ForumsTips & TricksHow to create a custom Hotlist

How to create a custom Hotlist
PeterW 

Posted: Jul 13, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
If you want to build your own Hotlist but need additional criteria to those provided in the default Hotlist (i.e. due date and priority), here is how you can do it using a saved search.

My desired criteria are:
1. Items that are due today
2. Items that are due tomorrow
3. Items that are overdue
4. Items that have high priority
5. Items that have top priority
6. Items that are starred

Items 1-5 can be handled by Toodledo's default Hotlist, so the only additional criteria I've added is #6 which add's 'starred' items. Of course you can add additional criteria if you wish or change the number of days ahead to display for due dates.

Match ANY of the following criteria
Checked off = No
Due date is before today
Due date is not no date
or
Checked off = No
Due date is in the next 1 day
or
Checked off = No
Priority is 2 High
or
Checked off = No
Priority is 3 Top
or
Checked off = No
Starred = Yes

Note that you must set the search to match "any" criteria so that you get the "or" operand between rules.

A few minor issues:
a. Task counts are not displayed on Search tabs
b. No ability to email this list (like you can with the default hotlist)
Andrew A

Posted: Jul 14, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Nice...

why not just cover everything and add saved searches to the e-mail to me dropdown?
benny

Re: setting the search to match any criteria:

You can also just define the search as:

Checked off = No
AND
Due Date is before today
OR
Due date is ...
OR
Priority = ...
OR
Starred = ...

That's been my hotlist since I started using TD. I would do anything to get saved searches in the API so that awesome apps like Got To Do and the utilities I've written against the TD API could take advantage of them. As it is, I've had to implement my own saved searches that approximate my TD saved searches to make things work within my system. Plus the Slim site needs to support them as well.

Saved searches are POWERFUL and I believe they need to spread throughout the land, starting with my account :)

benster
benny

BTW, just to clarify, the indention above in the search should be defined as everything after the AND is indented to indicate that there are two AND clauses with the second one consisting of all the ORed items.

benster
PeterW 

@benny - I tried this but it didn't work for me.

The problem is that in addition to items that are overdue or due today or the next 1 day, I also want to see items that have no due date but are either starred or have a high or top priority.

Using one AND with many ORs results in all my items with no due dates appearing in the hotlist. This is why I had to split up my rules.

Unless I misunderstood something?
benny

Posted: Jul 15, 2010
That's what I use it for. My hotlist is defined basically as tasks that are overdue or due in the next 14 days or have a priority of Top or are starred or have a status of Active. The way that I posted is the way that I have it defined and it works fine for me. I get tasks that have no due date but are starred or set to Active or have a priority of Top along with tasks that have due dates that fall in the search criteria as well.

One thing to note is that I use the clause:

- Due Date is in the last 999 days

to qualify that the task is overdue. I don't think TD supports:

- Due Date is before today

When I put that clause in then I get almost all of my tasks including ones that shouldn't be there at all.

benster
benny

I thought I had a major sense of deja vu here...

Previous topic started by me on this

benster
PeterW 

@benny - cool, thanks. Makes sense.

Using "due before today" works the way I've set my search up but your saved search is a lot smaller and neater.

I just tweaked mine to include 'start date is before tomorrow' to hide tasks that I don't want to see until their actual start date.

Save searches are very cool. But I really want task counts on the tabs now, and a way to sort them without using numbers.
benny

No prob - and I really want task counts, too. I've been pimping for saved searches for a long time (since that linked post, I guess, since that's when I originally moved to TD) so I'd love to see them get some API and interface love.

benster
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.