ForumsTime ManagementTask Sequencing?

Task Sequencing?
DSM_2

Posted: Dec 31, 2013
Score: 0 Reference
Does anyone do task sequencing with Toodledo? That is, how would you show that TaskB should be worked on when TaskA is finished? As far as I can see, the only way to sequence tasks in Toodledo is via DueDate, but that's very problematic and coarse-grained. I suppose you could create a List/Outline in Toodledo that is the sequence of tasks you want to do, but:

1. Toodledo doesn't yet support List/Outline on iOS, so you could refer to your sequence on your phone.
2. Toodledo doesn't (AFAIK) allow linking of List/Outline items to tasks so that you could jump to the underlying task.
3. You couldn't really use Toodledo's task management tools to manage items on your List/Outline.

Any other ideas on this?
tophyd

Posted: Jan 02, 2014
What I do, is create a task that tells me to work on the task list and repeats based on the completion date, then put the task list in the Notes for that task. When I finish what I'm going to do for the day, I put an "X" in front of any tasks I completed, and then close the task. It will then re-appear on my task list with the completed items checked off. If there are a lot of items on a task list, I'll delete the completed ones from my active entry every once in a while, if not, it isn't worth the trouble.

Not perfect, but it works for me.
DSM_2

So users are finding workarounds for something that Toodledo should do by itself...

I think I understand your process. It would be better to do this with Outlines, but Outlines is not yet supported in the mobile apps.
tophyd

Correct. I need my system to work for mobile as well. Plus, Outlines don't work with the version of IE we're required to use at work, and if I understand it correctly, I would need to pay more to get the level of integration I would want with my task list.

Plus, I started using it long before there were Outlines.

I have also done it by making a task for the overall thread, for example "Make sure I'm on track with Smith project" and make the individual tasks sub-tasks under that. I change the due date of the overall thread to tell me when I should check for next actions again. Any notes on dependancies, etc. would be in the notes for the overall thread.

It would be great of Toodledo could do it by itself, and I imagine it either will, or it will fade into history and be replaced by something that can. However, I don't know if I'd agree that it should right now. Task dependancies is something I think of as more of a project management tool doing, rather than a task list. As technologies improve, these tool types will probably merge together. In the mean time, I haven't seen a great task list from a project management tool, and I haven't seen great project management functionality from a task list tool. And keep in mind, that while task list tools are taking over project management functionality, they're also being asked to take over time management, and inbox management, and the file cabinet, and report creation, and all kinds of things I never dreamed of 20 years ago.
DSM_2

Posted: Jan 04, 2014
Yeah, I think I know what you mean...

Mind you, I think task dependencies would be highly useful (do THIS after THOSE) even from the task management perspective. Most already do the parent/child relationships (THIS is done when all THOSE are done). The next would be scripting (IFTTT is a step in that direction). For task management to grow up into project management, not only will it have to do Gantt/Pert charts (ie. task dependencies), but also need to factor in resource utilization and other thngs that the project tools do. That's probably a long way off.
tophyd

Posted: Jan 06, 2014
Agreed. I'd love it if it did. I just have to keep reminding myself how many more functions Toodledo has than the paper todo list I was using 15 years ago, which also didn't do task dependencies. :-)
Salgud

Posted: Jan 07, 2014
Posted by tophyd:
Agreed. I'd love it if it did. I just have to keep reminding myself how many more functions Toodledo has than the paper todo list I was using 15 years ago, which also didn't do task dependencies. :-)

I guess some may choose to compare TD to paper and pencil, or even stone and chisel, but I compare it to what else is available on the market. :)
mclapper

Posted: Jan 17, 2014
Score: 2 Reference
I've abandoned Zendone and come back to toodledo full-bore but one of the nicest features of zendone was its tracking of next actions... when a next action was completed, the "next" task in the project (organized manually by drag and drop) became the Next Action.

Similarly, as I recall the Next Action functionality in the Netcentrics GTD Add-in for Outlook, when the Next Action was completed, there was an option to create the new Next Action. Maybe Toodledo could present the remaining tasks in a project and the user could star the one that should be the new Next Action?

Matt
Salgud

Posted: Jan 17, 2014
I just go to my Saved Search, "Projects", and select the appropriate project (Do a Permanent Link if I'm going to edit more things), expand to see all subtasks, mark the one done and make the next one Next Action. If it's already on my Saved Search "Hotlist" (custom one, not the TD one), I don't even have to go to my Projects view.
wasmith108

Posted: Feb 26, 2014
Been reading through and I apologize if I've missed the direct answer...

I am trying to sort task sequence by a rank within priority, and don't see how to do it. I don't care if it is an alpha or numeric listing, I just want to sort within priority. I currently use context, so can't fudge that field.

Does anyone know if ranking within priority is possible?
ykphuah

Posted: Feb 26, 2014
Just append 1 2 3 in front of the task and then sort alphabetically after sorting by priority? I do that to my subtasks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.