ForumsTips & Trickstags for projects

tags for projects
settenano

Posted: Jul 22, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
What if instead of folders and subtasks I use tags to manage projects? I could create a tag for the whole project and sub-tags for the different parts of it.
Would it work?
Claudio

Well, the advantage of using Tags to manage your projects is that you can have multiple tags for each task, whereas you can have only one Folder or Goal per task. But, keep in mind that at least one of those tags could have been a Folder or a Goal.

You'll have a lot of tags and you'll need a very clear and disciplined approach to name and group the various types of tags and subtags.

It could work, but I suggest you try it will a small number of projects and tasks. If it doesn't work, you can use the Search and Multi-Edit function to assign the tasks to various Folders and Goals. If it works, let us know how you did it. :)

This message was edited Jul 22, 2010.
dg

I tried using tags and had issues described here...

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/5333/0/view-by-tag-not-working-as-well-as-slimtags.html

Since you can't sort the way the tags tabs are organized, plus the non-standard way Toodledo lists tags with multiple tags on the tags summary screen...I find tags tantalizing, but ultimately very unsatisfying.
settenano

I was not thinking about sorting by tags. I'd rather choose the tag view, and then depending on what tag you choose is like you have opened a folder: you'll see all the "subtasks" with that tag.
And the tasks with multiple tags will appear in all of the different "folders".
I agree that you cannot have so many tags, or it will become difficult to manage, but with few of them I think it could work.
At least until Toodledo fixes the indentation issue.
michael.salerno

Posted: Aug 08, 2010
This is how I use Stars and Tags (to avoid complex tagging) . I use Stars only for items I want to accomplish TODAY. In my iPhone app, I can view them all quickly with the Star view.
I use Tags only as an "Action Tag" meaning I identify the next action I need to take (ultimately the only thing I really care about). I keep it real simple here - the tag is either "Next Action" or "Waiting", which means I must do the next task OR I follow-up with someone who I am waiting to get something done so I can complete my project/deliverable. Given I may not work on every project everyday, or won't be bugging someone everyday, I use Stars for what I need to complete TODAY.

SUMMARY: I do not sort, but rather Filter Tags for displaying what action I need to focus on next. Then I start marking what will be done today with Stars. Displaying Stars (visual indicator) is all I need for a quick daily check (and I set the Star list as my Application Badge on the iPhone). Hope this helps.

Cheers, Michael
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.