ForumsTime ManagementHow do you Toodledo?

How do you Toodledo?
Bridget K

Posted: Jun 04, 2014
Score: 1 Reference
Do you use toodledo in a unique way? Maybe you use Toodledo to keep up creative interests or hobbies? Does it help productivity in your business?

I'd like to hear your unique Toodledo story!
terredean111

Posted: Sep 25, 2014
Score: -12 Reference
Hi,

No i have not used this yet. Instead i install a new software: http://www.labortimetracker.com. I found this software suitable for my organization.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2014.
smon

Posted: Oct 10, 2014
Score: 0 Reference
Hi Bridget,

Welcome to the team. I actually have two Toodledo accounts, one Silver and one Gold. The Silver one I use for Home and the Gold one for Work. Not very GTD but found it easier to divide up what needs to be done. I then use different apps to work with the different lists on my devices.

Hope that helps,

Simon.
Salgud

Posted: Oct 10, 2014
Curious as to what "different apps" you use. Are they 3rd party apps? Desktop or iOS or Android?
smon

Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Yes, third party apps. I use the Toodledo IOs app, 2Do app from Guided Ways Tech and Todo from Appigo.
smon

Posted: Oct 11, 2014
Sorry also use 2Do app on the Mac.
M

Posted: Oct 15, 2014
Score: 3 Reference
My "unique" TD story probably isn't terribly unique, and it's kind of embarrassing, actually. I'm not diagnosed, but I feel very ADHD/OCD. I have an extremely busy mind and, if I don't write stuff down that passes THROUGH my mind, I go crazy because I quickly forget it and then expend all sorts of energy trying to remember what it was.

I really need to get help with that compulsion but, in the meantime, I use TD as my "brain dump." I try to put everything I think of that needs to be done, researched, followed-up on, considered, read... into TD. Then, later, I can go back through and determine if it really was worth capturing, and can prioritize it, delete it, or put it somewhere where I just feel better knowing that I didn't let it go.

Probably not the kind of story you're looking for, but it's mine!
Bridget K

Posted: Dec 30, 2014
Posted by M:
Probably not the kind of story you're looking for, but it's mine!

Your story is absolutely what I'm looking for. Thankyou for sharing!

:)

BK
Ann M

Posted: Jan 06, 2015
Posted by M:
I try to put everything I think of that needs to be done, researched, followed-up on, considered, read... into TD. Then, later, I can go back through and determine if it really was worth capturing, and can prioritize it, delete it, or put it somewhere where I just feel better knowing that I didn't let it go.

This is perfect and exactly how I use the app as well. It's the best tool out there for this need.
Salgud

Posted: Jan 06, 2015
One of the many things I use TD to track are the various meetings I organize, prepare for, set up the room for, take minutes for, and follow up on. Since these are monthly meetings, I use templates for each. One of them has over 30 tasks.

At the beginning of the month (the meetings are all late in the month), I create a new instance of that meeting, and name it something like "PAG Dec 18". I'll explain why I put the date in the name later. I set the Due Date for the meeting date and start time. (In parallel with my TD efforts, I also have set up repeating appointments in GCal, and invite the participants from there early in this process.)

The first items on the list are about getting the necessary resources together, such as conference calling and online meeting info to send out the participants prior to the meeting. The list also includes things like reserving a fleet car for myself, reserving a projector, laptop and conference phone, etc., where required.

I also send a reminder to the chairperson(s) a few days before I send out the general reminder, reminding them to prepare the agenda and send it to me to forward to the participants with the participants reminder.

I have a view in my Saved Searches which shows all the meetings I have current tasks for, filtered on a tag "Mtg", and sorted by Due Date. So the next meeting up is at the top of the list. After the meeting is over, I delete the Due Date, since I don't want it to show Overdue. This is why I have the date in the Name field, so that past meetings, for which I still have a list of tasks that must be done, are easily identifiable in the list. Since that view is sorted by Due Date, the meetings without Due Dates anymore show at the bottom, just where I want them. The last task for each meeting reminds me to create a new instance of that meeting for the next month.

The list of meetings is one of my WR (Weekly Review) views in Saved Searches, and the status of each meeting gets reviewed every Monday in my Weekly Review. This works well for me to keep me abreast of where I am with each meeting.

I'd be interested in how others track meetings in TD. I get that GTDrs don't track meetings other than in their calendars, but for the rest of us, it can be extremely useful this way.
GM+

Posted: Jan 12, 2015
Score: 4 Reference
Hi Bridget,

I use Toodledo to organize my life and focus/track my goals, projects and tasks.
So I use:

- Goals section für my goals (private and business)
- Folder section for my projects (unfortunatley not "direct" asigned to the goals)
- Context for area of life (like business, social, health, spirit ....)
- Tasks for the actions related to the projects or direct to the goals

The last 10 years I tried several task/goal mgmt sercices and I always returned to Toodledo because of the wide range of functions and the stability behind.

If I had a wish, I would like to have:

1. A function like projects to realize a workflow from goal => project => task => subtask.
2. A more practical UI to view progress and the connection between goals, tasks, habits, maybe list and so on...
3. Windows Phone support; the plattform is growing... ;)

I like the new Habits section very much and the design. A possibility to link this to goals/projects/task would be great.

Thanks for the great work !

Gunter
Ann M

Posted: Jan 13, 2015
I currently use outlines to house my visions, goals, and areas of focus, but in addition I have moved all my someday tasks and projects there too. While the functionality of tasks/folders works better for my someday items having all of them co-mingled makes it kind of unmanageable. The issue is that I would go from having 200+ items to 400+ items and while folders and search help to manage the extra I don't like the someday items to come up when I do random searches which I do daily to find related items. If there was a way to have two instances of the tasks tab running at once so that I can separate the someday items from all the other items that would be great.

Ann
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 13, 2015
Posted by GM+:
"If I had a wish, I would like to have:

1. A function like projects to realize a workflow from goal => project => task => subtask.
2. A more practical UI to view progress and the connection between goals, tasks, habits, maybe list and so on...
I like the new Habits section very much and the design. A possibility to link this to goals/projects/task would be great."
Gunter

1+ for a visible/logical connection and flow from Long-term Goal => Medium-term Goal => Short-term Goal => Project => Task => Subtask => Note. It would really make our lives more intentional and organised, with very little falling through the gaps.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2015.
Pascal Zweipfenning

Posted: Feb 26, 2015
Score: -1 Reference
I try to catch anything I need to do in Toodledo in the Inbox folder. Works, home, volunteer work, sports, shopping etc. From there I decide what to do with it. Many tasks are coming in via my work email, which I forward to Toodledo. For each project (folder in Toodledo) I keep a Next Action using the task status field. I do have quit some filters setup to be able to list all the tasks I want to see at a certain moment of the day/week. Using a Stat of Day and end of Day GTD checklist is part of the routine. I have those setup in the Outline section and linked them to the tasks for these daily routines.

I have reference project setup that I use to create my wok projects/tasks. I just clone them and via a edit them using the multi-edit function to assign them to the correct folder and context. Each folder represents a project. In each project I have a reference task in which I keep notes on the overall status of the project.

What I miss in Toodledo is a hierarchy level on top of the folder. I would like to be able to keep my work and private projects/folders/tasks separated. I work as a consultant at different customers and want to be able to hide/unhide the projects/folders depending on the customer I'm working at that moment. Also my private tasks I want to hide when being at work. Nobody needs to see my 'painting the house' project at work. So a kind of area of responsibility level on top would be very helpful for me. (have a look at gtdnext.com how solved it).

I general I try to stick to the GTD principles as much as possible since that works best for me. So wight everything down on Toodledo (so I can forget about it), decide what needs to be done with it, and then do it!

I have been using many different 'Todo' apps of which Toodledo was the very first, I used for a few years, after which I started looking at and using several different other apps, and returning to Toodledo only a few weeks ago.

The main reason for people not to use Toodledo is the current web interface which is not very appealing. But since you are working very hard to get that fixed I think Toodledo will be seeing many more users signing up.

Keep up the goods work.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.