ForumsTips & TricksWhat's up with Remember the Milk?

What's up with Remember the Milk?
andrew.yeh.10

Posted: Apr 11, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Hi, everyone. First post here.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum section to ask, but, what's up with Remember the Milk? It's development has stopped, it can't export or import tasks, its functionality is low compared to Toodledo...and, somehow, Remember the Milk is one of the most recommended task managers ever.

There seems to be something wrong about that. The only reason I can think of is that Remember the Milk looks pretty, but Toodledo looks just as pretty if you take the time to install a userstyle.

I just don't get it. Maybe I'm taking the Windows side of the Mac vs PC debate?
Transisto

Score: -9 Reference
Look like the legacy Toodledo and RTM todo app are both death.

I look forward to invest my time and $ into a new venture with more vision, maybe open source, or with some solid budget/management/team.

That is very unfortunate.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2010.
mccotter

Score: 0 Reference
I don't think RTM is that pretty (the web interface). It's very minimal and somewhat cleaner than Toodledo, but the layout leaves something to be desired. It doesn't support subtasks either and apparently the developers have nailed that coffin shut, don't plan on ever implementing subtasks.
andrew.yeh.10

If its not looks, then why does Remember the Milk have more popularity? Its not functions, definitely.
Jon_R

Posted by Transisto:
Look like the legacy Toodledo and RTM todo app are both death.

I look forward to invest my time and $ into a new venture with more vision, maybe open source, or with some solid budget/management/team.

That is very unfortunate.

I fail to see how Toodledo is a dead service? There have been many updates and additions to the service during the past year. You might want to read through the news forum - just because a feature that you might be wanting has not been added does not mean things have not been improved.
Andrew A

There's something to be said about a great name ant perhaps the level of task management is apprpriate to their user base. I turned one friend onto toodledo and another to reqall. The reqal user is in love and doesn't need or thinks he needs anything approahing td. Not familiar with their forums, but that could be part if it and what they envision for their product.

As far as vision goes, I think toodledo has it nearly right. Flexibilty for various tasking approaches including gtd. There's nothing in my reading of Allen's works that ever says what gtd looks like, just that your customized system achieve certain goals through suggested mental And physical approaches that take burden and psychic cost off the user.
Transisto

Posted: Apr 16, 2010
Score: -3 Reference
This web app is bogus in many ways and the only little improvement made lately (6 month) are to the iPhone and that iPad app , Wich, I must say, is very far from the competition. (I don't use the app anymore, and no don't plan on carrying around that big iPad,)

2do, appigo, PI, are some of my favorite
Jon_R

Posted: Apr 17, 2010
Posted by Transisto:
This web app is bogus in many ways and the only little improvement made lately (6 month) are to the iPhone and that iPad app

Just curious on why you continue to use the service then if it is "bogus"?
Transisto

Posted: Apr 19, 2010
because all those alternatives sync with toodledo,

and I keep using the web interface because I have hope it will improve one day.
In the meanwhile I try to learn my way around bugs.

This message was edited Apr 19, 2010.
Joyce

Posted: Apr 20, 2010
I love Toodledo for what I'm using it for (household management, daily to do)

RTM mystified me from the start!

PI stinks if you lack robust web access. and I had nothing but problems with it interfacing with other services. It straight out would NOT put events into my google calendar and would hang any time I tried to delete anything at home.

I use both the on line part and the iPhone touch app which I love. I don't own an iPad and plan on waiting until gen 2 at the earliest to get one.
CJD

Posted: May 03, 2010
I concur Toodledo is the most flexible and easy to customize.
I was led away to Nirvana by a gtd guru and found it to be non-functional.
PeterW 

Posted by CJD:
I concur Toodledo is the most flexible and easy to customize.
I was led away to Nirvana by a gtd guru and found it to be non-functional.

I suspected this might be the case. I tried to sign up to the Nirvana beta to check it out but they seemed quite ham-fisted at the sign-up process (took weeks to respond). After looking at the list of things they have not yet implemented, I realised that it wasn't actually going to cut it for me.
Andrew A

@Peter
I've got to tell you, from strctly a Gtd perspective, and not commenting on td, I'm suspicious of these services that have so promininently created a digital inbox anchor as a key part of the ui and workflow (like nirvana) while shouting gtd. If you've time enough to type a note or forward an email you've time enough to process it 90% of the time (reviewing into a review pile as one of the specific no nos).
PeterW 

Hi Andrew,

That's a very good point. This kind of rigid approach makes a system counter-intuitive to productivity.
Lance

Posted: May 04, 2010
Andrew,

For me, this is one of the biggest obstacles. I didn't realize how much I was forwarding tasks to my TD inbox just to avoid doing the task. So, what I did was extend the 2 minute rule out to 2 to 5 minutes, just reply to the damn email, and get 'er done!

As for the Nirvana discussion going on... from my perspective they are not ready for prime-time. Their GUI is nice and all, but does not play well with all browsers. And they have a laundry list of stuff to implement yet, so their functionality is very limited. Frankly, I'd go back to paper. I've been following David Allen's GTD practices for almost a decade, and I'm not moving away from TD anytime soon.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.