complete" because ... well, its the principle of the matter on that. :)

Unless I missed it there's no way to archive individual tasks, so in the past I've created a new folder with a name like "Archives" and put those tasks in there without due dates so they're not complete but they're not active either. I'd like to keep the tasks in their relevant folders and if possible be able to hide them from my "All Tasks" list since they're not active. Its sort of a hack, so I thought I'd see if anyone has any thoughts on ways to improve that. Thanks!
Andrew A

Posted: Mar 25, 2010
A "Due After" future task seems like the right approach to part of your question
https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=77

I suppose you could set it far enough in the future that you wouldn't have to go in and rework the date too frequently. But wouldn't this be better stored in like a tickler folder in case some of the notes or ideas become relevant at some point in the near future (though this is more appropriate to a reference folder I would think, but hesitate to suggest how your mind would translate that into Toodledo. For my part, reference is an external source of data to Toodledo, still a fan of paper and Evernote).

Full disclosure: new to GTD, enjoyed the book, Like Toodledo's flexibility.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2010.
Dan

Posted: Mar 26, 2010
Perhaps you're right, Andrew. I keep all reference material outside of Toodledo anyway, so perhaps my best bet would be to move it off of Toodledo. Thanks for the tips!
roddyt

Posted: Mar 29, 2010
Toodledo can handle this, no tricks necessary. Set the task status to Canceled. As long as your filter is set to hide deferred tasks, it won't appear in your task list.
Dan

Posted: Mar 29, 2010
Can't believe I overlooked that. Its always something simple, thanks roddyt!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.