ForumsTips & TricksTIP: Create a List of Common Tags

TIP: Create a List of Common Tags
kirbyg

Posted: Aug 19, 2010
Score: 6 Reference
I have a small list of tasks at any given time, which can be one of many different tags.

I want to keep the list of tags around so my tags are consistent but I may not have a todo item for every tag at any given time.

To make sure I can always choose from the popup list, I just created a todo item called "Tag Master", gave it a priority of -1 so it never shows up anywhere important, and then gave it one of every tag that I want to use.

Now when I create a new todo, I know the tag choice list will be correctly populated and I don't need to remember my tags.
PeterW 

Score: 0 Reference
That is very cool! Thanks for the tip.
Salgud

Great idea!
Salgud

Posted: Aug 20, 2010
I tried doing that, but I can only assign so many tags (limited by total number of characters, I believe) to a task. If I want to create more tags this way, do I have to have another "tag" task? Any other suggestions?
kirbyg

Posted: Aug 23, 2010
No other suggestions, but I think multiple "tag tasks" is a fine solution.

The character limit for tags is a bit annoying, but the workaround is simple and once done you should never have to do it again.
pabert

Posted: Nov 15, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
I have the same need, that is to keep a list of master tags available even if some are not currently in use. Why is there not a master list available that can be edited?

A very similar program in many ways, ToDo by Appigo, has a very nice implementation for tags. I use it on both my iPad and iPhone and use Toodledo to keep them in sink.
e.perez

Posted: Jan 08, 2011
Tags should be managed exactly the same as Folders or Contexts, on the left menu. Thanks for the tip but it's annoying to have to do this as managing a list of tags would be far better !

For instance, updating a tag would change all the tasks.

Hope it will be part of a future update !

Eric.
Alan

Posted: Jan 09, 2011
Posted by e.perez:
Tags should be managed exactly the same as Folders or Contexts, on the left menu. Thanks for the tip but it's annoying to have to do this as managing a list of tags would be far better !
Agree 100%. Tags should be a separate item, managed independently from the left menu.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 10, 2011
Agreed. I think tags are one of the weak points in TD and could be greatly improved. In addition to making them like folders and contexts in their own list, we should also have to option to have them appear, when adding/deleting tags, in a aphabetically sorted list, rather than the "cloud". I belive this is on "The List".
k.jarosz Post deleted
cappy

Posted: Mar 31, 2011
Score: 3 Reference
I agree. Tags should be managed like contexts and folders. Please implement this. I also thought about creating a "master tag list", but doesn't this add to the total count when sorting by tags? I think it would annoy me to always see 1 task left unfinished in each category when I sort by tags.
ronallen

Posted: Apr 25, 2011
add me to the list of paid subscribers that wants tags to be a list. I didn't even understand how it worked until I came here. I kept looking for a place in account settings to add to the list.
Marty_1316446083

Posted: Sep 20, 2011
Consider me one of the paid users that believes this should DEFINITELY be a part of the left side!!! The developer/moderator didn't appear to comment or acknowledge this. Has anybody heard anything?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.